I think I'm over From Software (unless it's Dark Souls)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I tried playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice for about four hours and, honestly, I think it's fucking terrible.

Anybody else play this game?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Nope, haven't played it, not really interested in the whole feudal Japan thing. Elden ring might be good despite the George R.R Mongoloid collab.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I played quite a bit, I like it a lot with the parry/dodge system.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I tried playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice for about four hours and, honestly, I think it's fucking terrible.

Anybody else play this game?

You’re done because of one game that didn’t click with you? Or did you not like Bloodborne as well?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I just want a new Armored Core.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
THANK YOU, TAISO!

I shit all over this game. I grudgingly played through and beat it so that no one could say that it was because I was a poor player. The game was just terrible. The whole time. I could ramble, but I'm sure you already know.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I didn't care for it and stopped playing after a few hours. It felt like the next logical step for From given that DS3 and BB were already taking them way more fast action that DeS, DS1, and DS2. I didn't like DS3 for the same reason, although I did stick through and finished it.

Takuma79

n00b
I am one of the "Few" people I know who really enjoied/liked it, I platted it on ps4

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I've loved everything from Demons Souls through Dark Souls 3, but I don't think FromSoftware is capable of making a high-intensity action game.

Sekiro is way too janky, it never feels right.

Takuma79

n00b
I felt it handled better than Tenchu and Shinobi-do (2 series they worked on prior) which were games that I really enjoyed, plus I was looking for something that was a little more challenging than everything else that I was basically going through too fast, or just getting board of.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't care for their games in general, I don't play videogames to frustrate myself.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You’re done because of one game that didn’t click with you? Or did you not like Bloodborne as well?

I wasn't a fan of Bloodborne but I wouldn't say I was put off by it. I just wasn't gripped by it at all. I never finished it because it really bored me.

But Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice just isn't very good. No, I'm not going to start a laundry list of issues the game has, and it has many.

I posted this thread because I was curious if anyone could give me a good reason why this is a GOTY contender.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I played demon's souls for like 30mins and got bored.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'm impressed by people not liking bloodborne, it's the only From Software game that I really got into (aside from a false start in which I played for a few minutes after buying it then shelved my copy for a year).

I played Demon's Souls before the whole From Software Souls is HAERDCOR meme and got bored, same with Dark Souls. I'd rather beat King's Field on the PS1 again.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I really enjoyed Sekiro as a Tenchu/Shinobido spiritual successor (one that felt merged with a few too many random souls-style boss encounters but still fun nonetheless). It was far from perfect, but it was a lot of fun to beat.

I actually enjoyed Nioh a lot more, with it’s more plentiful weapon and stance options. Both games are great though and each take on this new 3D Shiren the Wanderer-style gameplay has been fun to enjoy. I wouldn’t write off Sekiro’s take on the combat just yet. Let’s see what Sekiro 2 brings to the table.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Back when I was playing the Adventures of Cookie and Cream on the PS2 and Murakumo on the Xbox, I never would have guessed that From Software, of all companies, would be one of the developers to survive longest.

Personally, I routinely confused them with Idea Factory, which was a dreadful company. To From's credit, they are certainly better than Idea Factory.

... Seriosuly, From Software?? Their name isn't even compatible with native English.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I like it, overall, but the parry system isn't anywhere near as enjoyable as learning spacing and dodging (or sword and board if that's your thing) in other From games, Nioh, etc.

From's traced a pretty direct path from very customizable playstyle (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls), to less so (Bloodborne) to hardly any (Sekiro).

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Their games have great atmosphere and style. The can make every part of a game fantastic except the game play portion. Their games are abysmal to play. Terrible hit detection, clipping all over. I’m all for a game challenging me to be perfect in execution. I just ask that the game give me the tools execute precisely.

Damn shame too.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
From's traced a pretty direct path from very customizable playstyle (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls), to less so (Bloodborne) to hardly any (Sekiro).

This is my biggest problem with Sekiro, among many of the problems it undeniably has.

Aside from atmosphere, the thing I really liked about From's offerings until now is that their lack of polish was offset by allowing players to customize their characters to suit how they engaged with a game engine that comes up short in a number of respects. You can grind and establish how you want to play or you can try to speed run and show how good you are without that much leveling. These games had the illusion of difficulty but really, you were given all the tools you needed to tackle these challenges in the way that was most comfortable for you.

With Sekiro, many of those customization options are denied you. As a result, Nioh stomps a mudhole in Sekiro's ass. My big problems with Nioh is the mission based progression and the loot and item upgrading system, which are nearly impenetrable.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I played demon's souls for like 30mins and got bored.

BluePoint Games (developers of Shadow of Colossus Remake and numerous HD ports) has made a couple of cryptic tweets referencing various games. Demon's Souls is one of them.

They are working on 2 projects, one of which will be on PS5. The other referenced games include Legend of Dragoon, Ico, SotN, Twisted Metal / Metal Gear and some others.

https://twitter.com/bluepointgames/status/1190010197315641344

https://twitter.com/bluepointgames/status/1200211292251922439

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Sekiro's control scheme was innovative but the steep learning curve sucked all of the fun out of the experience. Allowing the special move trees to level up twice as fast might have saved it. I still think From Software is smart to change up the Souls formula as it is starting to feel used up.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Sekiro is an okay game but it does an absolutely terrible job of introducing its mechanics to the player.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I enjoyed Sekiro, and enjoyed the story. But I rage quit a couple times. Ok lotsa times.

But I finally completed it and it was enjoyable. Honestly the best fight to me was with Genichiro in the tower. Of all the From games I've played, Bloodborne is the best. Best atmosphere, best combat, best story with a shit-asston of lore, and best DLC.

DS3 is good too but Bloodborne > SNK