How far are you from completing YOUR collection?

Discussion/Question:
I'm not a "completest" in my collecting (though it's fine if you are), so my question is this...

How many titles are you away from "completing" YOUR Neo Geo collection and what are they?

I know that we all have different goals with our collecting. For me, I'd like to still grab one of the Stakes Winners and Aero Fighters 2 for MVS, but honestly feel that I have all MY "grail" titles for the system.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Between my legit carts and my 161-in-1, I think I have every Neo-Geo game that I want to play. So I guess I'm done, then.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Done with what I intend to spend money on as far as Neo is related. Will play them until I die, though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i've got a couple more games and a analogue fight stick to get for my cmvs before i consider it finished. and that is until i find a neo arcade cab. then i may resume in buying more games for it.

i've got a couple more games and a analogue fight stick to get for my cmvs before i consider it finished. and that is until i find a neo arcade cab. then i may resume in buying more games for it.

What games? I think the motivation behind the collecting is a neat thing. It's cool to know the how and why people go after what they do, and not after other stuff.

I have Aero Fighters 3, but 2 takes me back to birthday parties as a kid at a local pizza place with a 2-slot :)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
For AES Real Bout 2 is the major one left on my wishlist. I also need to grab KOF '95,96,97 at some point and 2K2 if I can find an affordable copy. I've contemplated a magic key and a multi cart and some point to play the slugs as well but that won't be any time soon. I've pretty much grabbed everything else I want to play.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
gotta grab that legit, mint copy of Chibi Maruko-Chan so I can stroke my collector dick before I'm happy.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
What games? I think the motivation behind the collecting is a neat thing. It's cool to know the how and why people go after what they do, and not after other stuff.

I have Aero Fighters 3, but 2 takes me back to birthday parties as a kid at a local pizza place with a 2-slot :)

lol funny thing is, aero fighters 3 in one of the two games i'm looking for. the other being real bout 1 english mvs cart.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Is a collection ever done? I mean with the odd homebrew coming out a few times a year and the overall price of neo climbing. I will always hope to grab a copy of Knights Chance and Fast Striker etc.

Viewpoint and Waku are the ones I am chasing hard now and both seem to be very tricky to find on MVS. Funnily enough, AES versions are everywhere.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm good with the exception of a few shooters and metal slug 3. I have a 161 to tide me over and prefer a small collection rather than every single game.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I keep saying "one more cart" and I'm done, I'll be happy. But once I obtain the cart I get reminded of another excellent game I want to own. The problem with neo is 90% of the games are actually good games. So it comes down to is my desire to play and own the original cart worth the money?

Right now I want Art of Fighting 3 and Magical Drop 2/3 all are pretty average priced except for maybe AoF3. I'd love to have an SSVS but fuck paying $600+ for one.

Got all the games I desire for now. The carts are big and take up a ton of space. Would like to obtain a Samurai Showdown V Special someday for the MVS as I have the rest but considering that I can play that on my 161-in-1, 150-in-1, 138-in-1, I don't really need it. Looking for a reasonably priced Magician lord though I have the remake on PS3, it is not on the 161-in-1 cart and I want to play it with a Neo Stick on the AES with my converter.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Not counting future indie titles, I have about 10 more games to acquire and then I'll be done. I'm not trying for a complete collection - just want non-bootlegs of the games I personally enjoy. Quality instead of quantity.

I've grabbed most of the common and uncommon titles I want, so now I just have to chip away at the rare and expensive ones as money and opportunity permit.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Only around 10 Neo games I still want:

JP AES: Mutation Nation, Sonic Wings 2, KoF 2003, Art of Fighting 3
Euro NGPC: Dynamite Slugger, Dark Arms, Biomotor Unitron
MVS: Baseball Stars 2, Metal Slug 3,5

Not counting future indie titles, I have about 10 more games to acquire and then I'll be done. I'm not trying for a complete collection - just want non-bootlegs of the games I personally enjoy. Quality instead of quantity.

I've grabbed most of the common and uncommon titles I want, so now I just have to chip away at the rare and expensive ones as money and opportunity permit.

I went the opposite way. For the more expensive stuff, I really wanted Twinkle Star Sprites, Magical Drop III, Metal Slug, Aero Fighters 3, Windjammers, and Blazing Star. Now that I have those, I'm having to circle around and pick up the smaller stuff that catches my eye. Aero Fighters 2, the Pony games (just because they are cute), and maybe one more kind of expensive on in Bust-A-Move again

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
For AES Real Bout 2 is the major one left on my wishlist. I also need to grab KOF '95,96,97 at some point and 2K2 if I can find an affordable copy. I've contemplated a magic key and a multi cart and some point to play the slugs as well but that won't be any time soon. I've pretty much grabbed everything else I want to play.

Does the magic key play Metal Slug X? The store page says it's 99% compatible with all MVS games, which leads me to believe metal slug x might be that incompatible game.

Also, I would wonder how that magic key works if you have a universe bios installed? Because it has one built in.

---

But to the question, I am so close to done. I should have been by now, but I quit for quite a few years. Recently got the itch to go ahead and complete neo geo want list. I'm sitting on about 25 games now, and consider myself almost done. I am going to build 2 awesome custom sticks, and then get the remaining titles.

Blue's Journey
Crossed Swords
Kabuki Klash
KOF 03
Metal Slug 2
Money Puzzle Exchanger
NAM-1975
Neo Turf Masters
Real Bout 1
Shock Troopers
Miracle Adventure
Viewpoint
Windjammers (regret selling recently)

So I guess i'm 2/3 of the way there, but as far as money spent, I already have all the really expensive stuff I want except Viewpoint, and Windjammers I think. I'm actually debating Windjammers, and Twinkle Star Sprites. As great as they are, they really are 2 player games, and the older you get, the less you play 2 player games. So it's doubtful I will pick them up unless I get really lucky and get a good deal.

Does the magic key play Metal Slug X? The store page says it's 99% compatible with all MVS games, which leads me to believe metal slug x might be that incompatible game.

Also, I would wonder how that magic key works if you have a universe bios installed? Because it has one built in.

---

But to the question, I am so close to done. I should have been by now, but I quit for quite a few years. Recently got the itch to go ahead and complete neo geo want list. I'm sitting on about 25 games now, and consider myself almost done. I am going to build 2 awesome custom sticks, and then get the remaining titles.

Blue's Journey
Crossed Swords
Kabuki Klash
KOF 03
Metal Slug 2
Money Puzzle Exchanger
NAM-1975
Neo Turf Masters
Real Bout 1
Shock Troopers
Miracle Adventure
Viewpoint
Windjammers (regret selling recently)

So I guess i'm 2/3 of the way there, but as far as money spent, I already have all the really expensive stuff I want except Viewpoint, and Windjammers I think. I'm actually debating Windjammers, and Twinkle Star Sprites. As great as they are, they really are 2 player games, and the older you get, the less you play 2 player games. So it's doubtful I will pick them up unless I get really lucky and get a good deal.

I am so lucky that my wife digs playing the arcade cab with me. About twice a week, we work our way through the 4-slot competing for house champion or team high score on each game :) That's why Twinkle Star and Windjammers were must-haves for us. I totally get what you are saying though. I probably would touch them without a player 2...especially TSS's cheatin' ass...

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

That is a great question, I am not sure. As for the bios, I am still rocking a stock system for better or worse. Honestly I still have hope for a multicart down the line, that way I wouldn't even worry with a magic key.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
AES: unknown.................may need to get a personal loan to buy up US/EU/JPN libraries
MVS: Viewpoint, SSVS and Pochi & Nyaa
CD: I'm happy with what I have...........done

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
AES: unknown.................may need to get a personal loan to buy up US/EU/JPN libraries
MVS: Viewpoint, SSVS and Pochi & Nyaa
CD: I'm happy with what I have...........done

Still need Metal Slug 1, Samurai Shodown V Special and Kizuna Encounter on AES?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I stopped giving a damn about "completing" a collection years ago.

When you have to own every game, you end up owning a lot of shit games. Said shit games just collect dust, are never played, and ultimately represent a total waste of money.

Owning what you want/play is my idea of having a complete collection.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I stopped giving a damn about "completing" a collection years ago.

When you have to own every game, you end up owning a lot of shit games. Said shit games just collect dust, are never played, and ultimately represent a total waste of money.

Owning what you want/play is my idea of having a complete collection.

Agree. I think there's about approx 35 must own Neo Geo games. Even less if you just pick the absolute best titles in every series. Theres really no reason to own every KOF when youre going to play 98 almost every time. The money spent on the mediocre games could be saved, or spent on great titles on other systems.

Nobway