Is this shit for real?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah not against repro cases (I like shock boxes) but 80 bucks for 10? 'syway robbery mate.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I have one repro US Saturn case. Ordered a bootleg US copy of Deep Fear off of a guy on Etsy last year as it never saw a US release. Was quite impressed with the quality of the case. No idea where he got the cases he used, though, I do know it wasn't an original.

I was out of the retro scene from about 2012 to 2018 and holy fuck I couldn't believe the price spike in just 6 years. Shit, even the last 2 years I've been paying attention I've seen it continue to rise. I guess there aren't many "hidden gems" anymore thanks to YouTube.

There are a small collection of consoles I support, but it's mostly AES and Mega Drive - and even then, I always try to source bare carts/cds and just get a repro case to keep costs down. Not a shelf collector, so I only buy games I'll play - but only to a certain price point.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
You do realize that a 10 pack of shockboxes is $113.00 right?
I haven't bought any, but if anything, shockboxen are a custom job that didn't exist. These are plastic CD boxes. No reason for the plastic that cost probably $0.50 to make should be eight dollars.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I haven't bought any, but if anything, shockboxen are a custom job that didn't exist. These are plastic CD boxes. No reason for the plastic that cost probably $0.50 to make should be eight dollars.

The tooling for a shockbox was paid off a long long time ago. You’re right that Plastic injection molding isn’t expensive, but it’s a niche market so the margin is high. So low production runs.

These are low production runs too since Saturn collectors are only using these to replace the notably fragile ones sega used.

You can’t compare it to standard cd case production When you can’t mass produce something on the same level. It won’t get produced on the same level because it’s not sold on the same level.

Would I pay $80 for 10? No. I don’t care enough. But i do have shockboxes.

But as far as it being “a custom job that didn’t exist” so was this - sega made the cases and that’s it. Now LRG either bought the tooling or they had to make an entirely new custom buck, then make the tooling.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Don't know why shockbox prices got so crazy. They should be like $5 a pop but whatever. Ill keep my shit loose till someone comes up with a cheaper plastic solution.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Don't know why shockbox prices got so crazy. They should be like $5 a pop but whatever. Ill keep my shit loose till someone comes up with a cheaper plastic solution.

They were always crazy IIRC. When I got mine in 2007/2008 it was $8-9 each before shipping.

Agreed they should be cheaper for what it is, but IDK how much of the market can sustain that with MVS being as niche as it is. Shit like Genesis and SNES cases are $4 but totally different beast when you compare the amount of volume

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They were always crazy IIRC. When I got mine in 2007/2008 it was $8-9 each before shipping.

Agreed they should be cheaper for what it is, but IDK how much of the market can sustain that with MVS being as niche as it is. Shit like Genesis and SNES cases are $4 but totally different beast when you compare the amount of volume

Yea buy
T when your purchased in bulk they weren't that bad (early 2000's). I recall them being under $7. I would always purchase +20 every time but now bulk prices are still ridiculous. The shock prices are half the price of some of my carts.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Yea buy
T when your purchased in bulk they weren't that bad (early 2000's). I recall them being under $7. I would always purchase +20 every time but now bulk prices are still ridiculous. The shock prices are half the price of some of my carts.

Maybe. I wasn’t here until 07, and they were high because at the time BB wasn’t selling them. Then When Jasen started they were $8, and that’s the cheapest I got them for.

$8 wasn’t bad, now they’re steadily increasing. Not sure why.

People will sell them for a huge loss a lot of the time though, so there’s always that. If the shipping wasn’t also so much on them it would be easier on the wallet lol.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I don't know how anyone can stand NA saturn cases they are bulky and comparatively ugly to thier nice small Japanese cd cases. Nearly every used sega cd games use these and wind up cracked or broken in some way. I usually go disc only in that case. But yeah I definitely wouldn't fork over money for repro cases.. in any case.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

If you look up the process, it was $10,000's to get the molds made.
So yeah, it's $0.50 of plastic, but they need to sell a whole lot of these to remake their investment. There were also two groups that did this at the same time, so it split the demand even further.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't know how anyone can stand NA saturn cases they are bulky and comparatively ugly to thier nice small Japanese cd cases. Nearly every used sega cd games use these and wind up cracked or broken in some way. I usually go disc only in that case. But yeah I definitely wouldn't fork over money for repro cases.. in any case.
I love Sega CD and Saturn, but I hate this cases so damn much. For both systems I just put the cases in a box in storage and keep the loose CDs in a little binder.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I love Sega CD and Saturn, but I hate this cases so damn much.

The PAL Saturn cases are even worse: thin cardboard glued on a plastic framework. After a while the cardboard sinks into the voids between the plastic spokes and your case begins to look like Donovan from The Last Crusade, after he drank from the wrong grail. That is, if the poor quality paper is not torn by then anyway. Did I mention that those cases often don't close, too? Well, they use that bit of attached cellotape to do that... awful, but fuck PAL games in general.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The PAL Saturn cases are even worse: thin cardboard glued on a plastic framework. After a while the cardboard sinks into the voids between the plastic spokes and your case begins to look like Donovan from The Last Crusade, after he drank from the wrong grail. That is, if the poor quality paper is not torn by then anyway. Did I mention that those cases often don't close, too? Well, they use that bit of attached cellotape to do that... awful, but fuck PAL games in general.

Wow, what a waste. Easily, easily could have thrown in a, "For the material, they chose poorly" in there.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I’ve noticed prices have gone down a bit on n64 carts that aren’t rare...??

PS. I’ve got 4 common Cib sega cd games with uncracked cases I’d sell for $10 each. I really don’t care about selling them or not but thought I’d offer if someone needs cases, why not buy authentic rather then buying repros at around the same price .

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I’ve noticed prices have gone down a bit on n64 carts that aren’t rare...??

N64 collecting has never gone anywhere. The collectard generation is eating up Gamecube, so I think the opportunity for N64 has passed. The games aren't that great. the only novelty is the chunky cartridges. Most of the good experiences were couch co-op, and a handful of single player games.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
In one of the retro groups I follow on FB, one guy is selling a chipped PlayStation (7501) in a purple case for $200.

Doesn't include an ODE.

Lol

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I couldn't even get $50 for my JP launch PS3, I even delidded the cell and rsx too...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
In one of the retro groups I follow on FB, one guy is selling a chipped PlayStation (7501) in a purple case for $200.

Doesn't include an ODE.

Lol

I miss the time where you couldn't approach flea markets without having people throw PSX consoles at you. I have three PS1s, only one is a SCPH-5001 and they're all faulty in some ways. For instance I had to get the PSU from a 7501 for the 5001 to work again as it would reset as soon as the laser drew any power, and even with the "new" PSU I still get an image jump during the boot process. Of course all three of them have tired lasers (one outright doesn't work).

I'm only bothering with them because I'm waiting for the XStation ODE to drop (it's only compatible with PU-18 or earlier), and a new laser to arrive, so I can have one disc and one ODE system to play on. The only reason why I didn't just outright buy a guaranteed working unit is because of those insane asking prices online. I'd rather try to fix a busted one for $5.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I ask once again... Is this shit for real...

225 for an N64?
ea22e046394c62d5270038fb44fbf221.jpg

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I had like almost 20 of them around three years ago. I think they sold for around $25 each and it took a few months of the listings sitting on Ebay. I shined, tested and bought cables controllers for them all to make them complete as well.

I wouldn't think there's any kind of shortage of them. They are about one of the most reliable best built consoles of all time, they sold well I'd imagine and for me it's one of my least favorite/nostalgia holding Nintendo consoles. Seems like for a bit having four people over and playing GoldenEye was a thing but I was never into it. Then Halo overtook it.

Last edited: