House of the Dead 2 for Wii - how acurate a conversion is it

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
port/conversion.
I was playing it the other day, and I can't remember how the arcade/DC version looked compared to it, even though I used to play the shit out of it.
I know it's a bit of a nerdy question.
thing is the DC version I imagine is very close to the arcade because of the hardware, so I'm wondering what's going on here.
from the little I played there seems to be a little less blood, it seems a little thin on the ground - but I could be wrong.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Isn't it relative to how you calibrate your controller? I haven't compared it to the dc, but it doesn't feel like it matters since that as well as most other shooters have a reticle for your target. The lack of that was one thing I couldn't stand about Namco guncon games.

The Wii is so good for on rail shooters like hotd and re.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I've played a good amount of both the Dreamcast port and the Wii port and don't recall too big a difference between the two, as far as the gore goes most of the modern HotD ports have an option in the settings to change the amount of gore and the blood color (I always set it to excessive gore)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
unlike the saturn, the dc's graphics weren't hard to port,convert or emulate on other consoles. never played the wii version, but i can't imagine it being any different.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Hard to tell, because I bought it when I discovered that my "new" crt didn't support the light gun, so I wasn't able to make a straight comparison.

Anyway, I was satisfied from that port, never felt that I was missing something and it was also a cheap pick up.

But most importantly, did you take HotD Overkill? For me, it's the Wii Killer App (but I don't have a PS3...).

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have HOTD2 for the Wii. Haven't played it in awhile but don't recall any differences compared to the dc. Also have overkill.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
damn, sounds like I have to pick up overkill. since it isn't an arcade game in origin and I doubt it's japanese, I kind of have been a bit wary.
the RE zapper games for the Wii are surprisingly fun.
yeah it's a great machine in this area, wish more quality titles had been brought out in this genre

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The wii is a nice system for rail shooters. I wish they had a new way to play Lethal Enforcers and Virtua Cop series.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
damn, sounds like I have to pick up overkill. since it isn't an arcade game in origin and I doubt it's japanese, I kind of have been a bit wary.

Don't be. Overkill is every bit an arcade-style light gun game, and a damn good one at that. The excessive vulgarity paired with the B-grade horror movie vibe and campy dialogue are just the cherry on top. Get it, it's got to be dirt cheap by now.

+1 for Dead Space Extraction too. Another awesome light gun game for the Wii

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wii has a few nice shooters, also...if you enjoyed the RE games you should check Sin & Punishment Star Succesor, sequel to N64 sin and punishment which is in VC (still working). Incidentally, the wii can produce 240p for emulation, it reproduces NES, SNES, PCE, MD very well on a crt component, the results are excellent and them controllers aren't half bad either. Also the Tatsunoko vs Capcom MC sticks is relatively cheap, easy to mod and quality base if you're looking for a stick.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
How do you guys find the light guns to be with the sensors you mount to your LED/LCD TV on the Wii? The couple times I tried it (briefly, at a friends house, while drinking lol) I didn't think it was as accurate as a good old light gun on a CRT. I have HoTD 3 for Xbox (with unlockable HoTD 2) and absolutely love playing it on my CRT (even while drinking ;)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
How do you guys find the light guns to be with the sensors you mount to your LED/LCD TV on the Wii? The couple times I tried it (briefly, at a friends house, while drinking lol) I didn't think it was as accurate as a good old light gun on a CRT. I have HoTD 3 for Xbox (with unlockable HoTD 2) and absolutely love playing it on my CRT (even while drinking ;)

I don't know how accurate you need to be since you see the pointer on the screen and you could see were your aiming. I have a few rail shooters for the wii and never had a issue aiming unless your shitfaced of course.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
accurate enough, my only gripe is the crosshair is always there but you sorta need it for the zapper games mostly

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
You can turn off the crosshairs in The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
accurate enough, my only gripe is the crosshair is always there but you sorta need it for the zapper games mostly

Maybe that's what I didn't like about it. It's been a while but I don't think any of the actual light gun games I have (like the type you need a CRT to play) show crosshairs on the screen (which is kinda cheating! To me it's all about accurately aiming! not placing a visible cursor over a bad guy/monster and hitting a button).

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Don't be. Overkill is every bit an arcade-style light gun game, and a damn good one at that. The excessive vulgarity paired with the B-grade horror movie vibe and campy dialogue are just the cherry on top. Get it, it's got to be dirt cheap by now.

+1 for Dead Space Extraction too. Another awesome light gun game for the Wii

YASSS! Let me agree that House of the Dead Overkill is amazing, and anyone with a Wii that enjoys lightgun games should play it. The HotD + Grindhouse theme is perfectly done and it is a shitload of fun to play with two people who are drinking.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Wii has a few nice shooters, also...if you enjoyed the RE games you should check Sin & Punishment Star Succesor, sequel to N64 sin and punishment which is in VC (still working). Incidentally, the wii can produce 240p for emulation, it reproduces NES, SNES, PCE, MD very well on a crt component, the results are excellent and them controllers aren't half bad either. Also the Tatsunoko vs Capcom MC sticks is relatively cheap, easy to mod and quality base if you're looking for a stick.

excellent. Sin & Punishment is fantastic. and TvC is a lot of fun. the emulation thing I was unnaware of, good stuff

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i love the wii. i always got a dreamcast vibe from it. very underrated imo. besides the motion controls, never really understood the hate for it. i think mario galaxy is the best game in the series since mario jumped to 3d. the new mario bros and dk country returns are awesome games.

twilight princes
skyward sword
smash bros melee
maro kart wii
sin and punishment
maramusa
tenchu shadow assassins
metroid prime 3
xenoblade
tasunoko vs capcom
nights into dreams
epic mickey
silent hill shattered memories
fire emblem: radiant dawn

all amazing games and a reason to own a wii.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
i love the wii. i always got a dreamcast vibe from it. very underrated imo. besides the motion controls, never really understood the hate for it. i think mario galaxy is the best game in the series since mario jumped to 3d. the new mario bros and dk country returns are awesome games.

twilight princes
skyward sword
smash bros melee
maro kart wii
sin and punishment
maramusa
tenchu shadow assassins
metroid prime 3
xenoblade
tasunoko vs capcom
nights into dreams
epic mickey
silent hill shattered memories
fire emblem: radiant dawn

all amazing games and a reason to own a wii.
agreed. to me it's the true successor to the SNES as it saw it's fair share of third party support. to that list you posted I'd add a host of second and third tier games that are definitely worth checking out
Castlevania Judgement
Zack & Wiki
both Kirby games
The Last Story
the various Sonic games
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Mad World

I'm sure I'm missing out quite a few

and also the fact that the system is basically a Gamecube too.

+it's dirt cheap as are most of the games.
good shit

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
g'dammit.
This thread while i'm thinking about selling all my Wii stuff.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
On the fence with Wii sellout too. Dreamcast stuff is a good bit gone so when it's out I have to do it or not. Too many games/systems isn't a good thing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The only thing I truly dislike about the Wii is how quickly I find my controllers to die. I swear they destroy batteries like nothing.

The light gun games are fantastic. HotD, dead space, Sin and punishment, the RE games, they're all outstanding.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Funny how this turned into a I like Wii thread lol.
was just playing Lost in Shadow and it's a great, soothing game.
want to try out Cursed Mountain as it's been well received by many.

edit:
Pandora's Tower is maybe the best game no-one ever mentions. very much Dreamcast era gaming/story telling. excellent

Last edited:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Funny how this turned into a I like Wii thread lol.
was just playing Lost in Shadow and it's a great, soothing game.
want to try out Cursed Mountain as it's been well received by many.

edit:
Pandora's Tower is maybe the best game no-one ever mentions. very much Dreamcast era gaming/story telling. excellent

imo Wii is nintendo's greatest console, fantastic games and Cursed mountain is fantastic