ID Software (Doom) had a Neogeo AES?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I was watching this video where someone recorded a visit to the offices of ID Software circa 1993 and at about 18 seconds into the video I see what I think are AES joysticks on the table in front of the TV.

The game playing on the screen seems to be Aladdin for the genesis, but folks are not using the arcade sticks on the table to play the game, suggesting they could be plugged into an AES that is off the screen.

What do you think, was ID Software playing the AES in 1993? Did SNK indirectly influence the creation of Doom?

1647137027213.png

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The Super Spy was like 1990, then Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were afterwards at around 92/93 right? So anything is possible if we’re talking about potential influences I suppose :lolz:

superspy3.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Doesn't seem all that surprising that video game developers would have high end video game hardware sitting around.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I vaguely remember in the ‘Masters of Doom’ book I read years ago that the ID software bunch all worked together, lived together, and played games together - both videogames and DnD.

So that AES was probably a lunchtime break toy and not directly related to anything they were working on. Pretty hard to tell from the blurry footage but I think I saw a Samurai Shodown poster on the wall in that room with the AES.