I want to get FFIV on GBA maybe...

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
but I just have one question; what are the random encounters like? I HATE in RPGs when you get into random encounters every couple steps in a dungeon.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It varies; I'd say about every 7 steps. But there are times where you'll walk a whole floor and not run into anything and other times where you take 1 step and run into fights, so it depends.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Also, don't forget this is an OLD final fantasy with random encounters. You know, the ones where most battles were quick!!! No long load times, so waiting for monsters to load while the screen rotates. Summons didn't take forever. None of those, the battle starts by the time a Skies of Arcadia battle could start and finish.

Random encounters are much more enjoyable when the graphics and speed were quick and to the point. That's where this one falls in. It's actually not bad. Sometimes, like said above, it's more often and other times less.

Of course, FFXII will change all that as that seems to be one of the most significant changes to the battle system, I've seen in a long time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What's a good level to be at when fighting Zeromus? In the SNES one, 50 worked just fine, but since this game is 10X harder, I'm think 60 or more? Cecil and Kain are at 60, while the rest of the party is 56-59. Yang sucks; he takes damage like a baby. If he gets hit with a Blitz, he takes like 2700 damage. The bonus dungeon armor for him sucks. Same with Kain; I've got Genji armor for him and he take bookoo damage from heat rays and Blitzes.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'd love to tell you, but I'm working through this game, myself. I haven't gotten there, in this version.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I think my guys were all at about level 46-47 when I beat it. Of course, at one point in the fight, I did have to use a megalixir to heal my battered team in the final battle. I also had Palom in my team, replacing Kain, so I could have two black mages blasting Zeromus.

The new ability to switch out party members towards the end is a pretty cool feature.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
GregN. said:
It varies; I'd say about every 7 steps. But there are times where you'll walk a whole floor and not run into anything and other times where you take 1 step and run into fights, so it depends.

Yeah.

I just put my GBA Micro for a break from this game. Loving it. First time I have played any version of it. Some of the criticism from people that loved the previous versions seems a bit harsh. Sure, it isn't the most difficult game I have played, and the battle system is a bit buggy, but other than that it is really enjoyable to play. Great story and music. Really quaint visuals that I like. Decent sized quest (my monster encyclopedia is over 40% so I guess I am around 40% complete??).

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Just beat it. I doubt I'll play through the bonus dungeon. 40%? You're very close to the end. My beastiary shows I've only fought 62% of enemies.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I just forged the Excalibur and got the Whale Ship...

I'm about 45-47 on Cecil, Rydia, Edge and Rosa...

Beat Asura and Leviathan going for Odin next...

I was on a rampage with this game, but have taken a break...

I have not run away from a single enemy - I wonder if this will unlock anything?

I love it!

hanafuda

GregN. said:
Just beat it. I doubt I'll play through the bonus dungeon. 40%? You're very close to the end. My beastiary shows I've only fought 62% of enemies.

Well, I have just reached the point where you can dock your ship with the hovercraft. How far in is that?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
hanafudaX said:
Well, I have just reached the point where you can dock your ship with the hovercraft. How far in is that?

On a professional scale - 70%

hanafuda

TonK said:
On a professional scale - 70%

Thanks. I have just teamed up with Edge the ninja.

My levels are between 33 and 35 at this point for the team apart from Edge who is pretty low. I'm playing the JPN version (don't know if it is any different), but do I need to do lots of level building battles or can I pretty much just progress through the story and expect to stand a chance against the final boss?

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
Generally the encounter rates are average for an FF, but toward the end of the game, there are bits where it's as bad as every 3 steps. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Luckily I was younger when the game was first released, so crying was acceptable.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
hanafudaX said:
Thanks. I have just teamed up with Edge the ninja.

My levels are between 33 and 35 at this point for the team apart from Edge who is pretty low. I'm playing the JPN version (don't know if it is any different), but do I need to do lots of level building battles or can I pretty much just progress through the story and expect to stand a chance against the final boss?

Well, you are going to miss out on a lot of content, and if you can't read Japanese it makes the experience less entertaining...

I'd say around level 45 minimum to beat Zeromus...

But you are missing quite a few spells that would greatly help you...

hanafuda

TonK said:
Well, you are going to miss out on a lot of content, and if you can't read Japanese it makes the experience less entertaining...

I'd say around level 45 minimum to beat Zeromus...

But you are missing quite a few spells that would greatly help you...

I do read Japanese so that isn't an issue.

So basically you recommend doing a fair bit of battling outside of the main story in order to build up the levels?

hanafuda

Beat the Japanese version last night.

I fired it up really late in bed just to get some more practise against the final boss, and then went on to beat it, which meant I had to sit through the lengthy end sequence barely able to keep my eyes open.

Great little game. Other than the slightly buggy battle controls (that you get used to anyway) I don't have any negative stuff to say about it.