I need help choosing an EEPROM programmer

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
I know that there's an expert on everything somewhere on here, so I thought I should ask about this. I am wanting to pick an EEPROM programmer, but have no idea which to pick on ebay. I want to spend as little as possible, have vista support, 8 pin chips through 40 pin support, and be USB compatible. Here's hoping someone can help out.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I know that there's an expert on everything somewhere on here, so I thought I should ask about this. I am wanting to pick an EEPROM programmer, but have no idea which to pick on ebay. I want to spend as little as possible, have vista support, 8 pin chips through 40 pin support, and be USB compatible. Here's hoping someone can help out.

Normally I would suggest a Willem Eprom programmer as they are cheap and reliable being able to program up to 42 pin 32 meg eproms and all modern eproms made from 1990 and up (no pacman support) but you killed it when you said vista support as that POS OS doesn't support crap.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
Well, vista is my only OS, so I need to have it. I was looking at a few willems actually.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
If you could somehow get the burning program to work in Linux I'd suggest making a live CD with that program already preconfigured and boot that every time you need to use your programmer. It's a pain in the ass, but Vista is a bitch when it comes to compatibility.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
But I can't. I would have to wipe my HD, and I like vista, nothing wrong with it. Are there ANY programmers that work with vista?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Not sure if this would work, but you could run Windows XP (or 2k or whatever its compatible with) through a virtual machine for the programmer.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
I heard that uses a lot of RAM, and laptop only has 2 gigs, which is barely enough to feed vista. I would love it to be so though, that would be too easy.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
I heard that uses a lot of RAM, and laptop only has 2 gigs, which is barely enough to feed vista. I would love it to be so though, that would be too easy.

Eh, I've been able to run a VM on my laptop with only 2gb of RAM while running Vista. It's not taxing if you know how to set things up properly.

EDIT: Oh and you could also look into resizing the Vista Partition and installing XP or something. You could then dual boot and go into XP or whatever anytime you needed to program something.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Good luck with getting a VM to work with a programmer...

If you want a programmer that works with Vista, you'll need some cash and a lot of time. It's hard to find one that works with it. They monkied with the driver subsystem and it's totally different.

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
Yeah, I'm getting an external HDD so I can just back up mine, and get dual booting working.