is it just me or has kof been getting easier & easier?

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
At first I thought it was just '97 and onwards, but after taking a closer look, it's been happening from the very begining! Each successive kof game has been noticably easier than it's predecessor (although '95 is a bit of an anomaly cos although the ai was easier, it compensated for this by having uneven damage levels).

Anyone else notice this?

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Some of the KOF games are easier than its predecessor for example KOF 96. That is the case with some of them, but not all.

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94:
At first I thought it was just '97 and onwards, but after taking a closer look, it's been happening from the very begining! Each successive kof game has been noticably easier than it's predecessor (although '95 is a bit of an anomaly cos although the ai was easier, it compensated for this by having uneven damage levels).

Anyone else notice this?
no , that s because you play at level 1 wink , and the computer was always dumb ! do some interresting thing at level 8, only that s easy to find a way to beat the computer. Actually i think in the 2002 the computer turtle a lots !

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
I might also add that this applies to all difficulties (for all all you cheeky monkey types :D ), e.g. '98 lv8 is significantly more difficult than '00 lv8, although like the good jedite said, the cpu is pretty dumb, but I still think it's getting dumber as years go by. Ah well must just be me then, ho hum.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
I honestly don't think the difficulty level follows such an easy pattern, but the earlier KOF games definitely SEEM to be harder than the more recent ones. My thoughts on this are that in the earlier KOF games, you as the player had significantly less options open to you offensively and defensively save for having the intuition of the CPU AI which is of course impossible. This gives the impression of considerable difficulty against a CPU opponent that seems to counter EVERYTHING you do. There was simply less you could do about it back then. Now days we have MANY more options of movement and attack open to us, which makes the CPU have to adapt to many more variables. That's just what I think it is, though.

I always learned quite a bit from watching the AI of certain Neo games, especially when it gets into that cheap, hit-you-out-of-everything rampage. I try to copy that style of play and when you get the intuition down along with knowing your character very well, it's actually really easy. Try it and watch your friends quit playing! :D

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I can definitely agree on this. The difficulty in KoF 2002 on lvl 8 is a damn joke. I can do a random team select and still never lose a match.

To me '98 was the last KoF that had a halfway decent CPU, regardless of difficulty setting.

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
I'd say the earlier games are harder. If this is due to the design of the game or my inability to play them, I don't know, but I sure can't beat 94 or 95 on one credit like I can all the others.

you know, it could just be that you are all becoming masters of the series. After all, there is not much to change (relatively speaking) as the games go by. :cool:

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Maybe, but I only aquired 95 recently and still have trouble completing it on level 8 :confused:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I've never been able to beat Rugal '95, Level 0 or not. Rugal '94, and Goenitz were also very difficult for me to beat.

Khryzalid, Zero, and Rugal '02 were pushovers.

So yeah, I'd say the games are getting a tad easier.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
The real problem has been like U say the game getting easier each year...but also cheap bosses.
rugal in 2002 is the absolute pits. its easy to reach him even on level 8. However maybe the game gets easier each year, because we've had that much longer to perfect our favourite characters?