Is Mortal KombatIV underated?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know most people dismiss Mortal Kombat as an inferior Street Fighter/ Surperior Pit Fighter....

But I recently brought home a IV (in a II cab).

This is a pretty good fighting game... Although It takes days of deprogramming to learn how to use a block button.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It is a pretty terrible version of MK if you ask me. I've always likened it to Street Fighter EX2 (a complete failure).

I'd much rather put a MK2 board back in that cab.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It's terrible. It deserves the shitty ratings it gets. UMK3 and MK2 are your definitive MK games.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
A nice looking cabinet. Too bad that's the only nice thing about MK4. It didn't make that good a transition from 2D to 3D IMO.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
4 is probably the worst version of MK they made. The characters don't have their own personality. They all share the same character models (same win poses, stances, etc.). The 3D aspect hinders the action.

Mk2 is the best to me. I have a dedicated MK2 which I love and I also have a MK4 in a MK2 cab. I prefer MK3 over UMK3. The AI is way too cheap in 1p mode in UMK3.....

partypooper

Not so MEGA, eh?
If I could sum up MK4 in one word, it's, "unfinished". Like Mitsu said the generic win poses and such, and the rather large lack of features that the previous MK games set the bar to. It's essentially the KOFXII of MK, only KOFXII was a somewhat balanced fighter.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
What the hell?!?!? MK4 is AWESOME. The Dreamcast version of it "MK Gold" is my favorite MK HANDS DOWN. Now, "Deception" and "Deadly Alliance" were some horrible games, but still enjoyable. MK2 and MK3 follow as 2nd and 3rd in my book. I'm still trying to place MK vs DC as it is absolutely amazing...

Good buy on the MK4 cab. GREAT GAME.

Capcom was once quoted as saying something like Mortal Kombat characters were inferior to their brand of fighters. Even though that has merit, it would be an awesome versus game IMO. I'd love to rip Chun Li's spine out....

partypooper

Not so MEGA, eh?
OK firstly, CAPS LOCK.

Secondly, Gold is another story. But any version of MK4 that was released in arcades is pretty much exactly what we're talking about. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a dreamcast in that thing. :P

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I gots rev 3.....

No DC...

I would like to pick up another board... but 1&2 are hard to come by in working format.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Granted, the Arcade version was less stellar than the DC version, but still....MK4 was and is a great fighter IMHO. I think it's the most fluid, responsive MK to date. Gold just made it that much better. I think it takes a lot of hate from most people because it was the first one in the series to change the graphics scheme.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I own a dedicated MKII and also UMK3 and MK4 pcbs. I like each game for certain reasons.

MK4 was a jump into new territory for Midway and MK. It's combo and weapon system is in fact well done imo and the game was fluid and very responsive. The Max Damage concept as a Dmg limiter was an interesting idea. Although it was a 3d game it was still had a 2d plane feel. From the extended time of development, rush to get it done, and 3d tech for Midway just not being ready didn't help this game at all and turned off many ppl.

What I dislike is what others have already said. MK4 was done on mid-era lightwave 3D, the animations seemed limited and cold besides some stuff being shared. This was shown off even more painfully when you watch the lifeless and what seemed glitchy endings when you beat the game. When MK Gold came out on consoles it just seemed like Midway didnt even care. The added characters were done half-asses and used already existing sounds and effects from MK4 and felt like what was even the fucking point.

MKII will always be my favorite out of the series. However MK4 is infact under rated due to a very well done system and game mechanic. 3D Technology and what seemed to be inexperience with that tech is what hurt MK4.

I know most people dismiss Mortal Kombat as an inferior Street Fighter/ Surperior Pit Fighter....
The series was a success and they are still really the only American Company that pulled off a successful fighting game in a dominant JP developed genre

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
For anybody who buys a dedicated MK cab... GET FREAKING HELP

At 400lbs, this thing is much heavier than your average 25" Cab

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
For anybody who buys a dedicated MK cab... GET FREAKING HELP

At 400lbs, this thing is much heavier than your average 25" Cab

Yep, usually if I move my MKII I take the monitor out. MKI was even heavier and had a little longer of a depth.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'll second that about midway cabs.

When I bought my KI2 machine it was a fucking beast to get up a flight of stairs.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I got a dedicated MKII cab and a dedicated MK3 cab. MKII and UMK3 are my favorites of the series, there the ones I played the most as a kid. I also played MK a bit, but I have it currently running in my MKII cab and it did not age well for me. I actually sold my MK4 cab last year becuase I picked up a MK3 cab. I thought MK4 was alright, I put UMK3 in it once I got the board though. I might pick up a MK4 pcb in the future, but not sure or in any rush to do so right now.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And for anybody that says that this game hasn't aged well, I just ran it side by side with KOF 98.

KOF probably aged worse in my opinion.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
umk3 and to a lesser extent, mk2 are really unfun to play single player.

the ai is cheap and reactive. they'll rarely attack you without some input, and will always land a counter against something.

in umk3 you have to dance back and forth outside of sweep range to trick the game and you can land pretty much everything.

maybe its the versions i have. but its nothing at all like snk's or capcom's ai.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah the AI is different... I am just getting to the point where I can pull off an uppercut on the Computer.