Impressed with Sammy

Mike

Bead Banger
After all this news about the Sammy takeover, I went out and picked up Guilty Gear X2 on the PS2 and I have to say....graphically I am extremely impressed.

Gameplay is not what I am used to, but it's still pretty cool.

If these are the graphics that we can expect for games like Metal Slug, Sam Sho, and the King of Fighters - then sign me up for an atomiswave today!

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Mike said:
After all this news about the Sammy takeover, I went out and picked up Guilty Gear X2 on the PS2 and I have to say....graphically I am extremely impressed.

Gameplay is not what I am used to, but it's still pretty cool.

If these are the graphics that we can expect for games like Metal Slug, Sam Sho, and the King of Fighters - then sign me up for an atomiswave today!

FINNALLY! A man with taste!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

ShuckNasty

Mr. Big's Thug
I agree. I have been a sammy fan since GGX, back when everybody thought 2d was dead again in the sony world.

Kind glad in a way though that they bought SNKP & Capcom's Intellectual Property rights, this means we can finally have the giant fighting game that we wanted. I'm just worried that they'll use Sammy's control scheme.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i hate the graphics.. nothing to do with the fact they are "next gen" or "not neo" i just dont like the high res, pc look graphics. they are like someone said b4 "lifeless" and cold.

sorry to go against the thread flow guys...

JHendrix

ShuckNasty said:
I agree. I have been a sammy fan since GGX, back when everybody thought 2d was dead again in the sony world.

Kind glad in a way though that they bought SNKP & Capcom's Intellectual Property rights, this means we can finally have the giant fighting game that we wanted. I'm just worried that they'll use Sammy's control scheme.

Sammy's control scheme for GGX anyway is compatable with the Neo layout almost exactly. The only thing is for GGX2 they added the dust button, which can be ignored for our 4 button loving selves. :)

Seriously though, if someone is going to do 2D, and have it be accepted again in mainstream gaming (where the money, and more importantly for us, the competition is) it's Sammy.

I almost want to get on my knees and thank God for letting this finnally happen.

JHendrix

beelzebubble said:
i hate the graphics.. nothing to do with the fact they are "next gen" or "not neo" i just dont like the high res, pc look graphics. they are like someone said b4 "lifeless" and cold.

Nah I can understand that sort of thing, I mean it's not for everyone really. But the thing is, I doubt they'll use the GGX graphical style for EVERYTHING that they put out. It just won't work right.

I mean on Atomiswave the possibilities on HOW they could do the graphics are limitless really.

I'm freaking excited thinking about what they're going to do with the games now.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Nah I can understand that sort of thing, I mean it's not for everyone really. But the thing is, I doubt they'll use the GGX graphical style for EVERYTHING that they put out. It just won't work right.

I mean on Atomiswave the possibilities on HOW they could do the graphics are limitless really.

I'm freaking excited thinking about what they're going to do with the games now.

true.

i am sure we'll see at least some stuff come out of this with better looking graphics to suit the older style graphics lovers :)

Mike

Bead Banger
The only thing that I don't like about the situation is this:

The competition between game developers will not be as strong as it once was.

When game developers compete creatively, graphically, ect.. the fans are the winners.

Now, with this set up of Sammy, SNK, Capcom, Sega - if they put out crap the only drive for them to make a better game will be for profits and not competition.

I don't want it to come to that, and hopefully it won't.

Underdog

Camel Slug
I definitely wouldn't want to see SNK games in the GGX style either.

Now, a CvS style KoF? In GGX res? That I'd kill for.

EDIT: CvS style sprites, anyway. 3d backgrounds are ass.

Last edited:

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
Damn the neo geo general discussion area is already going sammy?? wont be long before this place goes to shit.

JHendrix

Mike said:
The only thing that I don't like about the situation is this:

The competition between game developers will not be as strong as it once was.

When game developers compete creatively, graphically, ect.. the fans are the winners.

Now, with this set up of Sammy, SNK, Capcom, Sega - if they put out crap the only drive for them to make a better game will be for profits and not competition.

I don't want it to come to that, and hopefully it won't.

That's all there ever was as incentive for them to put out games anyway.

Sure competition between SNK and Capcom in 2D fighters kept them vying for their quarters (or yen), but the whole thing is and has always been profit based.

Sammy has to compete with 3D fighters coming out of Namco primarily, as well as other fighting games that may come out of the pike. If they put out crap they will fail, they know they have to put out good games like GGX2 in order to succeed.

They will do that or die trying.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
That's all there ever was as incentive for them to put out games anyway.

Sure competition between SNK and Capcom in 2D fighters kept them vying for their quarters (or yen), but the whole thing is and has always been profit based.

The competition was profit based, but they needed that creativity to turn that profit their way instead of the others. That's why a lot of 'borrowing' was going on back and forth with Capcom and SNK and both kept pushing that envelope to outdo the other.

Mike is right, competition brings out the creative juices in everybody and the fans win in the end.

JHendrix

SonGohan said:
The competition was profit based, but they needed that creativity to turn that profit their way instead of the others. That's why a lot of 'borrowing' was going on back and forth with Capcom and SNK and both kept pushing that envelope to outdo the other.

Mike is right, competition brings out the creative juices in everybody and the fans win in the end.

True, but now it'll be more of an interal competition I think. Yeah something is lost here, but it's definitely miles better than the situation we were stuck in about 3 days ago. ;)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:

I agree to a certain extent. I mean the color palette is overdone, which makes it look cartoony.

Seriously, I think SFIII has the best graphics of any fighting game, yet reviewers had the nerve to say the pixelated graphics made it look horrible :rolleyes:

I think they could take the graphical capability of the Atomiswave and reduce the glossy brightness of the GG series,and then it would have less of a lifeless, cartoony look to it.

My problem with the current state of the Neo Geo is Gheymore's refusal to take existing series and rebuild them from the ground up. When they make the jump, they'll be forced to rebuild the games.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
interesting point about profit based competition.

So SNK and Capcom weren't competing with each other since 1999 when we had SFIII 3rd and Last Blade 2/MotW in the arcades. After that, each one seemed to release their games far enough away form each other to avoid competition.

Hence why it's gotten so bad on both ends.

With only Sammy making gmaes, how can you expect anything good to appear? No competitors. No growth.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i agree with the cartoony remark.
one of the great things about the KOF series was,
Oh! it looks realistic!
which is one of the reasons why i was ever excited about
KOF in the first place.
why they've gone the cartoony route these last few years
is a mystery to me.
and did i miss something?
Sammy bought capcom now too?

JHendrix

EvilWasabi said:
interesting point about profit based competition.

So SNK and Capcom weren't competing with each other since 1999 when we had SFIII 3rd and Last Blade 2/MotW in the arcades. After that, each one seemed to release their games far enough away form each other to avoid competition.

Hence why it's gotten so bad on both ends.

With only Sammy making gmaes, how can you expect anything good to appear? No competitors. No growth.

Companies release games to compete with a competitor in order to keep customers playing their games. That's pretty much it.

After 1999 Capcom started to see less and less profit from Arcades, specifically 2D fighting games, so they slowed down production, and eventually stopped.

SNK continued to whittle away at their niche, died, came back and whittled some more.

Sammy on the other hand came out with a game that was revolutionary from either SNK or Capcom, with graphics above and beyond what either company put out. And they were successfull for it.

All the other big players don't seem to give two shits about 2D fighters, but if Sammy can proove that 2D fighters with good graphics and sound can attract high volumes of people with the right licenses, then maybe some other players (Capcom) will follow suit with a SF4 or something.

Or some other company can come out with it. Right now we had practically zero competition in the market place, now we have someone taking all the old licenses and is actually going to do something worthwhile with them.

Hopefully they'll be successfull and other companies will start making similar games again.

Edit: Rare, they have licensed some Capcom IP's for use in one or two games, but nothing like they have done for SNKP.

rarehero

20 Year Member
thank you berry much for clearing that up for me sir.

but to chime in myself, i'm not a big fan of the gg series.
i ve honestly tried to get into it since its one of the
few landmark 2d series around now on ps2
but it's just boring for me. i do like the guy with the shoulder
gear though, he's pretty cool. reminds me of the hulk from the mvc games.
but everyone else?
i dont know why but they all seem the same to me.
pretty boring to play with.

JHendrix

rarehero said:
thank you berry much for clearing that up for me sir.

but to chime in myself, i'm not a big fan of the gg series.
i ve honestly tried to get into it since its one of the
few landmark 2d series around now on ps2
but it's just boring for me. i do like the guy with the shoulder
gear though, he's pretty cool. reminds me of the hulk from the mvc games.
but everyone else?
i dont know why but they all seem the same to me.
pretty boring to play with.

Heh, I know plenty of people who'd say the same thing about KOF.

It's all a matter of preference sure, but there are other factors. How many people would give two shits about Matrimelee or ROTD if they were $10 PS1 games like Inyuyasha or the Gundam Wing Fighting game?

I'm not saying you personally rare, but you know what I mean.

GGX2 is one of those crazy off the wall-fast paced fighters. It's actually got a very deep engine that's quite a bit different than most other fighting engines out there, and you can really do a whole lot in there with it.

All I know is that Sammy will find developers to work on these IP's for Atomiswave. They're going to update the graphics and sound out the wazoo for em, I don't know how, or what it's going to look like, but it's going to be good. I mean it's like SNKP went after Eolith, Noise Factory, Yuki, etc. Sammy might use those companies, but have them produce and Atomiswave level game.

A real change finnally from just ripping and editing sprites from 1996. I mean there are so many possabilities now, and so many burdens removed. I personally find it rather exciting. :)

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
The one thing that GG needs improvement on is their frames of animation. I think that they decided since everything moves so fast no one will notice that they just change staces and attack. Aside from a very few standing animations everything just jumps from sprite frame to frame with almost no frames in between. If you ask me this is a large DROP in quality in this department from SF3. This is the largest thing about the games that bug me. They seem to stick with the less frames stance with every revision.

GG Hi rez quality + KOF's real grittyness + SF3 animaitions = What I want.

rarehero

20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Heh, I know plenty of people who'd say the same thing about KOF.

It's all a matter of preference sure, but there are other factors. How many people would give two shits about Matrimelee or ROTD if they were $10 PS1 games like Inyuyasha or the Gundam Wing Fighting game?

I'm not saying you personally rare, but you know what I mean.

GGX2 is one of those crazy off the wall-fast paced fighters. It's actually got a very deep engine that's quite a bit different than most other fighting engines out there, and you can really do a whole lot in there with it.

All I know is that Sammy will find developers to work on these IP's for Atomiswave. They're going to update the graphics and sound out the wazoo for em, I don't know how, or what it's going to look like, but it's going to be good. I mean it's like SNKP went after Eolith, Noise Factory, Yuki, etc. Sammy might use those companies, but have them produce and Atomiswave level game.

A real change finnally from just ripping and editing sprites from 1996. I mean there are so many possabilities now, and so many burdens removed. I personally find it rather exciting. :)

o yea.
different folks different strolks.
i understand, after all, i think last blade are a bueatiful set of games
yet i can't really get into them. I like the stylized sword fighting of sam sho
and if anything, that has spoiled me over anything guilty gear.
not that anyone has a choice about the Sammy thing,
therefore we all gotta wait and see.
its kinda a dig, but it reminds me of cvS from capcom where the
sprites imo were great for the SNK stock, but the whole feel and
play of the game was really bland and boring.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Someday... this topic will remain in general without a mod moving it to unreleated... think about that!

-Nick

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Guilty Gear wa meh....

Like ok this one time I played I don't know the newest one or whatever at this party, and I've played about twice in the arcade, and I was still able to beat most people so that just leads me to believe that people who are raised on Guilty Gear just suck at fighting games while people who play Neo Geo and Capcom games are awesome. :)