Issue with Jrok encoder on MVS MV1FZ

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I seem to be getting some static on some colored areas. It looks like diagonal lines are going through certain areas. However, some other colored areas look clean and fine. I'll post some pics when I get home from work.

I've been searching around the forums and i found 2 relevant threads.
This one is my problem exactly. However, it doesn't seem like anyone solved this??

Then there is this thread. It looks like the OP bought a sync cleaner, but that didn't seem to solve his problem. He then purchased an "extron rgb interface" Unfortunately I am not using vga at all so I don't think I could use one of those. Another person later mentioned doing a low-pass noise filter addition mod, but I have absolutely no idea what anything in the pdf they linked to means.

Has anyone verified a solution to the problem from the first thread? It seemed like it was too old to dig up so I decided to create a new thread.

Power supply: AULT SC200 ITE
Encoder: Jrok v.4

Videos of Issue
White Text with lines
Cross Hatch Test
Uni Bios Green Text

EDIT
Component and S-video out produces clear high quality video with no static. It is only Composite that causes the problem.
I tried the 1k potentiometer on the sync line fix, but it didn't change anything. I'm currently waiting for a sync cleaner to come in the mail to try that out

EDIT
I just installed a sync cleaner. It didn't do shit.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That doesn't look like an encoder issue, more of an unstable sync problem. The encoder doesn't change anything in the sync signal, the frequency is the same going in and out of it.

You can try adding a 1k pot on the sync line in series and see if that helps.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Is this something that the jrok sync cleaner would cover?

You suggest I just add one of these in series between jamma pin and the jrok encoder?

Last edited:

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
What TV are you using?

I'm no electrical engineer so the low-pass filter mod is something I'm trying to understand.. but the TV *could* very well be the reason why you're experiencing those symptoms..

Also, which video output are you using from the JROK? Composite, S-video, or Component?

Here's what I've noticed on my 42" Viera Panasonic Plasma TV (from like 2008), and I have a 1k pot connected like so - 0fXPd.jpg

Composite video - blurry graphics as expected from a Neo (too bad it's not like a turbografx which is actually pretty damn good!).. but also visible waves, noticeable twitchy artifacts or slightly twitchy graphics during like crosshatch or still images - not so easily noticeable during gameplay

S-video - nicely sharp graphics, screen cleaned up well with not so noticeable waves, much less noticeable artifacts during still images but they are present if you have a good eye. only sometimes can the screen can get ever so slightly twitchy

Component video - VERY SHARP AND CLEAN graphics compared to S-video, waves are not really noticeable at all, no twitchy screens or artifact (i mean they *could* be there but I have not found them yet)

Overall, the 1k pot helps center the images and slightly alter how jumpy or distorted the screen gets.. but like i said, it depends on which TV you're using and some TV's like certain video outputs compared to others from the JROK..

Try on another TV

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I've used 3 different tvs . CRT, LED, and LCD. All with the same issue. I'm picking up a 1K pot today, and I have ordered s-video cables and a sync cleaner. I have not yet used s-video so I'm not sure what the output for that looks like. When I try to do component, my TVs say invalid input. i have only successfully used Composite So far.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it says invalid input it usually means it requires a minimum resolution of 480i. Arcade standard res is 240p.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Make sure you are using a good quality set of red-yellow-white composite cables.I believe I had a problem similar to this one until I just grabbed a set of quality cables(Im going to have to document stuff more!!). The Playstation cables and alike are of poor quality.
BB

Last edited:

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I got some new RGB and s-video cables today. I was able to get component on my crt working! The video through the svideo and RGB cables is clear as day. It seems to be just the composite, and it happens with all the composite cables that I have tried. I'm thinking I may install the pot to the sync line, although I'm strting to think that there isn't much point since the component and svideo work great.

EDIT
I just installed the pot. No change to the quality

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since basically made a supergun since you used a JAMMA harness, unplug the mvs board and try another to rule out the mvs board or jrok.

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I haven't been able to test my setup with another Jamma board, but what I did do was order a Neobitz encoder a couple of days ago from Jamma-nation, and I installed it today. To my surprise the video was much higher quality when outputting composite than the JROK encoder. Although there is still some fuzziness, it is not nearly as bad. I think the both the JROK encoder and the MVS are at fault here.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
I had that very same problem on my 1fz's.

The problem is the SYNC line is very weird on this board.
--> 1k Pot on SYNC line, will do the job just fine ...

cheers

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
perhaps get another MVS board instead? like a MV-1C or MV-1B - just to rule out the board like Xian said

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Try another power supply. If you need another SC200, I might have one. Just shoot me a PM.