i hope this question is beaten to death....

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Because i haven't seen it here, well here it is.
What got you hooked to SNK? Neo Geo? and all that stuff...

I use to be a BIG capcom fan and when me and my freinds went to a new arcade to play DDR we saw CVM2 and next to it CVS2. i read about CVS and i thought SNK back then was worthless. I only tried the game cuz it had the SF2 sprite M. Bison design. After playing a bit i grew to like Iori i thought his design was so freaking bad ass... i played CVS for a while til our arcade got KOF 2000. at first i thought it sucked but i gave it a second chance not comparing it to the SF3 machine next to it. and i've been loving SNK ever since

Tora Kouhi

Rugal's Secretary
I got hooked on SNK back in the early games because SNK and Capcom made the best games back then. Same with Konami and a few others

CraigPilecky

Zero's Tailor
My local arcades never had any Neo games. But whenever I got to one that did I checked em out. Samurai Showdown II, Art of Fighting. Those where the SNK games I was interested back then. But with no regular access to there arcade machines, and nowhere near enough $$ to buy the home system there wasn't much I could do but dream about the day I would own a Neo Geo.

Until 1999 I only played Capcom fighters. Then I got KoF98 for Dreamcast. From then on I began collecting KoF games and other SNK games for the systems I had.

Ive been a big SNK fan for about 3 years now, and this week I got a Neo Geo with a Phantom 1 convertor! =)

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Fatal Fury got me hooked, though being able to actually buy shit I wanted didn't start hitting full swing till about 5-6 years ago.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
P.O.W. in the arcades way back in '86. Been hooked on SNK ever since.

Yagami

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
with games like world heros 2, fatal fury special , samurai shodown ........ we had no choice but to buy this system back in 94 (great times they were). as time went on, the prices went too high reaching the 300$. instead of keeping the system, we decided to sell it since we were dissappointed with newer games (didn't like SS 3 , KOF 96 at all) ........... 5 years later (mid 2001), I found kof 98 getting popular in one of the shopping centers' arcade where I go the often so I found myself enjoying the series again. found 2000 later (which I enjoyed it to death back then) and finally 2001 is taking my time and interest now.

we had a NEO + 2 joysticks + memory card

the games were :

-world heros 2 (1st game in the collection)
-FF special
-SS 1
-AOF 2
-KOF 94
-(brother brought SS 2 from his friend)
-Karnove's Revenge
-baseball stars
-riding hero
-3 count bout
-(brother brought KOF 95 and world heros jet from his friend)
-FF3

these are the game that I can remeber, not sure if they are all of them

(forgot to mention my experience at the Arcades back on those days ......... really nice times they were)

<small>[ January 18, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: k'_127 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I remember playing Fatal Fury in the arcades when it first came out. It wasn't until Fatal Fury 2 that Neo claimed my soul. Seeing Kim's SDM for the first time made me shit my pants. I liked SNKs games on the NES too, although I didn't associate company names with their games at that time.

L

less than joseph

I used to play Samsho2 at the skating rink. Then I scoured Nashville looking for neos and playing every game I could find. Ive been hooked ever since

-joseph

VX

Hardened Shock Trooper
A store near my elementry school had an MVS cab with AOF2 in it. If I had money, I'd go and play as long as I could on it. It was really fun and had bigger sprites than SF2, plus it was more enjoyable.

Also, I played Fatal Fury 1 on the Genesis...loved playing NG and SNK games ever since.

shir0

Later, Gumm0
A long while ago, back when I was in junior
high, I was in a mall and I saw Samurai S.
4, since then I have been hooked.

Everytime I think about the cab that got me
into this obsession, I smile.

Later

shir0

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
It was one of the Fatal Furies at this small arcade ( I think it was FF Special - but I can't remember for sure... )
I couldn't even do special moves and such, I was just jumping around with regular attacks...

I was hooked. wink

MattMan

Galford's Armourer
Maybe like 5 years ago I took up bowling and they had a metal slug cab and basically i barely bowled and played MS constantly so I was hooked ever sense.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Well the first Neo-Geo games I remember playing were World Heroes on the Genesis, and then in the arcade... and many years later Samurai Shodown on the 3DO. Neither of these hooked me, though. It wasn't until about a year ago that I really started wondering about the Neo-Geo, and I was really into picking up a lot more skill based 2D games especially shooters. I came upon this website and it surprised me that not only were new games coming out, but there were so few of them! Like 300 english copies of MS4. That was totally insane to me. I wanted to get it right then and there because I thought it would be so cool to have such a rare game... But my sanity took control of me and I decided to actually try out games before throwing away tons of money. I proceeded to emulate a Metal Slug game... I had won a Neo-Geo on ebay using money from selling the PSX Dragon ball Z Final Bout, and I wanted a game for my system. I settled on Metal Slug 3. Loved it, and the rest is history. Now I have quite a few Neo-Geo games!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I remember the joint effort of Babbages selling the Neo, and then going to the arcade in the very same mall, and playing the MVS games. I was blown away by the graphics and what not. I loved BBS2, AOF2, and Fatal Fury, but when Samurai Shodown 1 came out, I knew that this was something special, and I HAD to have it. And now I do. ^_^

Spike

M

MrMonk

I've always been really into video games. When the Neo console was still relatively new in the market I recieved it as a gift. It was always my ultimate goal to own one since I liked most of the arcade games on it at the time, and wanted that exeperience at home. This was right when the original Fatal Fury came out. Old school titles like Blue's Journey, King of the Monsters, Fatal Fury, etc. owned me.

Most of my games I've also owned since new, but I sort of dropped out of the Neo Geo scene when I started college in 1998.

Only in the past year have I hooked the system back up and started playing it daily again, and rediscovering the magic of all the Neo has to offer. Also, games that have come out since I stopped buying in '98 I'm only now discovering, stuff like MOTW, KOF 2000, and the Last Blade series are all new to me, as are the Japan only catridges.

SNKFreak

Banned
For me it was Crystalis, Samurai Shodown, World Heroes and Art of Fighting. I couldnt keep my hands off of these games!!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SPINMASTER X:
SNK Fuckin sucks.
You're spam fucking sucks, ever think about that? You're really slipping, don't slip any further. And don't insult SNK here, joke or not.

Spike

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
My friend showing me pictures of Samurai Shodown in an old issue of EGM. He was like 'This is going to blow Street Fighter 2 away!', and judging by the size of the sprites from the picture in the magazine, I believed him.

He finallt located an SS in a bowling alley a few weeks later, I played it with him there, and have been hooked ever since.

This was back in 1992 I guess...

I was wandering through an arcade on holiday one year and came accross a little known title called "metal slug" i put a credit in and died withing 30 seconds. i walked away in disgust, came back later in the holiday and tried it again. from then on i was totally hooked! only had the cash to buy stuff propely for a year or so though...

NeoZ24

Galford's Armourer
I use to drool over neo games in egm. They had 20 page catalogs of neo stuff too. Playing samurai showdown got me to buy one though. Then motw :)

Baseley09

Hair Group,
It was after seeing the NeoGeo logo and then playing Fatal Fury in my local Jam.

Wouldnt say i was hooked, o have ever been, just got an over keen interest.