Is the NEO capable of running other systems? [NES, SNES GEN, PCE]

SSS

neo retired
I'm honestly surprised that photo passed initial inspection. I did a quick shit job on purpose. That was supposed to be the extent of the joke.

Josh

Banned
Whats worse, if I think about it, wasn't that photo posted before? I think I may of fell for it twice. :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The borders thing was done by Nintendo on purpose to limit the blockiness of the games, since the Game Boy has an incredibly low resolution. It also doubled as an excuse to have gimmicky artwork around the game's screen.

Please, stop making posts about hardware, you don't know ANYTHING about the subject.

Josh

Banned
The borders thing was done by Nintendo on purpose to limit the blockiness of the games, since the Game Boy has an incredibly low resolution. It also doubled as an excuse to have gimmicky artwork around the game's screen.

That's right, duh, it only makes scene. Trying to weed through the gooftroop postings in this thread distracted my point while making me realize I should of posted this in the Tech Support forum. So I wonder if a Super 8 converter could even help lay out a road map to reverse engineer a NES to NEO converter. There's a slew of them on eBay these days.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
in all seriousness man it will never happen, if you really want a all in one console your PC or maybe a modded xbox or something is the better way to go, if you would like to play NES or any other console on your arcade machine there are better ways to do that than make the neo-geo play them :)

this is how I made my genesis adapter
http://pc2jamma.mameworld.info/misc_arc1.html

Josh

Banned
in all seriousness man it will never happen, if you really want a all in one console your PC or maybe a modded xbox or something is the better way to go, if you would like to play NES or any other console on your arcade machine there are better ways to do that than make the neo-geo play them :)
It will never happen is a pretty vague statement. Want to elaborate why? Its not that I really want one console, but it would be nice to see innovating gadgets for the Neo Geo system reather than half-baked overpriced homebrew titles. Granted the NeoSaveMasta is a pretty awesome idea and is heading in the right direction, can't say much about the color choice or tacky logo, but that's besides the point, it's still awesome. This site needs less egotism and more innovation. But I guess with a catchphrase "stay for the drama." Its not necessarily screaming "intellectuals in here". Nevertheless, I bookmarked your site for future reference, thanks.

Theoretically, could NES games be displayed lets say on an AES with component output?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
That's right, duh, it only makes scene. Trying to weed through the gooftroop postings in this thread distracted my point while making me realize I should of posted this in the Tech Support forum. So I wonder if a Super 8 converter could even help lay out a road map to reverse engineer a NES to NEO converter. There's a slew of them on eBay these days.

The Super 8 adapter contains an entire Famiclone inside it (in this case, Nintendo On A Chip). Unless you have thousands of dollars to spend developing and manufacturing a new Famiclone on a pair of MVS circuit boards for an incredibly silly and counterproductive idea, you'd best stick to the modded Xbox instead. Maybe get yourself some PS2 -> Xbox adapters and buy some arcade sticks too.

Josh

Banned
The Super 8 adapter contains an entire Famiclone inside it (in this case, Nintendo On A Chip). Unless you have thousands of dollars to spend developing and manufacturing a new Famiclone on a pair of MVS circuit boards for an incredibly silly and counterproductive idea, you'd best stick to the modded Xbox instead. Maybe get yourself some PS2 -> Xbox adapters and buy some arcade sticks too.

I don't really think counter productive would be the word I would use at all. A NES to AES/MVS converter would sell. How many thousands of dollars are we talking here? It would be cool to start something with members here. Though Hong Kong is only a 4 hour flight I wonder how difficult it would be to find some who could throw this idea together.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I think it is safe to assume that developing hardware like this takes very talented individuals a great deal of hours and dollars to produce (if it's even technically possible... which I don't know if it is), because of this it would only make sense to invest that kind of time and money into something if it was marketable. I don't think anyone sees a adapter to play the games of a far more common and far cheaper console on a neogeo as a worthy investment.

EDIT: oh hey someone else already said basically the same thing :) I should click refresh when I've been away from my cpu for awhile.

Still not as awesome as Guitar Hero for the Genesis.

Don´t sweat it. It actually exists in Brazil.

mega.jpg

Super 8 is not a real NES, it´s a system on a chip, making it as good as playing on an emulator. Why the hell would you like to play an emulated system on top of the neo? So an expensive neo geo malfunction while playing Muppet Adventure on NES.

Just substitute all your consoles with a modded xbox. Much simpler.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you mean to use the neo as a power source for the converter rather than its processors, than yes the mvs mobo probably draws sufficient current safely to do that.

Though I'd wager a converter that allows neo carts to be played on the SNES would sell better. XD

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The system that you're using for emulation, it has to have a lot more power than the system being emulated. So the Neo Geo could maybe emulate a NES or Master System at best (but probably not). The extra features it has (like direct ROM access and custom chips) probably don't help it emulate a more powerful system like the Genesis.
The Genesis can run Master System games (with an adaptor), but that's because it already has the Master System hardware built into it (it doesn't have to do any emulation).

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
There's no way the Neo could emulate an entire NES or SMS. It's perceived power is actually extremely limited when applied to other tasks. The Neo is only good at doing Neo games. It's processors (68k and Z80) aren't powerful enough to emulate much of anything (and the Neo GFX chip probably can't access CPU data). On the same token, systems like the Saturn and PSX, despite technically being more powerful, just weren't designed to play Neo games.

However, using the Super Mario Bros. on Sega Genesis "port" as an example, the Neo could certainly play a specific game from the NES. How that "port" was made possible was by using a very application-specific code translator, but only for the program data. The PPU data had to be re-programmed in order to work on the Genesis VDP. With some effort, a guy could probably do the same thing on the Neo, but would it be worth it?

For perspective with how efficient that "port" was, the original SMB CHR+PRG is 40KB in size. The Genesis "port" is only 64KB in size.