How you should package AES games.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Oldstyle:

Remove game from case. Wrap in a single layer of bubble wrap, then in a grocery bag (to waterproof). Leave manual in case, light bubble wrap in there to hold it in place. One layer of bubble over the case, and again wrap in grocery baggie. Then put the game case spine facing up, in the priority box, then the game on top of that. If the box bows outward too much padding was used. Any weight on the top of the box will completely crush the case.

Snapcase games:

Basically the same, except you can leave the game in the case. Put a flat layer of bubble under the game, and one over it, or wrap the game in a plastic baggie. Take a piece of cardboard, and wrap it around the whole game case (Captain Crunch cereal boxes work fine), so if it does get crushed , the insert does not get punctured. Do not forget the grocery bag, to waterproof.

DONE: (Feel free to add more tips)

=====================================

RANT:

eBay sellers (and some forum members) annoy the hell out of me. It's to the point now where anytime I want to bid on something I have to ask them if they will ship games in an actual box, not a padded envelope, and take the game out of the case so it will not get shattered and dislodged.

You would think I was asking them to donate me a kidney.

Typical response: Says the expert with 200 feeback.

Oh, I always shipped neo geoz in padded envelope and no issues ever. I can't do that for you.

People literally refuse to sell to you because they are so cheap they can't even take a free priority mail box, and package up stuff right to avoid a eBay refund/partial refund. I don't even ask them to wrap the contents in a plastic bag to waterproof them before packaging. Cause it gets way too confusing then. So basically you have a padded envelope, on your porch, getting rained on while you are at work.

BUT almost every single time I have received a game it is completely fucked. Case ripped, insert torn, tray cracked and or dislodged completely.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Amen, brotha

Oldstyle:

Remove game from case. Wrap in a single layer of bubble wrap. Leave manual in case, light bubble wrap in there to hold it in place. One layer of bubble over the case. Then put the game case spine facing up, in the priority box, then the game on top of that. If the box bows outward too much padding was used. Any weight on the top of the box will completely crush the case.

Snapcase games:

Basically the same, except you can leave the game in the case. Put a flat layer of bubble under the game, and one over it, or wrap the game in a plastic baggie. Take a piece of cardboard, and wrap it around the whole game case, so if it does get crushed, the insert does not get punctured.

eBay sellers (and some forum members) annoy the hell out of me. It's to the point now where anytime I want to bid on something I have to ask them if they will ship games in an actual box, not a padded envelope, and take the game out of the case so it will not get shattered and dislodged.

Oh, I always shipped neo geoz in padded envelope and no issues ever. I can't do that for you.

People literally refuse to sell to you because they are so cheap they can't even take a free priority mail box, and package up stuff right to avoid a eBay refund/partial refund. I don't even ask them to wrap the contents in a plastic bag to waterproof them before packaging. Cause it gets way too confusing then. So basically you have a padded envelop, on your porch, getting rained on while you are at work.

BUT almost every single time I have received a game it is completely fucked. Case ripped, insert torn, tray cracked and or dislodged completely.

Here is how you ship an AES game.

NgXbTRQ.gif

Sounds like Pope Sazae :lolz:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thanks Poon-Man.

I think there should be a sticky. If this is incorrect get it right, so we can have a notification thread for new, users. I personally don't like priority boxes, too flemsy. But seeing as how they are free, I though it was relevant. Not everyone has boxes lying around the perfect size for AES, and due to weight, that's normally the only option anyway, unless you're a cheap bastard.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The raining part - why not get registered mail that requires a signature? if you're not home it will end up at the post office and not on your door step.

Pretty terrible for anyone not to package things up as if they might need to travel through a war zone though, doesn't matter if it comes in a damn case already. Tape isn't expensive, a completely taped box or padded bag can be made waterproof pretty much with just that.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Once, I ordered a copy of AOF3 from eBay, from a UK seller (shipping within the UK then). It was ï½£160 IIRC.

Anyway, the seller sent the game to me in one of those large, brown NON-PADDED envelopes! Truth of the matter is, I reckon even if it was a US copy of Metal Slug I paid 4 fig. for, he'd have STILL put it in a shitty envelope.

I remember missing the delivery and having to collect it from a local PO depot. I was pretty excited. However, this was immediately diffused into crushing disappointment when I signed for a fucked, torn envelope with part of the corner of the snaplock case penetrating the envelope itself... the corner, of course, was broken off.

The cart and manual survived, but the case and insert were fucked. The old bits of the SNK logo in the case, broken away, rattling away inside. I went back to him and he offered a full refund for return of the item. So I did. Now... the real kicker...

I found out later he relisted it (I checked completed AOF3's for a price guide) and put it back on eBay in fucked condition... for £50 (BIN). If that guy's have offered me £100 refund, I'dve kept the game in that condition, all day long. My fault. Should have used my initiative.

I still haven't managed to replace it either.

Another one... sellers putting boxed SNES/N64 games in the post using an envelope. Fuck me...

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Oldstyle:

Remove game from case. Wrap in a single layer of bubble wrap, then in a grocery bag (to waterproof). Leave manual in case, light bubble wrap in there to hold it in place. One layer of bubble over the case, and again wrap in grocery baggie. Then put the game case spine facing up, in the priority box, then the game on top of that. If the box bows outward too much padding was used. Any weight on the top of the box will completely crush the case.

Snapcase games:

Basically the same, except you can leave the game in the case. Put a flat layer of bubble under the game, and one over it, or wrap the game in a plastic baggie. Take a piece of cardboard, and wrap it around the whole game case (Captain Crunch cereal boxes work fine), so if it does get crushed , the insert does not get punctured. Do not forget the grocery bag, to waterproof.

RANT:

People literally refuse to sell to you because they are so cheap they can't even take a free priority mail box, and package up stuff right to avoid a eBay refund/partial refund. I don't even ask them to wrap the contents in a plastic bag to waterproof them before packaging. Cause it gets way too confusing then. So basically you have a padded envelope, on your porch, getting rained on while you are at work.

I always thought this was common sense TBH...

I have always sent my AES games this way...

I once got an AES cart... wrapped in 3 pieces of kitchen roll.... in a breakfast cereal box (it rattled... LOTS!)... err.. it was ROTD...

Not to worry... I've already banned him....:D

xROTx

PS. BTW... It was for OTHER things... but that certainly didn't help his cause:p

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
All the old style games I ever bought were shipped with game inside the case with maybe paper towel as padding inside the case. They were all shipped in boxes.

Same with snap locks. Sometimes the game gets padded with bubble wrap or with paper towel and all shipped in boxes.

The only time I ever got a game shipped in a padded envelope was when I bought MVS carts off Ebay.

I recently sold a snap lock game and sent it overseas. 1 piece of bubble wrap under the game and one above. I then used a large ziplock bag to waterproof. I added desiccant packs in the ziplock (i had isolated the desiccant into a corner of the bag and taped up so they dont bounce around). Desiccant was probably overkill, but I figure with a ziplock bag I didn't want to chance having moisture trapped in the bag.

I used a priority box to ship the game but I cut up a second priority box to strengthen the first box. Cut up a piece of cardboard so it sat snug at the bottom of the box. Cut up cardboard and taped to the corners to make the box stiffer and more crush resistant. I used plenty of bubble wrap to wrap the game but also used an USPS padded envelope as padding inside the box as well.

After I shipped off the game I sent pics of how I wrapped the game along with the tracking info. The buyer got the game and is happy.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I ship the cart outside of the box and tray. Fill the tray with bubble wrap and manual so it wont get crushed inside the box.

Yup. You have to put the cart outside or else the tray will crack given the age. Never had to fill the tray since I always ship in a strong box but it's a good idea for the future.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I ship the cart outside of the box and tray. Fill the tray with bubble wrap and manual so it wont get crushed inside the box.

I always sent cart & box separately and was curious about more economical ways to overindulge one's pedantry, so thanks pal, much appreciated!

Not to worry... I've already banned him....:D

xROTx

PS. BTW... It was for OTHER things... but that certainly didn't help his cause:p

Even at the risk of boring you with blatancy, this was delicious. That past week-off culminates in excellent humor. So anyways, I guess Yaton was never a member on these boards ;).

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Good guide for noobs. Shipping AES games is a PITA.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oldstyle:

Snapcase games:

RANT:

Love this post. It should be its own dedicated page on the main site.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Whats the fragility of an AES case vs a Sega CD/Saturn case?

Best packaging I've received was a hard box with bubble wrap lining the inside, and bubble wrap inside the case.

Worst packaging was a manilla envelope all wrapped up in scotch tape. I got to return it because everything was destroyed including the actual disc, looked like somone had stomped on the thing over and over again.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Most games I bought outside country are $100+ and every sellers have great package so I have never seen problem from damage box. Only 2 times in life, the package is lost in delivery and can't find because it's not tracking register.

Good experience from member here to know and find the ways to protect as good as possible.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Great guide, Greedo.

Most of my AES games have busted trays due to exactly this, but at least they are all < $200 games.

As for MVS, slapping the shipping label directly on the kit box is bullshit. It didn't happen to me, but I saw someone on Instagram receive 3 MVS bare carts taped together with packing tape then shipped. Boggles the mind.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Whilst I don't own an AES and the value of most other games don't approach anywhere near that of the Neo I am also at the point of spelling out to all sellers of games I'm interested in bidding/buying to package items I as see fit. For disc based games I always ask for a small piece of bubble wrap to be placed over the disc to prevent it coming lose and getting scratched up in transit, boxed snes games need to come well padded and shipped inside another sturdy box etc.

Even some online retailers will ship you a PS4 just inside a plastic postal bag and nothing more.....