Home Mode: Which Games have Limited Credits/Continues?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Hey Guys,

I'd love to see a complete list of all MVS/AES games which shows which games have limited continues in Home Mode and which are unlimited.

Is there such a list?

I've search but with no luck. I even found a broken link to this forum that might have the answer but... like I said, it's broken:

"AES version "continues" [Archive] - Neo-Geo Forums

www.neo-geo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-187330.html

Sep 7, 2008 - 18 posts - ‎9 authors
When I owned the NeoGeo back in 90/91, I seem to remember games like Nam75 having infinite continues (until the end boss anyway)."

I've recently purchased the UniBios for my Big Red and when it arrives I want to put my MVS into Home Mode so that my buddies can walk up and just play without fussing with the coin-slots and to ensure they will be forced to really play instead of waltzing their way right to the end. I want them to suffer and remember what it was like to play a real arcade game :D

From other posts I get the impression that it's only older Neo Geo games that have unlimited continues in Home Mode.
Personally I know that both Cyber-Lip and Magician Lord have unlimited continues.

But I'd really like to know this for all games.

TIA!

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I've got a bunch of JP aes carts, and they all give you 4 credits only. None of the games I've got have unlimited credits. That includes:

King of Fighters 94-2002
All 3 real bout games
Double Dragon
Fighters History Dynamite
Thrash Rally
World Heroes 2 / jet
Last Blade
Joy Joy Kid

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Ninja Combat has unlimited continues in Home mode. That might be one of the only ones. Every other game I have is limited.

What you need is a memory card. Although you'll lose your high score, you can use it to continue when all your credits are gone.

Or you can swap to player 2, which works in most games.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ninja Combat has unlimited continues in Home mode. That might be one of the only ones. Every other game I have is limited.

What you need is a memory card. Although you'll lose your high score, you can use it to continue when all your credits are gone.

Or you can swap to player 2, which works in most games.

You can save the high score if using UniBIOS 3.1 or higher. Also, Strikers 1945+ has infinite continues on AES mode. All the Slugs and KoF have 4 continues in AES mode IIRC. Same for Samurai Shodowns and Garou, I think.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Thanks guys! Maybe there is no list out there but this is a good start.

When first writing this post I forgot that my wife and I played Sengoku (AES) and never ran out of credits.
So there is that one too.

Right here on the forums I also read about some games having differences in how they continue. I've read there is a version of Magician Lord that respawns exactly where he died and another version that uses check-points. I don't know if one version has limited credits or if they are both unlimited.

Unlimited continues with check points will still leave some challenge but I still prefer limited credits.

Most of the time I'll only really want to put in games into my Big Red that have limited continues. Fortunately it feels like most games operate this way.

Games with unlimited continues in AES mode:

Cyber-Lip
Magician Lord
Ninja Combat
Sengoku
Strikers 1945+

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Right here on the forums I also read about some games having differences in how they continue. I've read there is a version of Magician Lord that respawns exactly where he died and another version that uses check-points. I don't know if one version has limited credits or if they are both unlimited.

I have them both, (one AES, the other MVS) and both have infinite continues. However I think that's a feature, because the damn game is so hard it would be kind of impossible without infinite continues LOL.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You can save the high score if using UniBIOS 3.1 or higher.

Well yes, but I was describing bypass methods using a stock BIOS and any available accessories.

Also, Strikers 1945+ has infinite continues on AES mode.

Which is funny because it was never officially released on AES.