how do you play a EUROPEAN psx in the usa

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Depends on which psx version you have, on the oldest ones you can just swap discs during boot. Newer ones might need chipping and/or bootdiscs.

Fuzzzy

New Challenger
I got my copy of panzer dragoon saga for 14.99 in the bargen bin at Funcoland ^_^.

chemical

Morden's Lackey
redrum666:
hi what would i need to play a EUROPEAN psx in the us help help help
By PSX you mean the system? There are NTSC/PAL differences, power differences....just go buy a used one for $30.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
You could get a mod chip in your Playstation, but, you have to have knowledge bout' that shit, before you can install it. If ya can, find a place that does it for you. (I did) Or you can buy a PAL Playstation off Ebay. Either one.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
This doesn't make sense at all. You would need a step-up converter as the European PSX wants 220V and in USA you have 110V, I think the cost of it would be around the same of a USA PSX. Not to mention that if you want to use European games you'll need a PAL->NTSC convertor, and if you want to use USA games you'll need a modchip or swap trick installed.

HPMAN

UI resident
Euro PSX will run smooth on 110V, no problem.

The main problem is PAL signal and region for games.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
HPMAN:
Euro PSX will run smooth on 110V, no problem.

The main problem is PAL signal and region for games.
Wow, I didn't know that! I thought all euro consoles accepted only 220V. And you don't need to toggle a switch in the PSU?

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
Fuzzzy:
I got my copy of panzer dragoon saga for 14.99 in the bargen bin at Funcoland ^_^.
what does that have to do with this Topic dum ass shame shame

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: redrum666 ]</small>

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
what i want to know is if i get a pal psx system can i just use the a/v cables or do i need some kind of converter pal/ntsc and if do need a converter do they sell it at like bestbuy

by the i have a bootdisk for the psx but it does not let you play pal games the game comes out in black and white and the screen just keeps on going up and up

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
redrum666:
what i want to know is if i get a pal psx system can i just use the a/v cables or do i need some kind of converter pal/ntsc and if do need a converter do they sell it at like bestbuy

by the i have a bootdisk for the psx but it does not let you play pal games the game comes out in black and white and the screen just keeps on going up and up
Have you read our replies? Why don't you explain a bit more, in correct English, your problem?
I understand you have a PAL game, and you've managed to boot it in your USA PSX, but you get screen problems due to your TV not supporting the PAL signal your USA PSX outputs due to a PAL game being used. Well, you'll get EXACTLY the same problem if you use a genuine PAL PSX system with that PAL game. What you actually need is a TV compatible with PAL, or a converter that converts that PAL signal into NTSC, which I doubt it's sold in Best Buy. I repeat: don't buy an Euro PSX, get a PAL->NTSC converter.

HPMAN

UI resident
I think the only way is to mod your US system so video output is forced to NTSC.

Converters won't work because the signal outputed is hybrid PAL/NTSC.

Just like Euro systems on which you can't get a color picture via component cable with an NTSC game, EVEN if your TV is NTSC compatible.

The Yaroze is the only PSX customer system to output both PAL & NTSC correctly.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
HPMAN:
I think the only way is to mod your US system so video output is forced to NTSC.

Converters won't work because the signal outputed is hybrid PAL/NTSC.

Just like Euro systems on which you can't get a color picture via component cable with an NTSC game, EVEN if your TV is NTSC compatible.

The Yaroze is the only PSX customer system to output both PAL & NTSC correctly.
It's true, on euro systems you get black & white with a NTSC game on an euro (but NTSC compatible) TV, I learned it the hard way, you have to buy a RGB cable, and you get marvelous picture.

Anyway what do you mean by "hybrid"? In (regular) PSX, the game decides if the video output is PAL or NTSC, so if you use a PAL game, the video out is PAL and a convertor to NTSC should work just OK. In fact I once sent a PAL PSX game to a friend in USA and he managed to make it work OK by using one of those convertors.

HPMAN

UI resident
Amano Jacu:
Anyway what do you mean by "hybrid"? In (regular) PSX, the game decides if the video output is PAL or NTSC, so if you use a PAL game, the video out is PAL and a convertor to NTSC should work just OK. In fact I once sent a PAL PSX game to a friend in USA and he managed to make it work OK by using one of those convertors.
No, you said it yourself, PAL system won't output proper NTSC signal (B&W on NTSC compatible TV).

Anyway MAYBE an US system is able to output proper PAL signal. (so the problem would be an Euro systems only problem). Or maybe later systems were fixed and compatible with both signals.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Yes, but from what I understand (or better, guess :rolleyes: ) from redrum's description, he is willing to use a PAL game and doesn't have (and shouldn't get as that wouldn't help) a PAL PSX, so if his USA PSX is able to output a good PAL signal (as the PAL game tells it to do so), the convertor should work.

That display problem in NTSC mode on a PAL PSX may not have an equivalent the other way round in a NTSC PSX.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
err ... guys ...
i've got a modded pal psx (9002) and don't have to use a rgb cable. just testet it with my japanese copy of ridge racer type 4 and the standard composite (yellow, white & red rca connectors) cable. spock
or would i only need a rgb cable for a us or jp system? i'm officially confused atm.

<small>[ July 22, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: supergoose79 ]</small>

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
supergoose79:
err ... guys ...
i've got a modded pal psx (9002) and don't have to use a rgb cable. just testet it with my japanese copy of ridge racer type 4 and the standard composite (yellow, white & red rca connectors) cable. spock
or would i only need a rgb cable for a us or jp system? i'm officially confused atm.
Oh well, your PSX may be a newer revision, but with mine (bought in 1996), if you used a NTSC game (of course after installing a modchip) with composite it would show crystal clear but b/w in my NTSC/60 Hz compatible Sony TV. By using RGB it showed in colors. Your PSX may be different, but at that time all were like mine.

Anyway you should use a RGB cable, they are dirt cheap and the difference is abismal.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i always used a rgb cable, but i'll have to get a new one, cause my current cable seems to be fucked up. (flickering colors and problems with the sound)

as for b/w :
today i tested the composite cable for the first time and was a bit surprised. :)

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
ok do any you know were i can get a PAL->NTSC converter

by the way thank you for all your help