How long will this amiibo craze last?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
apparently the AC party game was made specifically so they could have AC toys. Likely why the game has such low ratings.

""Director Aya Kyogoku stated that the game was conceived as a vehicle for the creation of the first Animal Crossing Amiibo toys...""

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
apparently the AC party game was made specifically so they could have AC toys. Likely why the game has such low ratings.

""Director Aya Kyogoku stated that the game was conceived as a vehicle for the creation of the first Animal Crossing Amiibo toys...""

It's not a bad game. It's just 100% should have been a free to play as long as you buy amiibos to play it with kind of game. It's actually some good fun, but for $50 or so, it's a complete rip off. Even with the two amiibos and three cards it came with. At $25 this game would have been priced about right, meaning, free, with the purchase of two amiibos.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
It is, I got Shovel Knight for the WiiU and had to get the damn amibo to play Co-op...really? I admit some of them are pretty cool, I got PAC-MAN, he's so awesome!

:( I'm of mixed feelings about it. In terms of DLC I do think Amiibo as DLC is a better deal overall since you can actually bring it over a friends house and use it there. But putting Co-Op behind an extra pay wall is sad.

Edit: Shovel Knight OTOH is an awesome game with or without the amiibo (and the amiibo itself looks cool).

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Splatoon: Callie and Marie 2-pack announced (and a new repaint version of the original Splatoon amiibo):
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._join_a_new_splatoon_amiibo_range_on_8th_july

Will the two new characters unlock new missions, or just songs? I've been so far out of the Amiibo news, and have completely gone cold on the idea of picking up more, but I do love Splatoon (and haven't played it in far too long). I'd grab these two for a few new challenge missions for sure. Especially since all Amiibos seem to hit the $5 price these days a few months after release. :D

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Just got the kids the Shovel Knight Amiibo. I have no clue what these things do. All I know is they have a bunch of them, and seem to need them for different things. At Least yarn yoshi came with the damn game. Which is a fun game...

One day one kid was "training" his amiibo. I'm lost.. Why can't they just play the damn games anymore. All this DLC garbage drives me nuts. They had to get certain games as download only, that drives me nuts as well, I like physical copies. I guess I'm just an old guy that is lost with this generation of games. I hope things change soon.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just got the kids the Shovel Knight Amiibo. I have no clue what these things do. All I know is they have a bunch of them, and seem to need them for different things. At Least yarn yoshi came with the damn game. Which is a fun game...

One day one kid was "training" his amiibo. I'm lost.. Why can't they just play the damn games anymore. All this DLC garbage drives me nuts. They had to get certain games as download only, that drives me nuts as well, I like physical copies. I guess I'm just an old guy that is lost with this generation of games. I hope things change soon.

Wow, I hope you're in your fifties or sixties... cause... you sound like it. Otherwise, this is a travesty of a post for a thirty-something-year old. Where'd your youth go, my llama-shaped-friend? Where'd it go?

Maybe your kids found it and are holding it hostage?

I hope so. Let the Amiibo training burn bright in them until their fully beast-like Jigglypuff sings all challengers to sleep.

Sleep well...

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

Some of them can be used with Smash Bros. to be computer opponents you fight, as you do so they level up... its like tamogachi in a way. Then you can take it to a friends house and challenge their friend.

DLC exists because as inflation has devalued currency, costs for making games has gone up, but people expect to only pay $60 for a game, we should be paying around $120 if the retail price stayed pace-to-pace with inflation. Even so, a $60 game in 1995 would take at most a year to make; it now can take 5 years to make a game.

DLC, Collectors Editions, microtransactions are all tricks to get more money out of people.

I suspect once we all get too old for the market to care, you'll be left with mobile gaming, and that in and of itself will implode down to a set of staples, as mobile game development is not sustainable for long term profit. The reason I don't mention pc is because I suspect the generation of kids that grow up on mobile phones... wont view the computer as anything but something they use for work.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Wow, I hope you're in your fifties or sixties... cause... you sound like it. Otherwise, this is a travesty of a post for a thirty-something-year old. Where'd your youth go, my llama-shaped-friend? Where'd it go?

Maybe your kids found it and are holding it hostage?

I hope so. Let the Amiibo training burn bright in them until their fully beast-like Jigglypuff sings all challengers to sleep.

Sleep well...

I'm only 35 :(

Some of them can be used with Smash Bros. to be computer opponents you fight, as you do so they level up... its like tamogachi in a way. Then you can take it to a friends house and challenge their friend.

DLC exists because as inflation has devalued currency, costs for making games has gone up, but people expect to only pay $60 for a game, we should be paying around $120 if the retail price stayed pace-to-pace with inflation. Even so, a $60 game in 1995 would take at most a year to make; it now can take 5 years to make a game.

DLC, Collectors Editions, microtransactions are all tricks to get more money out of people.

I suspect once we all get too old for the market to care, you'll be left with mobile gaming, and that in and of itself will implode down to a set of staples, as mobile game development is not sustainable for long term profit. The reason I don't mention pc is because I suspect the generation of kids that grow up on mobile phones... wont view the computer as anything but something they use for work.

When you put it like that, it's not such a bad thing I suppose. I still want a physical copy of the game. This download only stuff, I can't get behind. It's bad enough laptops don't have CD/DVD drives on them anymore. At what point will all media be downloaded? I know we're close, but it's unsettling. I wouldn't mind paying $120 for a good game, for the shitty ones, no way.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD NEW ZELDA AMIIBO SERIES COMING INCLUDING 8 BIT LINK TOO EXCITED TO POST PICS AHHHHHH

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I thought a Cloud Amiibo was in the pipeline.

A LttP Amiibo woulda been cool.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I really want the 8-bit Link, but let's be honest, I'll probably end up getting all of them. Interesting to find out what function they actually have in BotW.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I said I'd pre-order if they ever made it...

Spoiler:
gvJGE9Z.jpg

Legitimately excited. Hands down my favorite Kart and Golf character.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I sold off my amiibo collection except for 8bit SMB1 style Mario and Mega Man, so you can kind of guess why I'd bother adding a 3rd again and which one as it looks excellent.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
is it just me or does Daisy look fat?

Granted, i am browsing on a Vita right now...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LttP would be awesome.
Have they done any 16bit characters tho?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The latest conspiracy theory I've seen floated on Reddit is that they're probably saving the final 3 Smash Bros Amiibo for when they drop an announcement about a NX port of Super Smash Bros. Wii U.