Is the Jaguar worth getting for AvP alone?

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I think so as well the games very addicting and scary almost at times it draws you in ...and i HATE first person shooters

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Given that you can buy one for less than £20 and AVP should only be a tenner (trust me, thers no collectors market for the Jag - if someone claims there is, tell them to fuck off), yea, I'd say its worth it.

You might as well pick up Iron Soldier while you're at it......

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
AvP has aged terrible, I don't think it's worth a buy, worth a play for 20 mins to get the retro feel, yes.

Tiger Uppercut

Quiz Detective
DashK's input doesn't count.

It's worth it if you can find the system for cheap. I suggest looking at an outlet mall that has a toy store. I found the complete Jaguar CD system for $20 at a KB Toys in an outlet mall about five years ago. You may still run into one.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Tiger Uppercut said:
DashK's input doesn't count.

It's worth it if you can find the system for cheap. I suggest looking at an outlet mall that has a toy store. I found the complete Jaguar CD system for $20 at a KB Toys in an outlet mall about five years ago. You may still run into one.

heh, why do you need 2 accounts aphex? i have avp and a jag, so shut the fuck up. heh. go back into the war room and let bobak own you some more, you fucking SUPER TEEN.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I agree with DashK, FPS has improved so much the past 10 years, AvP looks very dated and the limited level designs + poor frame rate makes it more of a novelty than a true timeless classic.

This is coming from a guy who played through all 3 scenarios and loved every minute of it back when it first came out. Still, you should get a jaguar to play Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Rayman, and Battlesphere (although, that's probably too expensive).

THE FN SHOW

Armored Scrum Object
if you put in the code either 3249 or 1249 in rayman when his parts start coming on the screen...you get to play breakout where he is on his hands and he kicks the fruit up towards the other fruit...you could find the exact code at cheat plant....www.cheatplanet.com

aria

Former Moderator
Some people still claim Tempest 2000 is a lasting triumph, but I'm still not convinced it's anything other than a notable game.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yes, it's worth it. Just don't expect to be completely floored when you play it (but keep playing for the atmosphere alone).

And get Tempest 2000 as well so you'll have two games.

Eric

Fight On!,
Is the PC version of AvP any different?

I installed and started it up yesterday and couldn't take more than 15 minutes of it before I quit.

It doesn't look like much, and the level design seemed too confusing for me.

I'll give it another go at a different time, when I'm more in the mood for it. But I doubt I'll even bother to finish even one of the scenarios.

Garlic Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I played AvP for the first time in 2002 really expecting to be blow away. I wasn't, unless you where there at the time this game isn't worth owning. The atmosphere was non-existant (oh no! a bubblegum monster is coming towards me, and I only have 1 bullet... yawn) graphics where awful (but I admit nice for 1994) and frame rate crap. The controls didn't feel right either.

I'd like to point out I've played and completed Doom and Wolfenstein on the Jaguar and had lot's of fun with them so I don't hate old games, it's just AvP hasn't aged in the same way other titles have so gracefully.

Tempest 2000 however, that is a CLASSIC and worth owning a Jag for.

While on the topic of the Jaguar, anyone else play Club Drive? What a steaming pile of shit.

X

Y,
Lastblade said:
I agree with DashK, FPS has improved so much the past 10 years, AvP looks very dated and the limited level designs + poor frame rate makes it more of a novelty than a true timeless classic.

This is coming from a guy who played through all 3 scenarios and loved every minute of it back when it first came out. Still, you should get a jaguar to play Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Rayman, and Battlesphere (although, that's probably too expensive).

I also agree with DashK on this. AVP is no longer fun.

Eric said:
Is the PC version of AvP any different?

On almost every plane of logic, yes. Especially AVP2, you got a keyboard and mouse for Mlook. Also, AVP's for PC's are cheap anyway.

I do feel though that the Jag ver of Tempest 2000 is the best, and that is after playing many different ports of it; the PC version kinda sucking.

All in all; for FPS games I require Mlook, that's why I keep boasting about PC version of this and that.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
TEmpest 2000 is all pretense and no payoff.

This is coming from an ORIGINAL JAG Fanboy... which really.. is something I'm ashamed of.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
TEmpest 2000 is all pretense and no payoff.

This is coming from an ORIGINAL JAG Fanboy... which really.. is something I'm ashamed of.

I politely disagree. I still play Tempest 2000 every now and then, and it is still alot of fun. The same goes for Defender 2000. The music alone in T2K is worth it.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
DashK's right - AvP on the Jaguar hasn't withstood the test of time.

First of all, much like all of the Jaguar FPS I've played (Doom, Wolfenstein, etc.) it lacks any sort of soundtrack. This only adds to the game's tedium.

You think Halo's levels are repetitive?

I'd say the Jaguar doesn't merit a purchase based on any game in its lineup, let alone AvP. The only reason to own one is for "collector appeal."

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
Now that I think about it I'm not sure if Doom and Wolfenstein had their soundtracks... I don't think Doom did, I might be wrong about Wolfenstein. It's been a while.

I don't remember AvP having any soundtrack, just the enemy shrieks and sound effects.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Some people still claim Tempest 2000 is a lasting triumph, but I'm still not convinced it's anything other than a notable game.

the music is really good

I consider it more of a music/light show experience

like Rez

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Well, it's really good if you're into an action game that is really difficult.

I don't care what anyone says, getting out in time for that game is one of the most difficult game feats of ALL TIME.

The marine scenario was obviously the one that was the focus of the game, followed by the predator... the alien one was kinda thrown in for completeness.

As for the graphics, yeah for 2005 they haven't aged well.. for 1993 they're un-fucking-real.

A lot of people complain about level design, but take into account that the theme of the game is fighting it out in 3 ships in space. It's not going to be a sprawling planet. Also remember that it's on a cart... in the early 90's.... give it some leeway.
IT's supposed to be cramped.

THe atmosphere is good, damn good. If you want crunching guitars and thumping beats, go somewhere else... play this game hooked up to your stereo, with the lights out on a saturday night.. it's great in that atmosphere.

THe problem is you guys are spoiling yourselves with the Dooms, Halos and Half-lifes. This game is fun, hard as hell and old school.

Garlic Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
THe problem is you guys are spoiling yourselves with the Dooms, Halos and Half-lifes. This game is fun, hard as hell and old school.

Well yeah the problem is gamers since have been spoiled. Makes going back to games like this much harder.