HP LaserJet Ink refills. Where to go?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I acquired a older LaserJet printer and I'm surprised at how much better Prints come out on a LaserJet Vs Inkjet. It came with a few brand New HP cartridges but the Magneta Cartridge 304A is almost on empty.

I could get cheaper after market cartridges on the cheap on Amazon but would like to refill the original cartridges instead of discarding them. Should I just scrap them or do you guys know a place where I could take them?

I know I could order a refill kit but I saw the process on youtube and It just looks messy as shit and would rather have a Pro do it.

I did not want to post this in Tech support because it's not Video game related.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don't try to refill a toner cartridge, you're asking for pain.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Buy 3rd party in some form....
Some will let you trade in your used cartridges if they are actually worth anything to them. I prefer buying refilled cartridges to outright 3rd party remakes.

The chances of leaks and issues are greatly increased. I had a printer that worked fine for 10 years, and the ink system was completely contaminated by 3rd party cartridges.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do the local "we fill printer cartridges" not do these types? I've never asked, but it's something to look into.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not likely, refilling toner cartridges is a whole different beast than liquid ink. Some larger commercial machines take toner in large bottles so it's pretty easy on those, but there is little need since commercial machines usually have a contract with the manufacturer. On small business/home machines though, the cartridge isn't just toner, they often have the drum, fuser, and other electronics built in so adding toner without messing it up is not worth it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
2018 and now just notices the different between lazer and inkjet? killing me man...:keke:

:scratch:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Did I just travel 20 years into the past? The toner cartridges for cheap printers are about as expensive as a new printer with included cartridge.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most printers under $1000 are freebies, basically. The razor pricing model.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
2018 and now just notices the different between lazer and inkjet? killing me man...:keke:

:scratch:

Yea, I've always bought inkjet printers so had no clue it was that much of a difference in quality. I'm always behind when it comes to tech. I guess I just don't pay much attention to this stuff. I remember back In the days laser printers were very expensive and only commercial places had laser printers. I guess that's not the case anymore.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A consumer can afford a color laser printer these days, just understand that printing on it is expensive as fuck, particularly on HP machines. The toners last a while, but the cost per page is through the roof. In the past I've used a cheap B&W laser printer and just took the rare color prints to Office Depot or something, but I actually went back to an inkjet printer but use cheap generic ink from amazon. I mostly just print B&W forms where the image quality doesn't matter, and the odd inkjet printable CD.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Color laser is nice but I pay less than $1 per generic cartridge for my Brother inkjet and the end result is not much different.

The quality of paper used is an important and often overlooked factor. Inkjet + quality paper > laser + standard paper.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
A consumer can afford a color laser printer these days, just understand that printing on it is expensive as fuck, particularly on HP machines. The toners last a while, but the cost per page is through the roof. In the past I've used a cheap B&W laser printer and just took the rare color prints to Office Depot or something, but I actually went back to an inkjet printer but use cheap generic ink from amazon. I mostly just print B&W forms where the image quality doesn't matter, and the odd inkjet printable CD.

Yea, I've been using this printer since 2014. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8NBVYE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't do anything professional, Mainly B&W Documents which is most important, Game Cover Stuff for UGC cases when I owned them, photos on photo paper, and even did some labels for MVS. I noticed with Photos that sometimes it just would come out too dark and no matter what paper I tried, it just wouldn't look pro. Just like when you goto a studio to have some pictures printed. I fucked around yesterday and printed a few photos on the LaserJet and I was surprised how great it came out on standard paper. The Sheet came out warm and dry and even left a slight gloss unlike a inkjet which sometimes the ink bleeds too much and leaves the paper wet and you have to wait for it to dry.

The Printer was free so the least I could do is purchase one After Market cartridge for now but no way in hell would I throw down $100 for one Original Toner Cartridge. Like you said, It just would be too costly.

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
So I acquired a older LaserJet printer and I'm surprised at how much better Prints come out on a LaserJet Vs Inkjet. It came with a few brand New HP cartridges but the Magneta Cartridge 304A is almost on empty.

I could get cheaper after market cartridges on the cheap on Amazon but would like to refill the original cartridges instead of discarding them. Should I just scrap them or do you guys know a place where I could take them?

I know I could order a refill kit but I saw the process on youtube and It just looks messy as shit and would rather have a Pro do it.

I did not want to post this in Tech support because it's not Video game related.

Not sure if they have a Fry's electronics over in Jersey, but I was in one the other day and they apparently offer a refill service for like, 8 bucks, maybe there's a similar big box store in your neck of the woods