Is the Wii messing up my PS3 connecting to the internet?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I can NOT, for the life of me, get my goddamn PS3 online. What a piece of shit system. For the last few weeks, it just doesn't want to get on, and I've changed NOTHING. Well, almost nothing. I bought a Wii a few weeks ago. Might that be what's messing it up? If so, for shame. Both my 360 and Wii can run online at the same time on my wireless router, but not my Ps3. What gives? Does this sound right? What makes a system just stop getting online for no reason? Again, this is a wireless router.

And I don't need someone chiming in saying "hook it up with a cable", because I just can't. Let's leave it at that. Anything I can change in my router settings that may make this 600 dollar piece of shit more internet able?

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Needs more pork!

PIC_00116thumb_JPG.jpg

In all seriousness, is your router limited to the number of wireless clients it can accept at once?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
dubdubdub said:
PIC_00116thumb_JPG.jpg

In all seriousness, is your router limited to the number of wireless clients it can accept at once?

Let's say it were... which I don't think that's an issue with, since my sister brought her laptop over a few months ago and was able to connect.... why the hell would it matter when BOTH my other consoles are off right now?

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Spike Spiegel said:
Let's say it were... which I don't think that's an issue with, since my sister brought her laptop over a few months ago and was able to connect.... why the hell would it matter when BOTH my other consoles are off right now?

Well, the Wii is probably still connected (Wii-Connect 24) unless it's unplugged or you turn off Wii-Connect 24 feature?

But if you can have your Wii and your 360 running at the same time, then I would figure it's not your Wii... My PSP doesn't work with my router unless I'm in the same room as it... (Kind of pointless...) The Wii is in the basement, while my router is in my office on the 3rd floor and the Wii and my laptop works fine.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Do you think it's a location problem? I don't know if that's it, because now it's saying "DNS error".... it can find an IP address, but little more and craps out. Gay.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
It could be your wireless security settings(I had a 360 that would not get on the network with WPA on but fine with WEP..go figure) or try changing the channel in the router(IE 1 or 11).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If I change my router channel number from 11 to 1, that may just mess up the other two for getting online. I'll figure it out sooner or later, I hope.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Try putting whatever the PS3's IP is as DMZ and see if that works.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
dmz? please dumb this down a hair for me....

Its an option in the router settings that allows you to connect the ps3 right to the modem while still being connected to the router

http://192.168.0.1

or

http://192.168.1.1

In the browser

Login: admin or administrator

Pass: Nothing or admin

Look around advanced networking for the dmz and put in the ps3 ip in.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I looked it up on my router (and mind you, I'm home)... for the SMC router I have to turn ON my firewall to get to this screen... but I don't want to turn the firewall on at all. So, this may be a last resort. Again, I don't want to mess up what IS working, and that's the Wii and 360... both of which use the online a lot more than my PS3 will.

Thanks for the help so far.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
The only other thing that I can suggest then is maybe open up your port forwarding.

But you have to find out what port the ps3 uses.

Find port forwarding on the router.

Put in the ip of the ps3

Then put in the port number the ps3 uses or if it asks for a range. Say the ps3 uses port 160

Put 159 - 161

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
Get rid of the router - I have problems with that 604E Dlink router too. I get disconnection on Xbox live. And sometimes I have to reboot my PC to get back online. I could not update the firmware. Is your firmware out of date?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Changed the channel to 1, and now everything works perfectly. Strange.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Fun update: my Wii, when on, actually makes downloads faster! Now why the hell would this be? Downloads are twice as fast when the system is on... WTF?

It's not just a coincidence, either. I've turned it on and off while the PS3 is on, and downloads are clearly faster... odd.

Last edited:

wizkid007

20 Year Member
That is odd. My wii doesnt work for beans. BUt I fixed that with a wired connection. Oh and your name is still greyed out btw. I added a new list with everybody to make it easier for people to add others. So if you havent done it, I have some wiis to send to you.

Quagmire
stormtrooper
saddam
betty boop
starvin marvin

A few others.