I have rediscovered the PSP. Must have games advice please

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Well I picked up a JPN slim a few weeks about and I am absolutely loving it. I have fallen in love with the PSP again and would like to expand my library. Can I have some recommendations on must have games please. Here are some that I am planning on getting:

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Jeanne D'Arc
Dracula X
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (maybe)
R & C: Size Matters

Can you guys recommend any other great games for the system. I have been playing my DS for so long I didn't realize how much good stuff came out for the PSP.

BIG

sony fanboy
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror + Logan's Shadow
DJ Max Portable Series
R-Type Tactics
Konami Collections (Gradius, Parodius, Twin Bee, Salamander)
Field Commander
Killzone: Liberation
Gitaroo Man Live!
Ultimate Ghost n' Goblins
Mega Man Remakes
etc....

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
initial d, if you don't mind a bit of Japanese text
capcom classics collection v1 or 2,
darkstalkers
gradius collection
pursuit force
katmari

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Now is a great time to get back into the PSP, a lot of great games have come out in the last 6 months and more are on the way.

Portable Ops is a mixed bag. On one hand, it is directly related to Snake Eater, and it looks fantastic for a portable title. The multiplayer is also fun, a lot like MGO. On the other hand, the controls are very limited by the lack of a second analog stick, so at first it's like wrestling with a fucking bear to get your character to do what you want. The squad building feature is addictive as hell too. I'd say go for it, just expect to deal with some strange controls at first until you get used to them.

Jeanne D'Arc is fantastic, kind of a slightly less complicated Final Fantasy Tactics type game. Definitely worth a buy.

Dracula X.. that's a no-brainer. Get it.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2? I can't recommend this game enough, but there are some things to expect with it. It's a hard game, but it's rewarding. There are hundreds of items to create, dozens and dozens of quests to do, and multiple zones to explore. The graphics are very good for a handheld title, and the music is fantastic. Building up your Pokke farm is also a fun little diversion from the hack and slash, and it's worth every point you invest in it as you can only get some rare items from the farm.

But the real meat of the game, they wyvern (dragon) hunting is where it's at. It can also be the hardest and most frustrating. You can only go so far alone, some of the tougher ones will require 1-3 additional players. That's where the ad-hoc mode comes in. If you have local friends with PSP's and MHF2, your enjoyment of the game will shoot up immensely. Otherwise, look into a Datel Wifi Max and use Xlink Kai to play online. If you stick to solo offline play, you'll be missing a huge chunk of the game's content.

Kirk Foiden is set up to play online, and I will be within a week or so. I'd be happy to meet up with you or anyone from NG.com for that matter.

Also, don't forget that Final Fantasy Tactics just released for PSP last week. Other than a little lag during magic attacks, it's an amazing port. The old dated looking CG cutscenes have been totally replaced, and the game's dialogue has been improved. A definite must buy.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
BIG said:
DJ Max Portable Series
R-Type Tactics
Field Commander
Gitaroo Man Live!
Mega Man Remakes
etc....

Agreed.

If you end up going online, Killzone is fantastic.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
BIG said:
DJ Max Portable Series
R-Type Tactics
Field Commander
Gitaroo Man Live!
Mega Man Remakes
etc....

This post needs some Final Fantasy Tactics.

:tickled:

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Hey everyone. Thanks for all of the advice. I stopped by Toys R Us today and picked up Ratchet & Clank, Monster Hunter Freedom 2, and Jeanne D'arc. I got Jeanne D'arc for free because of their 2 for 1 deal, so I was quite pleased. It was the last one too (I rule :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: ). Thanks again and keep the advice coming.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm probably in the minority, but I thought that Sonic Rivals was very underrated. I very much enjoyed it.

I also liked Lumines, MGS, Jeanne D'Arc, and Tekken. Vice City Stories is decent too.

I still don't own one yet though. I've been playing my uncle's. I'm holding out for GoW, Crisis Core, KH, and Sonic Rivals 2.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I also just got back on this horse...with the added tweaks on the slim, it's a damn good system.
As lost as it gets in the DS hype, most folks forget that this is the only serious challenger Nintendo has ever had in the portable arena...while DS has still outsold PSP 2 to 1, that still means they've sold 25 million PSPs. Not too shabby.

As an arcade person, this little sucker is indispensable. All the Konami goodness, Capcom retro stuff, excellent versions of Tekken and RR...good shit to be had.

PSP=Game Gear of the 21st century. Right down to the better screen.

None of this even delves into the homebrew scene, which I could use some serious :help: with.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
BigTinz said:
Have you hacked your psp yet?

No, and I really dont have a clue where to begin with.
I just bought a slim, and dug up a 2GB memory stick at a local store.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I don't know if you like RPGs but ...

Breath Of Fire III (UK release)
Tales Of Eternia (UK release) Make sure the UMD has firmware 2.50 or greater
Tales Of The World: Radiant Mythologies
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

other titles ...
Metal Slug Anthology
Initial D Street Stage (JPN PSP)
Hot Shots Golf
Gitaroo Man Lives
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Yeah, I just went and bought a PSP a couple weeks ago. It's finally got a good amount fun stuff!

So far, Jeanne d'Arc is my favorite that I've played so far. It's one of the best strategy RPGs I've played since FF Tactics. It doesn't bog you down with a zillion things to learn, and has a fun and entertaining storyline.

Jimid2

i party like its 2002, w00t!?
I agree with many of the games posted in this thread so far, but wanted to add a couple more...

The Power Stone Collection is a great brawler, and if you never played these games on the Dreamcast (or even if you did) you owe it to yourself to take them for a spin on your PSP...

Ridge Racer is still one of the best arcade racing games out there, and it shines on the PSP - a launch game that's just as impressive now as it was on day one.

Burnout Dominator is a hoot! If you like the arcade smash-'em-up that is the Burnout series at all, this one is guaranteed not to disappoint...

The Metal Slug Collection is terrific value for the money - six killer MS games on one disk? how can you go wrong?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Lots of great stuff already mentioned.

Here are two more that I personally recommend but may not be your cup of tea.

Colin Mcrae Rally

Not an arcade racer by any means, but quite probably the finest driving game on a handheld system to date.

Metal Gear Solid - Bande Dessinee

If you like your Metal Gear, you should check this out. Low cost title, and really well put together. Full of background info too if that is your thing. Sons Of Liberty is coming out next year with full voice acting.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I thought portable ops was awful tbh, and the squad gathering was just painful

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Portable Ops + should be on your list too, provided you get into the first one. Been playing it a lot recently.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
PSP owns. The homebrew is a nice touch, but by no means does it make the system, as used to think was the case.

Crush is pretty good, if you like puzzle games. Pretty tough too. Can't recommend Me and My Katamari enough. Tons of great stuff.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Just got back into PSP as well thanks to the slim. So far I have picked up and would recommend:

crush
gitaroo man
capcom classics
ghosts and goblins
the warriors
chili con carnage

And before I sold my old PSP I played a ton of metal slug anthology and since this is neo geo forums its a must!

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just finished R&C Size Matter. I really enjoyed it. First R&C game I have ever bought. Cannot wait for the PS3 version.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Mgs:po was pretty bad.

My selection
Astonishia story
Exit
Ultimate Ghost n goblins
Capcom classics collection both but preferably reloaded.
breath of fire 3
Ridge racer 1 & 2
When it comes out Silent hill origins.
popolopcrois/any 2d rpg
hot head i think its called. a wario ware game
Alpha 3
darkstalkers
Platypus

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just started Jeanne D'arc. I am liking it a lot. Reminds me of Saturn Shining Force a bit. I would kill for a Shining Force (1, 2, and 3, not that new shit) as a PSP compilation. Cut scenes are top notch. Only wish there was an option for Japanese with English subtitles.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
I also just got back on this horse...with the added tweaks on the slim, it's a damn good system.
As lost as it gets in the DS hype, most folks forget that this is the only serious challenger Nintendo has ever had in the portable arena...while DS has still outsold PSP 2 to 1, that still means they've sold 25 million PSPs. Not too shabby.

As an arcade person, this little sucker is indispensable. All the Konami goodness, Capcom retro stuff, excellent versions of Tekken and RR...good shit to be had.

PSP=Game Gear of the 21st century. Right down to the better screen.

None of this even delves into the homebrew scene, which I could use some serious :help: with.

Which PSP do you have, the first style or the slim?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thought I'd bump this because I plan on getting a PSP soon since the TV gets the most use by others in the house and I still want to play games.

What other good games for PSP have come out since October 2007?

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Initial D Street Stage
Darkstalkers
Metal Slug Collection
King Of Fighters Orochi Collection