Hori Neo Geo II stick not working properly.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I bought a Hori Stick II that I got from Japan today. The buttons don't work but the stick does. I did a continuity test and got readings except for pin 12. I opened the stick and resoldered the buttons and nothing changed. I plan to buy new buttons, but I want to make sure I can fix this first so I don't spend money on new buttons when there is something wrong.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Check if the stick is getting 5v when it's connected to the powered on console. Just about every controller needs the 5v rail for the buttons except for the original Neo sticks.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Check if the stick is getting 5v when it's connected to the powered on console. Just about every controller needs the 5v rail for the buttons except for the original Neo sticks.
I checked the voltage. I am getting 4.60 when multimeter is on the hori pcb. I then checked it from the controller port of the AES itself and 4.60. I then checked each button on the hori pcb and I get 3.10. I have 2 power supplies one is 5w 3A and the other 5w 2.5A. One of them I purchased from retro game supply. I did see about the triad psu's but I am unsure where to go from here at the moment. My stick is still apart so if I decided to get the buttons, I can do it in one shot. I wish they sold buttons with the microswitch that fit this style of stick. But yeah, those are my findings. Any advice?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sounds like you're okay with power on pin 8 then.

You should be able to short the button connections to test the wiring is okay, so you can confirm the buttons are the problem.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Sounds like you're okay with power on pin 8 then.

You should be able to short the button connections to test the wiring is okay, so you can confirm the buttons are the problem.
I tried to open the controller port shell on the hori but it was near impossible. I was curious to see if there was any oxidation inside. I have a similar issue with a virtual boy I bought recently. I decided to risk it and buy new seimitsu buttons and hopefully get something working. If not, once I refurbish it, I may just resell it and recoup the costs a bit.