I kid you not: King Of Fighters: the movie in the works!!

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Bobak said:
Okay... here are some more ideas, and some alternates to who I mentioned above:

Takuma: George Clooney
Ryo: Matt Damon
Robert: Antonio Banderas

Chang: Dom DeLuise
Choi: Shaobo Qin (the little guy from the Oceans 11 movies)

Chris: Brad Pitt (maybe even Iori)
Benimaru: after a long time thinking, I think I would have to say Mushiki or the guy from "What not to Wear"

Heidern: Stallone

I admit I'm having problems thinking of any female leads that would really work...
King: Hillary Swank might work here too.

Do we really want King Of Fighters to suffer the same fate as the live action USA Street Fighter film? Funny list though... "King Of Fighters... the movie!!! Starring Bastista as Goro... Keanu Reeves as Kim Kaphwan... special guest star, Chris Tucker as Lucky Glauber".

Yeeks... what is wrong with my brain? :tickled:

aria

Former Moderator
VinylBoy said:
Keanu Reeves as Kim Kaphwan...

Oh. my. god. BRILLIANT!

It would be even funnier if he kept getting called "Neo", an in joke on two levels.

Heavy D?

There's only one answer: Mike Tyson. He was surprisingly fun in "Black & White" (the best clip)... in fact, I'd scrap the whole Heavy D character and simply have Mike play himself.

aria

Former Moderator
games_sk said:
Personally, I would have liked a Korean director/producer/screen writer etc... to make the KOF movie as their movie making skills are far superior to Chinese and Japanese.

You can't seriously believe this, right?

I mean, its per se absurd to assume ethnicity-wide "superiority" to begin with and, even looking at track records, how can someone ever seriously dismiss Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu, Miyazaki or the golden years of China's Fifth Generation?

I'll just assume that statement was made in jest.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Bobak said:
You can't seriously believe this, right?

I mean, its per se absurd to assume ethnicity-wide "superiority" to begin with and, even looking at track records, how can someone ever seriously dismiss Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu, Miyazaki or the golden years of China's Fifth Generation?

I'll just assume that statement was made in jest.

Well, everyone knows that the big name Japanese and Chinese directors of recent times will not bother themselves in making a movie based on a videogame.
And so, it is up to the less talented directors who have made a load of average movies to do this one.

I just prefer the recent Korean movies as they are really well done. Whereas most of the Japanese fantasy movies I have seen are just way over the top both in action and acting and Chinese martial arts movies are mostly low budget. Last one I saw was Twins Effect 2 featuring Donnie Yen and Jackie Chan along with his son. This movie was terrible. There are quite a few similar movies like that in Chinese cinema. The only movies that are 5 star quality are Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Anyway, I don't really care who makes this movie or how because it will more than likely be below average.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
games_sk said:
Well, everyone knows that the big name Japanese and Chinese directors of recent times will not bother themselves in making a movie based on a videogame.
And so, it is up to the less talented directors who have made a load of average movies to do this one.

I just prefer the recent Korean movies as they are really well done. Whereas most of the Japanese fantasy movies I have seen are just way over the top both in action and acting and Chinese martial arts movies are mostly low budget. Last one I saw was Twins Effect 2 featuring Donnie Yen and Jackie Chan along with his son. This movie was terrible. There are quite a few similar movies like that in Chinese cinema. The only movies that are 5 star quality are Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Anyway, I don't really care who makes this movie or how because it will more than likely be below average.
stfu noob, if you feel that way then gtfo!

ikariwarriorf22

New Challenger
King Of Fighters the movie

Good day everyone. While I am new to these boards, I am a huge fan of Metal Slug, Ikari Warriors, King Of Fighters as well as the SNK Vs Capcom games etc.

King Of Fighters the film

Andy Bogard = Jason Statham
Joe Higashi = Tony Jaa
Clark Still = Kane Kosugi
Terry Bogard = Tom Jane
Geese Howard = Sean Bean
Hanzo Hattori = Sonny Chiba
Mai Shiranui = Aya Ueto

Director Ryuhei Kitamura

aria

Former Moderator
games_sk said:

Okay, that's a more reasonable argument regardless of my own personal opinion. The previous one was like skipping from step 1 to step 11.

aria

Former Moderator
Going back to my less serious thoughts, I'd like to take stab at who should direct:

Salvadore Dali

But alas, he's dead. So I guess I'll go with Spike Jonze, off of a screenplay adaptation by Charlie Kaufman.

Now that'd be a The King of Fighters I'd see!

aria

Former Moderator
Oh snap... it's coming to me:

Nicolas Cage as Iori.
Robert DeNiro as Takuma!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Going back to my less serious thoughts, I'd like to take stab at who should direct:

Salvadore Dali

But alas, he's dead. So I guess I'll go with Spike Jonze, off of a screenplay adaptation by Charlie Kaufman.

Now that'd be a The King of Fighters I'd see!

Dali is dead, but Jodorwosky is not! Next best thing!

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Bobak said:
Okay, that's a more reasonable argument regardless of my own personal opinion. The previous one was like skipping from step 1 to step 11.

True, apologies for my first post as it was quite full on.

Anyway, for all we know this movie could get canned before filming. I thought a Soul Calibur movie was in the works involving Sammo Hung but that got cancelled I think?

neodizzle

n00b
Hmmm, don't know about most video-game based movies....seems the only decent American-made one I can remember is resident evil. Maybe it's just too early in the morning and I can't think but...Guess I can't blame them too bad since it seems pretty difficult to make the transition from game characters to the big screen.

Although, on a slightly different topic, I was skepitcal when I first heard about the transformer movie but I was pretty pleased at the result.

MonoTekETeA

NEST Puppet
Bump, I was browsing and saw this.

It appears that Chris Evans from "The Fantastic Four" will also be part of this film. The filming started yesterday in Canada...

It started filming a week ago, lol, here we go!

I wonder if there is an updated "roster"...goes searching.

Here's what's known so far about the KOF movie (courtesy of The Film Catalogue, BC Film Commission, and Cyberfanatix). Remember, take this with a barrel of salt (better yet, make it three):

Movie: The King of Fighters ( Action/Adventure ).

Language: English.

Schedule: Nov 17/08 - Jan 14/09.

Director: Gordon Chan.

Writer: tba tba.

Exec. Prod: Jim Seibel, Bill Johnson, Gary Hamilton, Jeff Abberley, Julia Blackman.

Prod: Joseph Chou, Tim Kwok, Bobby Sheng.

Line Producer: Deboragh Gabler.

DOP: Arthur Wong.

PD: Jill Scott.

PM: Simon Abbott.

PC: Stacey Harris.

LM: Abraham Fraser.

ALM: Otto Mak.

Cast: Maggie Q, Sean Faris, Ray Park, David Leitch.

Casting: Michelle Gretz, Candice Elzinga.

Extras: Kit Hayward.

Synopsis: A stylish, high-octane, live action feature based on the highly successful video game franchise, in which the last surviving descendants of three legendary clans are continuously transported to other dimensions to test their martial arts skills against an evil force that seeks to invade and infect the real world.

So, by the end of 2010, which franchise will have suffered more credibility damage due to an awful live-action film adaptation: GI Joe, Street Fighter or KOF? My money's on KOF, since they've never had a fair break in the U.S. (sales of KOF action figures and Korean manhwa flatlined ever since they were first released, and I have no idea how many copies of KOF: Maximum Impact and KOF 2006 were sold).

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Well, if the writers are still TBA and the movie has begun filming than I'm sure we're in for a treat.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You guys need to remember that since KOF wasn't as widely popular as Street Fighter, if this movie turns out to be great then the series will spark a lot of interest in SNK/KOF games. Maybe it could be a good boost for SNK.

If it fails then only the KOF fans would know.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Synopsis: A stylish, high-octane, live action feature...in which the last surviving descendants of three legendary clans are continuously transported to other dimensions to test their martial arts skills against an evil force that seeks to invade and infect the real world.
After reading this basic synopsis, which effectively says that the movie is about dimensional transports to "face the ultimate enemy," how can any of you people think that this has something remotely good going for it?

The end result can only be successful (like Mortal Kombat AND NOT Street Fighter) if there is virtually no storyline of note and the entire "martial arts" aspect of the movie takes a 90%/10% dominance.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
You guys need to remember that since KOF wasn't as widely popular as Street Fighter, if this movie turns out to be great then the series will spark a lot of interest in SNK/KOF games. Maybe it could be a good boost for SNK.

If it fails then only the KOF fans would know.

Agree with you there.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I said it before and I will say it again. As long as the movies follow the games as much as possible, you are more likely to come out good. Silent Hill (to me) was pretty good as a video game movie. It used the right camera action, story followed by the series and it had the same feel. MK the movie also worked well since it used good martial arts action and followed the characters well. Hell, even the series had some good fighting in it and I somewhat enjoyed it back in 98-99 or so.

Street Fighter just simply had shitty fighting action and a gay ass story. The same with Double Dragon. Double Dragon still to this day can be blamed for what is expected of a video game to movie transition. It really doesn't help that Uwe Boll's movies are destroying this genre even more.

Let us hope that KOF is at least watchable or even better (hopes up).