I broke the world record on Over Top.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
yeah.

overtop-wr.png

the Gamest/Arcadia world record, according to Gemant's Gamest/Arcadia database, is 3'14"72.

Me and another player at MARP think that a time of around 3'11 could be done in an absolutely flawless run. Unfortunately, one of the keys to getting a good time is by doing a speed boost by bumping into one of the CPU cars at the beginning, and you can't do the trick on certain cars...

anyway, the inp recording is available from this link, requires WolfMAME 0.106.

I don't know why I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if anyone cares. I just wanted to brag though :emb:

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Although I´ve never played over top, very cool nonetheless :)

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
Never played Over Top either (not a racing fan really) but I always enjoy reading your gameplay posts so congrats BBH. Make sure to get it put up on Gemants site :cool:

Gemant

Member,
congratulations for this result.

question:

there are differences between europe 2 bios and japan mvs 3 bios in this game?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
god i love overtop

congrats man, will they accept your mame record ?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What car did you use to set the record?

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
congratulationsif9.gif

Now all I'm wondering is if you'll wind up with a custom rank to reflect the achievement...
:smirk:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Gemant said:
congratulations for this result.

question:

there are differences between europe 2 bios and japan mvs 3 bios in this game?

no idea if there are any differences, I haven't really tried on a Japanese bios. Guess I should do that.

kernow said:
god i love overtop

congrats man, will they accept your mame record ?

if by they you mean Arcadia, then nah. :(

Neo Alec said:
What car did you use to set the record?

the Falcon (Hummer), which was the same vehicle used for the record. It gets fantastic speed on stages 4 and 5, but is slower most of the other cars on pavement... but if you can get the speed boost trick to work right off the starting line, you can make up for that deficiency at least (it's possible to get below 20 seconds on stage 1 using the Falcon with the boost, without the boost you'll only get 25-26 seconds)

Kazuki Dash said:
Now all I'm wondering is if you'll wind up with a custom rank to reflect the achievement...
:smirk:

actually I've been wanting my old "Shock Trooper" rank back for years, but the mods apparently don't want to give a Neo-Geo related custom rank on a Neo-Geo forum :crying:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i suck so bad at that game. i could never get the handling down and i'd slide right into a wall and i never had the dedication to keep trying. so good job man. kicking ass in a game i suck ass in.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
okay nevermind, my time's been beaten by two other players already (Over Top is one of the games in a tournament going on right now that I'm helping run). That didn't last long at all. :kekeke: