Holy sh*tballs! Spriggan Mark 2 is gewd!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Cd_ee51.jpg

Just played through it tonight [got it for xmas]. The last boss was workin' my tit a little bit but the visuals, cut scenes and weapons = badass.

Seriously, one of the better console shooters I've played in AGES.

Viva Compile! :buttrock:

Last edited:

Marc_

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, gotta have love for Compile, along with Cave, Taito and Naxat, my favourite programming team. I have never played Spriggan 2 but have a lot of time for the original. Seems people are split on Spriggan 2 from reviews I have read in the past.
Spriggan 2 is on SNES isn't it?

Xanac 2 on PS1 by Compile, I wish I owned it!!!!!
When it was first released it was reasonably priced now its RS prices. :confused:
From what I gather this is the high point of shmups on PS1, not my fave console but well supported in the shmup department, R-type Delta.........CLASS!!!!!

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Love that game. No more engine though. Just Spriggan Powered on SFC. Not the same thing.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
alec said:
Love that game. No more engine though. Just Spriggan Powered on SFC. Not the same thing.

also not developed by Compile if I'm correct

Marc_

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ahhh, Spriggan Powered is the Nintendo iteration, getting my spriggans mixed up.

As for PCE being the best console for shmups , I think it ties with the Saturn for the top spot can't pick between them, both have great shooters, loads of quality titles. I started collecting/playing Saturn then went back to PCE, some do it the other way round.
Both consoles together form the ultimate console shooter library.

Neo Geo is coming in 2nd, not on quality but quantity, and MD 3rd, on quantity not quality.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Saturn for the ports

PCE for originals

Marc_

Kuroko's Training Dummy
pixeljunkie said:
Saturn for the ports

PCE for originals

Yeah, I mostly agree with that, although the Saturn-STV board ports were spot on!!!!
Garegga, Souky, RS.....would you consider them ports even, as the Saturn was very similar to the STV?

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
also not developed by Compile if I'm correct
from the gameplay I would think thats correct. All I see on the box is Naxatsoft. Fun game though.

Compile is the bomb diggity.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Marc_ said:
would you consider them ports even, as the Saturn was very similar to the STV?

yeah, but VERY good ones. Same as Naomi-->DC

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Thanks for reminding me to boot up my copy of Spriggan Mark 2 and the duo-r, been neglecting it lately. Did you get your game through D-Lite? I remember you had a thread up asking for his game and D-Lite recently had 2 up for sale (I took one of them).

D-Lite = PCE God. 90% of my stuff's from him.

nat

n00b
I bought one from D-Lite recently. It's an alright game, but there are better shooters on the Turbo. It's a little on the easy side.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Marc_ said:
Yeah, I mostly agree with that, although the Saturn-STV board ports were spot on!!!!
Garegga, Souky, RS.....would you consider them ports even, as the Saturn was very similar to the STV?

Battle Garegga was not ST-V. But the Saturn port is prett damn good.

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Marc_ said:

I consider Saturn versions of ST-V / STV-Titan arcade games TO BE ports BECAUSE the Saturn and ST-V shared the same architecture.

Much like PlayStation and Namco's System11 board, or Dreamcast / NAOMI.

The only major differences between System11, NAOMI and their PS1, Dreamcast counterparts were the amount of RAM, and the media, arcade used solid state ROMs instead of CD-ROM. The ST-V had the same amount of RAM as Saturn.

Others may disagree, but I consider a port to be the original game taken over to another system with absolutely minimal changes. All the graphics, gameplay and sound remains basicly the same.

i.e. Tekken on PlayStation.

A translation or conversion would be a that is changed / downgraded in graphics/sound/gameplay signficiantly from the original source to suit another platform i.e. Street Fighter II on SNES.

An "adaption" would be a game that is almost totally different from the original, whether it's downgraded or upgraded.

i.e. Super Thunder Blade on Genesis is an adaption of the arcade. Not only is it downgraded from the original it's also very much changed. It's actually a new game.

i.e. an adaption that's an upgrade: The 1985 arcade version of Choplifter is an upgraded adaption of the original 1982 Apple II computer game.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
this thread is about Spriggan 2.

shut the fuck up

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
AirRaid please go back to the war room and just stay there.

barf

Maxima's Barber
I love the game as well. One of my favourites with Air Zonk and Coryoon.

quoth09

War Room Troll
I've been very reluctant to pick this up, because it sells for more than I care to drop on something I am wary about. Part 1 is beautiful (and it's not even a SUPER CD GAME!), but part 2 I have heard from several reviews and opinions, that the game plays like Cybernator on SNES.

Anyone care to comment?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
quoth09 said:
I've been very reluctant to pick this up, because it sells for more than I care to drop on something I am wary about. Part 1 is beautiful (and it's not even a SUPER CD GAME!), but part 2 I have heard from several reviews and opinions, that the game plays like Cybernator on SNES.

Anyone care to comment?

I don't think it plays like Cybernator AT ALL, except for the few straight shmup, forced scrolling parts in Cybernator. It honestly plays like a typical hori shmup. It breaks the action constantly with cutscenes and dialogue, but that can be turned off, so its even more standard. It has some of the best GFX on the duo in spots. Music is top notch and the weapons system is badass and very integral to finishing the game. I was hesistant to drop more than $50 on it as well. But, it's one I wish I had gotten sooner. You will not be disappointed.