International flights - where to get the best deals?

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
So I've been trying to sort through the millions of websites that supposedly have deals and promotions going on...some are destination-specific, etc.

I'm looking to go to Norway in the next few weeks and I'm wondering if you all have any tips about where to look for deals, etc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Easy Jet and Ryan Air. Once you're in Europe, try to find deals through those two. They're very cheap.

aria

Former Moderator
Easy Jet and Ryan Air. Once you're in Europe, try to find deals through those two. They're very cheap.

Those are good bargain airlines, but as I suspected, neither fly to Oslo.

You may need to piece a few different airlines together to pull it off --often times travel agents can help with that and make up their fee. The only caveat might mean an extra layover, but I don't think you're the sort to care too much.

I know if I were flying there I'd probably either do the KLM via Schiphol or Iceland Air via Reykjavík (there's a Minneapolis-Reykjavík flight and I knew a guy from Norway who'd use that route to visit home so I assume it was reasonable).

Where are you starting from?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think one place to look might be trip advisor dot com. Give that a shot.

aria

Former Moderator
If you're piecing together an airline combo, often the best idea is to find the cheapest flight from the US to a European hub airport (e.g. one of the London or Paris airports, Schiphol, etc) and then find the discount airline that happens to serve between that and Oslo.

[EDIT: I agree with wasabi, TripAdvisor is pretty good for advice]

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
use priceline or Expedia to check for cheap flight:cool:

aria

Former Moderator
use priceline or Expedia to check for cheap flight:cool:

Expedia, Travelocity, etc are terrible for bargain airlines in other continents as most aren't included. Several of those sites are co-owned by the airlines who's flights they recommend --which are primarily US-based airlines (so they're okay for domestic, NA flights).

At best, you might use them to find a cheap flight to a particular European gateway, but beyond that they're not useful.

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
Thanks for your responses.

I was looking to the European hub route to see if flights were any cheaper, and they did turn out to be by a few hundred dollars.

I am located in Phoenix, AZ, but I have looked to LAX as well in case flights would be cheaper out of there (taking the European hub idea and applying it to the US).

I did check out RyanAir and they do fly to Oslo, it just depends on where your departure location is. For this reason, I am open to flying into London, for example, and then taking a cheap flight on RyanAir to Oslo.

Appreciate the help guys, I am of course actively looking in the meantime. I'll be checking out the sites that were posted

aria

Former Moderator
I did check out RyanAir and they do fly to Oslo, it just depends on where your departure location is. For this reason, I am open to flying into London, for example, and then taking a cheap flight on RyanAir to Oslo.

Oh man, I didn't realize there was a secondary airport in Oslo. :emb: Okay, my bad --I only looked at the main airport. That explains why Cityhopper wasn't there either.

RyanAir is a lot like Southwest: if they can find a cheaper way, i.e. by using a minor airport, they will.

Potential issue:
Finding the right flight into Stansted. I don't see many US flights to Stansted. Like Gatwick and Luton it's really out there so it will be hard to fly into another London airport and conveniently transfer.

Heh, I just found out Minneapolis' local bargain airline, Sun Country Airlines, is now flying seasonally to Stansted starting June 11. I know they fly to Phoenix.

aria

Former Moderator
Okay, this stuff is fun so I thought I'd throw this out there:

Sun Country from PHX to MSP to STN
RyanAir from STN to TRF

aria

Former Moderator
I sense a new calling for you.

If it paid better and didn't involve dealing with irate travelers, it would probably be great.

Actually, I'd be a tour guide. I think it's a fun job -- I did it for my college and now whenever I go on trips with people. That's why I always tell people they're welcome to contact me if they're coming to the Twin Cities --I've had two members take me up on it and I took them around town.