How can you tell the different versions for shock troopers?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
BBH had a post discussing versions A & B for Shock Troopers.
Big Bear had one Shock Troopers mvs cart with different life bar for each character for sales month ago.

Is there a way to tell either version A or B by looking at serial number or something else?

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Version 1 (Version A)is the shared life bar by all hero group members.I've gathered that all copies with the serial # below 007 is version 1 (Version A) .Any copy 007 and above is version 2 (Version B),the seperate life bar version.
Version 1 comes out of Europe.
BB
Seemingly around 7k.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The p1 roms are marked differently. One is "238-P1" and the other is "238-PG1"

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
BBH had a post discussing versions A & B for Shock Troopers.
Big Bear had one Shock Troopers mvs cart with different life bar for each character for sales month ago.

Is there a way to tell either version A or B by looking at serial number or something else?
I think it's like all Neo Geo MVS games, you can only be 100% certain it's a particular version, by opening up the cart, and looking at the PCB boards. For example, you might have a Fatal Fury label, but Art of Fighting boards inside. Unlikely, but it can happen.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I say: lock joe8 and Liquid Snake in International. All in favor?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Me, no...except for Joe8;)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i didn't even know that there were two versions of shock troopers.it's funny how one thinks they know a lot about a console/company that they have been following for twenty years and finds out stuff like this.i just recently found out that the aes cartridges aren't even held together with screws.what next?.

shock troopers is on my to buy list. i should have my hands on one with in the next couple of months or so.it would be fun to see witch version i receive.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I think it's like all Neo Geo MVS games, you can only be 100% certain it's a particular version, by opening up the cart, and looking at the PCB boards. For example, you might have a Fatal Fury label, but Art of Fighting boards inside. Unlikely, but it can happen.

Or another way to determine which version it is would be to (AEStards, look away) insert the game into the MVS and play it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Or another way to determine which version it is would be to (AEStards, look away) insert the game into the MVS and play it.
Sometimes you have to determine the version, without having the game to actually play it. For example, when you're buying it on ebay. Obviously, if you have the game in your possession, it's easy to determine which version of the game it is, as long as you have the MVS system to play it on.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sometimes you have to determine the version, without having the game to actually play it. For example, when you're buying it on ebay.
I'm not sure I follow this. Can you give additional examples?