How would a $15 min wage alleviate/create problems?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
All businesses would do is raise prices to match it then drive the value of currency down compared to the rest of the world. Personally think it's not a good idea. Plus the fact workers won't increase productivity with a minimum increase. If they're lazy at $8 a hour, they'll be twice as lazy at $15.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
All businesses would do is raise prices to match it then drive the value of currency down compared to the rest of the world. Personally think it's not a good idea. Plus the fact workers won't increase productivity with a minimum increase. If they're lazy at $8 a hour, they'll be twice as lazy at $15.

This is the absolute truth right there...everything gets passed to the consumers. Minimum wage $7--Value meal $5. Minimum wage $15--Value meal $9. I know my example is just concerning food, but minimum wage job effect damn near everything us commoners do in our day to day life.

Here's a thought...get a different job. I know that is a shitty thing to say, but if you work in a dead end, shit job...well...in some way or another that's your fault.

Either you're too lazy to advance your career, or you made a shit series of life choices that landed you there. It's not our fault you got knocked up at 15, dropped out of high school and now complain because you can't raise 3 kids working part time at Burger King.

The American Dream shouldn't be something for nothing, it should be the ability to change your reality if you're not happy with the one you currently live in.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Damn! That's rough but the truth.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wrong.

House Slave Economists.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wrong. Economists you guys are not.

I guessed you'd be popping in here...

So...enlighten us as to how raising minimum wage to $15 for a part time job would solve any problems. We all know it would raise prices...because this is how the US economy works...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
All businesses would do is raise prices to match it then drive the value of currency down compared to the rest of the world.

You first have to consider the inelasticity of prices. That is, businesses can't increase prices by as much as labor costs. Nor do they have to as consumer buying power increases (because of increasing wages), they can make more money due to increased volume and consumers shifting to more expensive and higher margin goods.

You are also conflating the money supply, consumer price changes and currency exchange rates.

Personally think it's not a good idea. Plus the fact workers won't increase productivity with a minimum increase. If they're lazy at $8 a hour, they'll be twice as lazy at $15.

Actually, productivity will increase. Higher labor costs force increases in productivity. Lazy people will be the first ones to have to shit (increase productivity) or get off the pot (go live with mama-dukes) due to increasing productivity, and more competition (since as the price of labor goes up, the number of workers willing to work goes up).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You first have to consider the inelasticity of prices. That is, businesses can't increase prices by as much as labor costs. Nor do they have to as consumer buying power increases (because of increasing wages), they can make more money due to increased volume and consumers shifting to more expensive and higher margin goods.

You are also conflating the money supply, consumer price changes and currency exchange rates.

Actually, productivity will increase. Higher labor costs force increases in productivity. Lazy people will be the first ones to have to shit (increase productivity) or get off the pot (go live with mama-dukes) due to increasing productivity, and more competition (since as the price of labor goes up, the number of workers willing to work goes up).

*golf-clap*

That is exactly what I thought you'd say. Well trained and regurgitated response.

First off...LOL@ your idea that a minimum wage, part time employee will work harder for more $$...give me a fucking break. Even if employer demand goes up...it's still the league minimum and no matter who fills those shoes, the performance will be the same. Those with actual drive do not make minimum wage for long...they never do.

Second...if you do not think that companies will not hide behind that as a reason to raise their prices...you are rather foolish. In this economy, large companies use any reason they can to raise prices...and do it often.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I guessed you'd be popping in here...

So...enlighten us as to how raising minimum wage to $15 for a part time job would solve any problems. We all know it would raise prices...because this is how the US economy works...

Ask any producer what is holding them back and they will cite a lack of consumer buying power. Ask any mainstream economist what is holding back the economy, Lack of consumer buying power.

Will prices increase? Of course they will. Will the increase of prices wipe out any gains in wages? Absolutely not.

Price increases are a symptom of healthy economic growth.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Hoo boy, hitting all of the typical lib talking points. The pay increase will have a positive effect for a very short time, as the market will readjust itself (inflation) and then we'll be right back in the same place, with the only final outcome a devalued dollar.

This doesn't hold water. If all jobs start at $15 an hour, who will be fighting for them?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
First off...LOL@ your idea that a minimum wage, part time employee will work harder for more $$...give me a fucking break. Even if employer demand goes up...it's still the league minimum and no matter who fills those shoes, the performance will be the same. Those with actual drive do not make minimum wage for long...they never do

Define drive.

I know lots of hard working people working shitty job for near minimum wage. Some of them have IQ's in the 60's.

Second...if you do not think that companies will not hide behind that as a reason to raise their prices...you are rather foolish. In this economy, large companies use any reason they can to raise prices...and do it often.
Not if they want to decrease sales they won't. First, they will revaluate workflow and productivity. Second, they will cut the fat. Third, they will find other ways to decrease costs. Fourth, they will consider higher margin products and marketing. Then, they might raise prices.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
for the first time in years, professionals are quitting their steady jobs to get better paying jobs because the economy is allowing such to happen. People aren't tethered to their poor jobs.

I don't think we need to increase the wage, but the government should recognize that the poverty level is not a line at which people can survive. The poverty line should be renamed the endangered life line, and we need to shift the poverty level way up. As an attorney, there's a massive grey area between clients who can pay and clients who cannot, and get raped in court. Clients need to make less than the poverty level in order to qualify for government legal assistance. That means a woman who got knocked up at 15, before she could be held accountable for her shitty decision making, by some unaccounted for pedophile 20 year old, who 6 years later decides to date a girl with a better figure and no kids, leaving his baby momma with no education and a shit job to pay for her own legal counsel in a divorce - simply put, she's going in pro-se, and losing. And that's all because we have a ridiculous perception of what poverty is, and it's applied without a good understand of the cost of living for each area.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hoo boy, hitting all of the typical lib talking points. The pay increase will have a positive effect for a very short time, as the market will readjust itself (inflation) and then we'll be right back in the same place, with the only final outcome a devalued dollar.

Economic growth does not devalue the dollar. As if a "devalued" dollar is such a bad thing (unless you have a mattress full of cash or are a bankster).

This doesn't hold water. If all jobs start at $15 an hour, who will be fighting for them?

Basic supply and demand.

Retirees, Students, Housewives, People with one job looking to pick up extra income, people looking to pick up extra hours at the same job.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Define drive.

I know lots of hard working people working shitty job for near minimum wage. Some of them have IQ's in the 60's.

You hang around retards a lot? Makes sense now.

By the way, if they have IQ's that low they qualify to be taken care of by the state via disability, so they don't even need a wage increase.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
lol @ thinking costs won't go up.

If I'm forced to pay a laborer $15 an hour - those costs are getting passed on to the client.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
By the way, if they have IQ's that low they qualify to be taken care of by the state via disability

Not in the mid-high 60's. In that range, you need a secondary disability (physical or mental) in order to get free money.

Trust me, I've worked on a case where Social Security told a person that they were not mentally capable to handle their own money, but were capable of working.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Economic growth does not devalue the dollar. As if a "devalued" dollar is such a bad thing (unless you have a mattress full of cash or are a bankster).

We get the vast majority of our goods overseas, homeboy. A devalued dollar means we can't get as far in trade with other countries, widening our trade deficit even further.

Funny how you come in saying we aren't economists, and you're the biggest armchair economist of us all. :oh_no:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
lol @ thinking costs won't go up.

If I'm forced to pay a laborer $15 an hour - those costs are getting passed on to the client.

There are some prices that will go up, but some will not. For example, is gas goes up, people will still buy it. Maybe people will seek other means of transportation, but gas is inelastic in demand.

But then other items will not enjoy that same price benefit, such as restaurants, where if the cost goes up, people will stop going. This would be known as an elastic demand.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
It will shutdown down thousands of McDonalds and Carl's Jr. fast food joints alleviating the obesity epidemic

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Define drive.

I am fully aware that this is a calloused thing to say...but I don't care. It's not my lot in life to pay more for shit so a simpleton can get paid more to do a menial task job.

This is what gets me about the "feel good" people like you...you act as if other people's problems should be taken on by everyone else. I hate to say this...but I don't give a good fuck if someone is retarded, poor, a drug addict, made shit life choices...none of these problems are my problems. I have my own problems and I sure as hell do not get assistance from others in order to take care of them.

Being taxed into oblivion or being forced to pay more for goods and services in order to support these people is not my problem.

To many people like you are more than happy to play Robin Hood..."Oh...you worked your way from nothing and now make a good living by working 60+ hrs a week at two jobs? Here, let me take some of that $$ and give it to Retard-Mike, or Sally 5-kids who will only be able to work at Kroger, stocking shelves."

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Higher prices, tons of layoffs. Market should set the wage.

out of curiosity, how would it?

Mind you we live in a country where restaurants get away with sub minimum wage employment, while fostering near criminal sexual harassment of female employees, and sexual a festering discrimination as under attractive females will often be tipped substantially less than the cuter and flirtier females. While it's cool to have attractive servers, it's not a reason to tip someone more. In fact, it's a fucking stupid reason to pay someone money, unless you are receiving sex in return.