Hyrule Warriors -- First impressions?

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
Just wondering for those who have the game what they think of it so far. I have only played the first two maps in legend mode, but it's quite fun so far and I've enjoyed what I've played of it. The adventure mode is pretty fun with specific goals and a time limit. Nice that they incorporated the original LOZ into it!

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ive played the first 3 stages in legend mode. I enjoy it so far. Only thing that annoys me are those damn golden skullulas. Can't seem to find them when they appear on the map. Ive only found the first 1 in stage 1

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
tumblr_inline_ncmmptckhW1rq8g2n.jpg
I'm having WAY more fun with this than I thought I ever would.

Also

Ive played the first 3 stages in legend mode. I enjoy it so far. Only thing that annoys me are those damn golden skullulas. Can't seem to find them when they appear on the map. Ive only found the first 1 in stage 1

Stage 2's was hard to find, It's under a boulder you need to bomb, close to the center of the web. If you hear it scuttling, look for a boulder.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
View attachment 19151
I'm having WAY more fun with this than I thought I ever would.

Also

Stage 2's was hard to find, It's under a boulder you need to bomb, close to the center of the web. If you hear it scuttling, look for a boulder.

Thanks for the tip. Ill run through it again. What character(s) are you guys enjoying playing with most? So far its Sheik for me. I just love spamming the Y>X attack (water hurricane thing)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I have not played it but it seems like Dynasty Warriors with a LOZ theme. which in my book is a good thing. I'll have to talk Craig into getting it since I don't have a WiiU.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm enjoying it. It's a button masher set in the Zelda world. The characters are over the top and fun. I'm at the last part of the story mode of the game and I haven't touched much of the Adventure Mode since most of it's blocked off until you do the story mode so some characters you won't get to play as until you finish the whole game. I knew going into it what I was getting. I'm not sure why some people are so against these types of games. It's a power fantasy because you can be facing a whole horde of monsters and with the push of a button, slice through them like a hot knife through butter. It's simple mindless fun with an excellent presentation. I NEED the soundtrack. Some excellent remixed tunes in this one. Not sure if I'll drop the 20 bucks on the extra stuff they've got coming out in a couple of months but I'll be heading back to it after I'm all said and done with Smash Brothers.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
It's a power fantasy because you can be facing a whole horde of monsters and with the push of a button, slice through them like a hot knife through butter.

The issue I have with that aspect of the game is that the hordes of monsters are mostly just aesthetic. It'd be like if Mario 3D World featured a ground full of hundreds of tiny goombas that you could just run over. On the surface it might feel like a power trip that you're able to smash hundreds of goombas in seconds, but ultimately it would just be a distraction to the gameplay. I feel like Hyrule Warriors and games of this type would be better to just focus on the cool bosses and larger challenging encounters. Having all these weak minion hordes running around is silly.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
The issue I have with that aspect of the game is that the hordes of monsters are mostly just aesthetic. It'd be like if Mario 3D World featured a ground full of hundreds of tiny goombas that you could just run over. On the surface it might feel like a power trip that you're able to smash hundreds of goombas in seconds, but ultimately it would just be a distraction to the gameplay. I feel like Hyrule Warriors and games of this type would be better to just focus on the cool bosses and larger challenging encounters. Having all these weak minion hordes running around is silly.

What you're describing is pretty much all of the musou games, this one is just set to the Hyrule environment. I do not disagree with your main premise, I just enjoy swatting through hordes of minions. If it were just the bosses, the game would be pretty short. Instead there are certain goals in each scenario... it's gotta be filled up with something! Guess they could have put in some punching bags instead.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The game is perfectly fine. It has the same qualities and deficiencies as all DW games. Anybody that expected or wanted anything more either inexplicably set their standards way too high or didn't do their homework.

It's a good game of its type.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The game is perfectly fine. It has the same qualities and deficiencies as all DW games. Anybody that expected or wanted anything more either inexplicably set their standards way too high or didn't do their homework.

It's a good game of its type.

This

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The thing that consistently drives me nuts in this as opposed to, say, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, is that the rest of your guys are goddamn retards. If you don't take care to wipe out every single base or whatever those little rooms are along the way, just one is enough to respawn enemies that will eventually overtake any bases you have taken, and then, in the end, your fortress (whatever it's called), and you lose the mission.

It's a pain in the ass when you're trying to kill the boss that just so happens to have an attack that can hit your fortress from across the map and you realize oops, left one little band of dudes alive that's also attacking it, it's going to fall. In 90% of the missions, you HAVE to wipe out every single enemy, which isn't the case in a normal Warriors game.

It's still fun playing as Zelda characters and the weakpoint system is interesting, but the complete inability of your allies to protect the fortress is super annoying. Also makes missions take far too long- average 25 minutes or so, average mission in a Warriors game is 10.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I can't get over how much fun I am having with this game. The amount of fan-service that has been put in here is just mind blowing but I keep finding more things each time I play a stage, go through adventure mode, etc. Been trying to use Lana more in different areas and while she is great for crowd control holy shit she is terrible for the boss fights.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
The thing that consistently drives me nuts in this as opposed to, say, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, is that the rest of your guys are goddamn retards. If you don't take care to wipe out every single base or whatever those little rooms are along the way, just one is enough to respawn enemies that will eventually overtake any bases you have taken, and then, in the end, your fortress (whatever it's called), and you lose the mission.

It's a pain in the ass when you're trying to kill the boss that just so happens to have an attack that can hit your fortress from across the map and you realize oops, left one little band of dudes alive that's also attacking it, it's going to fall. In 90% of the missions, you HAVE to wipe out every single enemy, which isn't the case in a normal Warriors game.

It's still fun playing as Zelda characters and the weakpoint system is interesting, but the complete inability of your allies to protect the fortress is super annoying. Also makes missions take far too long- average 25 minutes or so, average mission in a Warriors game is 10.

I noticed this too, as I had to keep going back to different bases to reclaim them. Seems like every few minutes or so, another base is lost. It definitely makes things more hectic on the map when you play single player.