is that soldier-x sidescrolling shooter anygood?

evil son

Bead Banger
saw this at playasia.anybody have this if so hows the gameplay an soundtrack?

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
just received a copy from them to review my review should be up over at defunctgames.com soon. I'd say its a pretty decent game and worth the 50 bucks. I say give it a shot

evil son

Bead Banger
thx man im a check it out
itll prolly be the first game i get for my laptop im getting soon

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I wish it was a console game. I hate PC games. Mainly because as I upgrade my PC over time they stop working and I don't want to keep 50 different PCs around just to play old games.

evil son

Bead Banger
zhulien said:
I wish it was a console game. I hate PC games. Mainly because as I upgrade my PC over time they stop working and I don't want to keep 50 different PCs around just to play old games.
dam is that really true? cuz im planning to ge me a gaming laptop.an planning on getting this game.yeah i wouldnt want to do that either

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
it runs just fine on my 5 year old dell laptop (P4 CPU 1 gig ram 64mb graphics) and no installing it either it just runs off the disc like a console game. I believe a ps3 version is in the works.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Got my copy Friday, gave it a quick run today. Initial impressions... meh. Nice parrallax scrolling, high res... but somewhat bland. Just like you probably thought, very much like an Amiga shmup. Kinda "slow paced", felt like I was playing a modern version of the Amiga classic Blood Money. As far as "recent" pc shmups, I'm more impressed with Trouble Witches in terms of fun factor.

turbo D

Not so MEGA, eh?
I've heard mixed reviews on this game. It looks pretty cool though. I heard a rumor that it was going to be released as a download for jdm ps3.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
Besides the game-play, which I think is better than okay, there are some nice and some not so nice things about the game:
- it runs directly from the CD (no installation necessary, though you can copy it to the harddrive for faster loading times)
- it supports only some resolutions, unfortunately nothing above 1280 (I really miss 1680)
- it is not a console game, which I think is stupid. The PC is not really the right platform for such a game. I don't think not being able to play it in a few years is an issue (I run really old games on current hardware, there is always a way), but I still think this belongs on a console.
- some of the ingame voices are terrible, some of them even break the fourth wall, which really sucks.
- the graphics are pretty nice.
- you have to download a patch to be able to reconfigure the controls. This is especially bad, since it basically nullfies the "no-install" idea. And it is rather necessary if you play with a keyboard instead of a gamepad (some people do!), since weapon selection is set on the number keys, while shooting is on ctrl and steering on the arrow keys - so it is really not very comfortable to change the weapon, unless you have rather large hands.
- the power-up system with chaining is not really thought through too well, you get a lot of useless power-ups, which makes chaining, a game element which is suppossed to be rather important - next to useless.
All in all, 50$ is a bit steep, since it does not include shipping and customs and the additional stuff is not really interesting (soundtrack and booklet), I'd say for half the money it would be a sure buy. I am not unhappy I bought it, but it is not really good enough for that amount of money. But I am glad games like this one are still made at all.

Last edited:

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
One more thing, which does not concern gameplay, but is a technical point which can become pretty serious:
The game does support the sleep mode of laptops. This means, if you are used to just close the lid and pack the thing away, you are in for a nasty suprise. The laptop will simply be closed but up and running, not sleeping. If you put it in a bag this way, you might damage it with the heat generated by the device. I consider this a serious issue.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
I played it some more and I have to say I hate it more and more. There are some seriously unfair situations, which simply annoy me - true to the old school games or not. And if you die, it can happen that you are re-inserted in the game at a point - in a labyrinth for example - which will make you loose health or even die at once all over again. Which sucks a lot.