Is The Legend of Success Joe really that bad?

Golgo

Cham Cham's Banana
I know how bad this game is suposed to be, its infamous for being perhaps the worst Neo Geo game ever - but I was thinking of buying it, as I don't have it and I havent seen it for sale anywhere for at least a year.
Does this game have no merit whatsoever other then as a collectors item or a conversion sacrifce?

Is it really that bad?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
If you are searching for t3h suk, you will NOT be disappointed.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
dude, just LOOK at it

what more do you need to convince you its SHITE?

Golgo said:
Reviews can be subjective. Have you played the game?

To eleborate on this, I guess what I'm looking for is an idea of how many people have played and liked/disliked the game, so I can get a better sense of wether or not to buy this game - One review is not going to be a deciding factor for me.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Compared to most of the Neo Geo catalogue it doesnt hold up well.

Though I don't necessarily think it's terrible, the controls can be quite annoying, it's not without redeeming features IMO.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This game sat in my cab for not long before I took it out..At first play,I got my butt kicked and took it out.

I really can't opinionate on the game though I hear/read it stinks..
So I figure it sucks,but I want to give it some time in the cab and see if I can get further soon...Plus I really want to get opinions on the game from friends who I'll ask to try it..

I already know pretty much what they are going to say.. :make_fac: .but it's worth a shot. :p

I wish I could find a Mini Marquee or good scan of one somewhere though..
(A good scan)

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I predict that in years down the road LoSJ will be extremely rare and everyone will want it since so many sacrafice copies of it for conversions... :p :tickled:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
The game really really sucks. It's not even worth the 10 seconds to download the romz.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I personally think the game is pretty cool in a humorus beat'em'up sort of way. I own both an AES cart and MVS kit of it and though I haven't put as much time into it as some of my other Neo games I'm glad to have the copies.

I think the control system is pretty cool and quite unique, every way of the joystick combined with a button does a different punch which makes for a lot of different combinations. It's no easy game either, I've made it pretty far but never beat the game. Some of the later stages really whoop down on you. If you can find the game for a decent price I'd recommend picking up a copy if you're at all curious about it.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
I played it in some hotel in cape cod while on vacation

whilst it has its merits with the altered punch and defense motions, there seems to be too much going on and that leads to a sense of delayed locomotion.

So if you are willing to cope with a lack of mobility and trade blows (like most boxers do) you will quickly see that the game relies on the fundamentals of boxing not gimmicky combos and other crap.

or its could fall into the category of "all licensed games are lackluster"

K hunter

Kula's Candy
Golgo said:
I know how bad this game is suposed to be, its infamous for being perhaps the worst Neo Geo game ever - but I was thinking of buying it, as I don't have it and I havent seen it for sale anywhere for at least a year.
Does this game have no merit whatsoever other then as a collectors item or a conversion sacrifce?

Is it really that bad?

this is my opinon, but it really is that bad. bad controls make it a chore to play, the sprites are horribly animated and have bad color, the sound.. god dont get me started on the subpar 2600 style sound....... geez. stay away from it, ay all costs.

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
I used to have the home cart. I wasn't impressed by anything it had to offer. After a day, my goal was to simply finish it, whether or not I had enjoyed it, because there was nothing much to enjoy.
I felt the gameplay was terrible, graphics were average, and I don;t recall the audio being impressive.
So the next day after I finished it, I went back to the store and exchanged it for Last Resort without regret.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Just download the rom and try the game for yourself, that's what roms are for.

WGolly

Known Scammer. Fook Better Explain Himself
I've often wondered the same thing.....I haven't played the game. I luv the anime its based on, sooo yeah I will get it eventually for joe related purposes.....

The game does pop up quite a bit. I see it on ebay a lot, usually going for over $100 with no bids. I would'nt pay that much....
BTW, for those who have played it what are the redeeming factors...besides the cover art?

also, is there any voice acting in the game?

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I reckon the game is just as bad as rumours suggest. Horrible graphics and animation, retarded gameplay and truly pathetic sound effects..

But, there is a sick sense of satisfaction that can be gained from actually owning the game. :kekeke:

Now where did I put my Super Man 64.....

WGolly

would anyone be willing to see their complete home cart copy of this pos for under $50?

TattooCow

Crazed MVS Addict
You are better off watching the Animation.

A friend pass me the ROM. I can't say much about it.... Its hard to even start it... :kekeke:

Curt

apostate
WGolly said:
would anyone be willing to see their complete home cart copy of this pos for under $50?

No way, the going rate for this "POS" title, is about $150-200. I can possibly see a bare rough condition cart going for 50, but not a complete good-to-mint copy... no way.

You could probably find a MVS cart for that range though... but not a homecart.

Ps. I enjoy LOSJ's badness...

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Ever get a splinter of a little piece of clear glass ? You can't see the damn thing to attempt to get it out, so you just stab away at a wound with tweezers hoping to grab it. After awhile you realize there wasn't even a glass splinter to begin with. All your extra pain was for nothing.

That is more fun than LOSJ.

WGolly

CurtWRX said:
No way, the going rate for this "POS" title, is about $150-200. I can possibly see a bare rough condition cart going for 50, but not a complete good-to-mint copy... no way.

You could probably find a MVS cart for that range though... but not a homecart.

Ps. I enjoy LOSJ's badness...

nah, just kiddin', worth a shot though. Seriously, why so expensive, even if it is a little hard to find. The game sucks to most people.
Most people just make fun of it anyway. why would someone pay that much for this game, then? Why would someone want this crap cluttering up their collections, wasting precious space. I say to these people, "Give it to me, I would appreciate it", well at least as a fan of the anime.

BTW, are their ANY redeeming factors, besides the cover art? Like good voice acting, anything that would warrent that price.

I don't think this gets used for conversions ery often, does it?

BTW, Yamatoku has a copy on their site...$130.....

oh well....

maybe someday I can find a funfaded copy for cheap.....

Last edited: