Is kof 98 the best one?

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
beer30 said:
is kof 98 the best kof?
That's a pretty subjective question there, boyo. It all depends who you ask, but yes, a lot of people enjoy KOF98. Then again, a lot of people like KOF2K1 and KOF2K2, so it's all just a matter of taste.

Why not play them and find out which one you like? :D

EliteDoomMaster

Edo Express Delivery Guy
sQuareh4t3r said:
That's a pretty subjective question there, boyo. It all depends who you ask, but yes, a lot of people enjoy KOF98. Then again, a lot of people like KOF2K1 and KOF2K2, so it's all just a matter of taste.

Why not play them and find out which one you like? :D

He speaks the truth, I don't care that much for the pre 2000 KOFs, and I highly enjoy 03; about the only one I've ever really played a considerable amount. So just try around, and don't let the opinions of the general public sway you.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Well, this is a very debatable topic. 2002 and 98. I'd choose 2002, but 98 is one of the best fighters ever created. I say fuck it and get both.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
beer30 said:
is kof 98 the best kof?

subjective. general opinion here is yes. just do a search for a kof poll.

Have you made any threads that aren't annoying & lame.

ooooh, zero post count :kekeke:

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
I quite like 2k2, but only because I'm a graphics whore (if that is even possible in the NG world...)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
brightangel said:
I quite like 2k2, but only because I'm a graphics whore (if that is even possible in the NG world...)
How does liking '02 make you a graphics whore? It's the second worst looking game in the series.

H

hermegildo

SouthtownKid said:
How does liking '02 make you a graphics whore? It's the second worst looking game in the series.
I was wondering the same thing.

I actually prefer '01 over '02.

'02 is just so lifeless.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I don't know about the best. Some of the characters are overpowered like Goro and Clark. It probably has some of the best balance in any kof other than '02.

I really love '98 and it is popular enough to find competition so when we get together it usually gets played more than other games like third strike (which I don't much care for).

Most any serious fighting game fan has played it so it's more universal.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
2001 is a pile of shit next to 2002. 2002 is way more playable and even with its broken stuff, its way more balanced. 2001 is such a broken game that isnt even funny, bullshit inf's, bugs like hell. To many fucking abusable striker set ups.

No dice.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
Everyone in this thread had lied to you, 98 is fun and all but you can't call any of them the best.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
Like others have said, that's hugely subjective. I did think the dream matches in this series (KOF '98 and 2002) were definitely among the most popular. But everyone has specific tastes, and others like other games in the series over these.

KOF '98 was an awesome game simply because it was a dream match. The only minor problems I had with it was that it had Rugal again (reapprearing after KOF '94 and '95), and you can only fight 6 teams to get to him. I wish we could fight random edit teams, and every single team to get to the bosses like in KOF '96 and '97 to extend the life of the game, I think that would've made for some interesting matches that would've made this game more enjoyable to play; it's almost like playing 2 player against the computer since we always mix and match our characters up to make up our team. The way things were in KOF '98 1P mode, they were all set teams you always had to fight against and that could get repetitive after a while. Other than that, I liked this game simply because it was a dream match with so many characters from previous games combined, it made for great fun.

KOF 2002 was very much the same. The difference here was the update in graphics which I think still couldn't compete with the awesome interactive backgrounds of the older games of the KOF series. Overall, I've always thought KOF '98 and others was funner to play than this one, mostly because the bosses and characters in general have become alot cheaper, but this game had other added advantages like fighting the newer teams after KOF '98 with the older teams combined, that made for some interesting matchups we could only dream about before KOF 2002 was around. It's a good game.

My conclusion to all this, if you really want to know what is the "best" game in the series, you'll have to play every KOF game to find out which one you liked best. Each were different in their own special way.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
J0e Musashi said:
Nope, 2001 is the best one.

yep

that's my pick

although I've also spent a lot of time with 94

Kinda wish I had the MVS setup to give it a spin

I'll have to settle for the PS2 ver

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It's subjective but I prefer 2k3 followed by 98. 2k2 is alright too but the feel is lacking similar to most of 2k1.

It's all opinionated though