Is Arcade! next?

NeoZ24

Galford's Armourer
I just saw the huge list of confiscated ngf conversions and I have to wonder if arcade is next.

<small>[ January 28, 2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: NeoZ24 ]</small>

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I doubt it... Arcade sells conversions as conversions, they don't claim to be selling the PI2 homecart or the Zupapa homecart.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
They label their conversions as conversions, not printing their own inserts ect and try to pass them off as legit.

If I copy a PS2 game and sell it, stating that it is a pirate on the package does not make it legit....

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Nostromo:
If I copy a PS2 game and sell it, stating that it is a pirate on the package does not make it legit....
good point.

like, Metal Slug or Chibi Maruko on homecart costs a lot more now than the MVS version.

Same for many many other carts, like Overtop, Metal Slug 2 US, Garou US, any of the KoFs, Magical Dops, Stakes Winners, and the list goes on and on.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Nostromo:
Actually though wouldn't it be more like taking the PS2 cd and placing it in another case?

At any rate !arcade! does not sell conversions anymore, they are just selling the mods and stock. They are also located in Canada.

david

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'll never understand that. Too this day I always wonder why Dion talks crap about SNK and now Playmore, but yet that's what he is selling, Snk Neo Geo chart.

NeoGoaT

Mickey's Coach
Although Arcade only use original parts from what I've seen, they do reproduce copyrighted artwork and sell it as part of the package. That could be their downfall.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I think he is operating in a grey area. It is good to hear he is no longer doing conversions, as I would be a little scared to do them these days... We have to see what NGF gets nailed for, they will be the example :) I just hope that not to much negative comes from this... i.e. Hong Kong Shops get raided, good sellers that also deal in some boots get shutdown (MDGameSales), etc... ANYWAY,

-Nick

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Big Bruno:
Nostromo:
Actually though wouldn't it be more like taking the PS2 cd and placing it in another case?
Yes that is a great point. They aren't making illegal copies!

Ok, so if I buy the ps2 copy of KOF2k, it means that its legal to own the rom of the game? (and play it?)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Dear all,

please understand 'selling a conversion as a conversion' may be totally OK as for morals and ethics (and in fact, I respect !arcade! businness as well) but that a way to sell counterfait products anyway.

Don't think Playmore would make ANY difference from NGF to !arcade!.

As for legal issue, they should be pretty much the same thing...

TheBigBB

Nostromo:
Ok, so if I buy the ps2 copy of KOF2k, it means that its legal to own the rom of the game? (and play it?)
Conversions aren't copies. They're CONVERTED. Generally it's taking an arcade MVS cart and putting it into a homecart shell so that it works on a home system. It's just an elaborate repackaging...

hupplark_39

Kabuki Klasher
There is no need to drag arcade into the same room as fucking PION. Pion sucks cock plain and simple and he deserves everything he gets, him and his gay sidekick. in reality you could fine something wrong with anyone even right here with shawn. lets just drop this shit and stop pointing the finger at who is doing what and concentrate on the DYNAMIC DUAL. shame

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
hupplark_39:
There is no need to drag arcade into the same room as fucking PION. Pion sucks cock plain and simple and he deserves everything he gets, him and his gay sidekick. in reality you could fine something wrong with anyone even right here with shawn. lets just drop this shit and stop pointing the finger at who is doing what and concentrate on the DYNAMIC DUAL. shame
I agree and I basically respect !arcade! businness.

Yet I was trying to express not my *personal point*, but the point of wiev of Playmore's Lawyer...

NeoZ24

Galford's Armourer
I like arcade and hope they dont have any problems. I just wonder how playmore views them.

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
Nostromo:
the conversions that Arcade makes I assume have original SNK chips in them

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
nruva:
I think he is operating in a grey area. It is good to hear he is no longer doing conversions, as I would be a little scared to do them these days... We have to see what NGF gets nailed for, they will be the example :) I just hope that not to much negative comes from this... i.e. Hong Kong Shops get raided, good sellers that also deal in some boots get shutdown (MDGameSales), etc... ANYWAY,

-Nick
MDGameSales got shut down?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Conversions are not copyrights infrigements as long as they aren't sold as a legit product.

keep in mind this point of view :

If someone owns/makes a conversion, that person must have aquired the real SNK parts ( both MVS and NGH carts ).

Once this person have bought those parts, that person CAN DO whatever he/she wants with them.

So, anybody who makes a conversion ( for his/her personal use ) isn't doing nothing against the law.

there's now another point :

If that person ( author of the conversion ) wants to sell that conversion, that person CAN sell the conversion.

But, there are some types of that matter to be considered.

I.E.: Someone selling it particulary to someone is ok. Someone making those conversions just for profit harming the 1st party sales ( such what NGF did ) is illegal.

Look at Zupapa! . for NGF.

Now look at Metal Slug for !arcade! side. Metal Slugs were out of the market for a long time ago.
Zupapa's are still runing in the market.

Since SNK/Playmore doesn't sell anymore Metal Slug, they can't do anything against it.
Even if Playmore would like to claim they were copyrighted violated.

It would be like a millionaire guy purchasing the entire Ferrari cars at the factory, the factory wouldn't produce anylonger that car model, and after that the owner of those cars re-paint all the cars and Ferrari lawyer couldn't do anything on the millionaire arguing he was infriging "ferrari's red/yellow/blablabla" color trademarks.

the owner of those cars could even resell all of them, he wouldn't be harming Ferrari for that since the car in question was already out of production/market.

discuss.

buttrock buttrock

aria

Former Moderator
EVIL NICK:
MDGameSales got shut down?
No, Nruva was just giving an example

"i.e." is short hand for the latin term id est (that is) and is used to mean "that is to say"; "in other words"; and "for example" (this final usage is actually inaccurate, but so many people use it that way, myself included, that its considered okay in casual writing)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Because the products aren't available on the market [Prehistoric Isle 2, for example], I don't believe the conversions should be considered illegal.

If a company had their product out on the market, and was in competition with bootleggers...well, that should be considered illegal, and fined.

However, if the manufacturer doesn't have the product out on the market, readily available to consumers...I don't understand why he believes he deserves money for in essence, "doing nothing"

This is just my opinion on the whole subject :)

TheBigBB

hupplark_39:
I think you're missing the point of the thread? I doubt anyone here WANTS !Arcade! to be sued, but it's just that people are concerned that they might be sued and are discussing whether they could be.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Anyone has !Arcade! website? Lost it in my favorites frown