Identifying bootleg AES carts by weight?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Disclaimer: Yes I know someone could read this thread and then attempt to weight an AES cartridge similar. However we all know that eproms weight more than mask roms, so trying to make it lighter with eproms is not possible. BOONNG!

MadMan brought up conversion as well, which is something I thought about too. I'm guess I'm looking at the eprom bastards trying to sell them on eBay etc.

Theory: If there was let's say a database that reported how much "exactly" a specific AES cartridge should weight. This would help users not have to open legit carts (persay) and crease labels, etc. If this sounds like a smart idea, can we have a few users who let's say have Samurai Shodown 2 in English and Japanese and see if the weight matches... it should. I know some board types for CHA are different like AES WH2J for example, but I don't know if that would cause issues with the weight specifically.

Fucking crazy or fucking smart? IDK you tell me.

94TbAejig.png

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What about conversions using original mask ROMs?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
What about conversions using original mask ROMs?

I thought about that one as well. I'd prefer a conversion over a bootleg, but that all depends on how much I paid for it lol. I'm curious how many people have Metal Slug or 2 in their collections as bootlegs, I know at least one does from reading the forums. With that said, I don't think there's anyway to know besides the label and damage around the cart from opening it, because obviously the weight would still be the same with the mask roms, even with a heavy solder "hand" when soldering, the weight wouldn't be that much off.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Don't be lazy bro:

e582.jpg

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
You could also check (some) of the ROMs throughout the air vents of the cart shell with a flashlight. Maybe a small endoscope camera could be helpful too...

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
You could also check (some) of the ROMs throughout the air vents of the cart shell with a flashlight. Maybe a small endoscope camera could be helpful too...

This is actually a good idea, but scary. We've reached a point where we have to give our carts a colonoscopy to check out the innards.