How are x-arcade sticks?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I call bullshit.
That's something I got from somebody else, it's not my own idea anyway. I can't verify it myself, as I don't have a Neo cab. But it makes sense that you will play your best game standing up, rather than sitting down. Everyone is different, and you can still play a great game sitting down.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
That's something I got from somebody else, it's not my own idea anyway. I can't verify it myself, as I don't have a Neo cab. But it makes sense that you will play your best game standing up, rather than sitting down. Everyone is different, and you can still play a great game sitting down.

Stupid bitch...

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I actually prefer Japanese candy cabs to American woodies for many reasons... But the biggest one of all, you play sitting down.

I get tired of standing in one spot for long periods of time, I've tried the tall "bar style" stools pulled up to a woodie CP before. Something about my feet not resting on a flat (floor) surface makes me feel unstable. Tall stools with back support are even worse, as this encourages sitting/leaning back and makes for some sloppy stick handling.

I seem to play equally as well sitting on the edge of my sofa with the coffee table pulled up close and my Madcatz stick resting securely in front of me, as I do sitting on my JPN Taito game stool pulled up to my Blast City CP.

Of course everyone has a preference, I'm only sharing my personal experiences/play style.

To get back to the original topic, like everyone who has used one is saying... The PCB inside the X-Arcade driving the input isn't good, the body is cheap pressed fiberboard not even high quality MDF, the buttons/sticks are not made by Suzo/Happ but are infact clones made by X-Arcade themselves (Madcatz is also guilty of this on the lesser SE model sticks, but not the TE).

Even if you replaced the PCB inside, replaced the stick/buttons with real Suzo/Happ parts... You would still be stuck with that body, and honestly why go thru all of that time/money when you could just get a good quality stick to start with.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I picked one up for free by getting a bunch of giftcards through swagbucks a few years back. I've used it maybe a handful of times. Like others have said, the joystick is mushy, the buttons are terrible, and the encoder just sucks ass. I'd love to gut it and start anew, but even the body isn't worth saving at this point.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
That's honestly been my gut reaction up until today too. How bad are they? The weird bat top on the stick is the most visibly cringe-worthy piece I can see. I suppose there's also the potential for the usb encoder to be utter crap too--now that'd be a deal-breaker.

Still parts of it look darn nice. The case seems to be mdf, I've looked at other videos and see that standard connectors are running to the switches, so easy to swap stuff out. User service doesn't void the warranty, which is nice too.

Case is MDF, yes. I don't know any better, I mean I have no other stick (apart of a Famicom one) so for my use (USB) works fine.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Case is MDF, yes. I don't know any better, I mean I have no other stick (apart of a Famicom one) so for my use (USB) works fine.

IDK if they have changed the design as its been at least 10 years since I've owned one... But only the top control panel is MDF, the bottom/sides are thin pressed fiber/particle board.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
They're crap in any domain.
The only positivity I can find about it is that it can use most button layouts.

You can both use a normal Capcom 6 o Neo Geo 4 without having to run through the
mess of changing quick disconnects.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Simply put, the one I got was a piece of shit and I don't regret selling it off for a real Hori made or Madcatz stick. Keep in mind that this was back in 2000 before Madcatz upped their quality and Hori Real Arcade Pro's cost an arm and a leg to import from Japan. I thought it was great that when you bought it you got the PC and two consoles of your choice for adapters. The PC one would constantly screw up and wouldn't read the inputs correct. The Game Cube one I got never worked. I tried emailing X-Arcade and they never replied back to me. On the PS2 the lag was terrible. I usually don't notice much input delay but playing games like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution you really could notice it.

Now you're much better off buying a cheap Madcatz pro stick and swapping out the parts if you prefer American style buttons and bat tops. The quality is much better compared to X-Arcades. It still puzzles the hell out of me why so many people keep buying that shit. I friggen hate it when somebody dolls up a cab and slabs an ugly black tank stick on the top of it and they leave it like that. It's ugly and it looks fucking lazy.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Okay, okay. I'm successfully scared off. I've spent the last few days looking at other sticks.
At first I was looking at the madcatz arcade fightstick pro, then I started looking more at the qanba q2 for its cheesy glowy goodness. Black Friday is coming, so I'll see what's what then. I'll probably be able to get one of those two for $100 somewhere. It's more than I wanted to spend, but they're a lot less than other sticks, and the general vibe I get of their quality is considerably better. Best of all they don't display a foot tall logo or an anime character.

I've never had an asian-style stick (not counting low-end-hori and neo ones), so this will be something.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
A while back I did some service on an X-Arcade double stick for a local convention, replacing some damaged sticks and buttons with HAPP superjoysticks and competition buttons.

1) The microswitches and quick disconnects are not the same width as standard cherry microswitches. To replace the joystick with an off-the-shelf HAPP stick, you need to swap the microswitches or rewire the thing to different quick disconnects.

2) The carriage bolts are also not the same width as the parts I have for other woody control panels. I think I ended up finding some matching sized regular bolts since I didn't think the con would care (I was right).

3) Don't try to use the bottom screw from a standard HAPP pushbutton on an X-arcade pushbutton. It won't fit right, then get stuck. Very very bad.

3) Despite looking roomy on the surface, inside is actually very cramped on the edges. I couldn't disconnect the joystick wires right next to the wall without removing the entire stick.

So basically, even though the X-Arcade is supposedly "like HAPP parts", they've done pretty much everything they can to make it not plug-and-play with HAPP parts.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, okay. I'm successfully scared off. I've spent the last few days looking at other sticks.
At first I was looking at the madcatz arcade fightstick pro, then I started looking more at the qanba q2 for its cheesy glowy goodness. Black Friday is coming, so I'll see what's what then. I'll probably be able to get one of those two for $100 somewhere. It's more than I wanted to spend, but they're a lot less than other sticks, and the general vibe I get of their quality is considerably better. Best of all they don't display a foot tall logo or an anime character.

I've never had an asian-style stick (not counting low-end-hori and neo ones), so this will be something.

I have a qanba stick, much better than x-arcade and well worth the price difference.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
So basically, even though the X-Arcade is supposedly "like HAPP parts", they've done pretty much everything they can to make it not plug-and-play with HAPP parts.
maybe so you have to rely on them to refurbish their sticks, because for everyone else it would just be too annoying. Or so you can't drop their parts into cabs? Then again, I don't belive there are many people who play their sticks until they wear out or any arcade machine owner who would want to use their parts...

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

You clearly haven´t heard of...

Japanese candy cabs

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I have a qanba stick, much better than x-arcade and well worth the price difference.

I have 2 qanba sticks. They're the best sticks I ever bought. I even put a sanwa 8 way gate in them. Since I'm mostly a pc gamer at this point, I'm hoping I'll never have to buy another one as long as they don't disintegrate.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
This isn't the war room. So fuck off.

eat a sack of babby dicks,

Stupid bitch...

I'm about to sell off a few of my sticks.
Let me know if you'd be interested in coming to have a look.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Stake out Craigslist or local fighting game community Facebook groups for a cheap used 360 TE stick, they're out there. Don't get PS3 because their PCB (encoder) doesn't work with most PCs.

Also the "weird battop" is a Happ Super 8 Way imitation, I'm a bit offended almost as I find them (the actual Happ parts) very comfortable lol

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
This isn't the war room. So fuck off.

Practice what you preach!

Stupid bitch...

Excellent summation of her.

I need to start looking for a decent ps2 stick, preferably in the wild, but I'm not in a big rush. Other than JoeAnus's posts, this thread is helpful!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Looks solid.. but not a good buy. definitely stay away.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Stake out Craigslist or local fighting game community Facebook groups for a cheap used 360 TE stick, they're out there. Don't get PS3 because their PCB (encoder) doesn't work with most PCs.

I've heard that about the TE's, but from what I'm seeing I should be good on PC with the madcatz PS3 Fightstick Pro. I've pretty well decided on that one. There seems to be two distinct size/weight classes of arcade stick, those sitting at 5-6 lbs and those at 10-12. Since I intend to use it on my lap for shmups, 12lbs is starting to sound too heavy. I suppose the q1 is also about 5 lbs, but the madcatz has a bit more style, IMO.

I'm about to sell off a few of my sticks.
Let me know if you'd be interested in coming to have a look.

Thanks but I'm good. I'm kind of picky about the art on most sticks, and have already selected the one I want. It's only $99 shipped at amazon any time I want it, but mad catz has a history of deep black friday discounts. I'll bet I can get it for $79.99 shipped. Google says that it went that low during evo.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I got a black TE for $60 last black Friday.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You clearly haven´t heard of...
Yes, I was aware there are sit down cabs. But the majority of cabs are stand-up, and there's probably a reason for that.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes, I was aware there are sit down cabs. But the majority of cabs are stand-up, and there's probably a reason for that.

Yeah, saves floorspace. Nothing more.

I also game better sitting down... it's easier to concentrate.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza

Here in Spain, like say 99.99% are/were stand up wooden cabinets. Dedicated driving etc. aside. I've always liked very much to play standing up in machines like this (picture not mine):

m7qm1d.jpg

But I undoubtely recognize the convenience and beauty of a candy cabinet and I definately changed my mind on wich kind of cabinet I want.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm glad I read this thread, because I was tempted to get the Solo. I was mostly interested because of the large compatibility.

I guess I'll just stick with my HRAP V3-SA for PS3/PC, TvC stick for Wii, and a Horipad EX2 for 360.

Thanks for the heads up dudes.