here's a good question...

jimc787

n00b
to start i don't really know if it's ok to talk about this on here and i'm not a boot legger at all really( not when it comes to neo), but this is quite the question. bear(?) with me.

Ok i have no idea how they bootleg these things but i was wondering if this might actually work. ever open a mvs cart and the roms are labeled v1,2.3 , p1,2 etc... and so on. now when you download a mame rom they are all labeld in the same fashion. so the grand question is if you take a rom burner and stick the files from the mame rom/ neo ragex file on them; then soldered them into the cart would the game play on the neo? we were going to try this at work and socket the ic's to see if we could swap them from the cart to play different games on our lunch. if anyone has tried this before can you let me know before i destroy a perfectly good cart. any help would be cool because fatal fury 2 is getting boring after playing it for months.
thanks

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
In your post you are admitting you want to download and burn roms, so that makes you a bootlegger. Just buy the friggin game and play it. Also bootlegging on any console is frowned upon, no matter what you use it for. Its one thing to backup your investment, its another thing to rape the video game community. Shame on you!

jimc787

n00b
xmods said:
In your post you are admitting you want to download and burn roms, so that makes you a bootlegger. Just buy the friggin game and play it. Also bootlegging on any console is frowned upon, no matter what you use it for. Its one thing to backup your investment, its another thing to rape the video game community. Shame on you!

ok you misunderstood that. we have one shitty ass old mvs cart at work. i was trying to see if it was possible to do that. another thing is that if it was possible then we could mess with the game and do things to it somehow. basically turn it homebrew in a way. so do you get what i'm working at? kind of like swapping roms on the board and mixing it up to see what we get. like ffspecial is a basically updated version of ff2. they only updated it technically.

jimc787

n00b
plus on another note. don't you think it might be kind of fun to mix roms from let's say ms1 with a ms2 just to see might happen. it could be quite interesting it'll either work or it won't andf if it did it could be quite interesting.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Really just sounds like destroying perfectly good carts. Even emulation is better than that.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Of course you can do what you're asking. Making an illegal duplicate of your illegal duplicate of someone else's illegal duplicate of a legit game board is technically possible, but no one here will help you with that.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
shit no kidding

ive done some reasearch and there is so much just not discused. probly never find certain stuff

jimc787

n00b
to be quite frank i'm really won't be doing anything more than it would be to burn a cd. it's the same thing without the cd. i'm merely just sticking all of it into eproms instead of a cdr. and about just download the rom as someone posted; isn't that the same thing i'll be doing but not a f-ed up pc version of the game. Don't call me a bootlegger. i'm creative:mr_t: .

I won't be destroying any cart. i could desolder the chips erase them, and put them back with the same image on them and youwould never be able to tell. some what llike all of the chips would have to be done to them from what i've heard through the pipeline of " how long will the roms in my cart last?"

so, i was just wondering if this, in theory, would work.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
To experiment, you could always use mame, just rename the rom images from different sets and try it out. If it works in mame it should work on the real hardware. As already stated though it is not just a case of swapping out rom images - there will be jumpers involved.

jimc787

n00b
ttooddddyy said:
To experiment, you could always use mame, just rename the rom images from different sets and try it out. If it works in mame it should work on the real hardware. As already stated though it is not just a case of swapping out rom images - there will be jumpers involved.

true it will be a case of jumpers. i have everything i need though. I even have blank snk roms from old cart repairs that are still good at work if needed. if it is emulated the way i think it is with mame it should be a pretty simple exchange on the roms to even change the cart into something else if i wanted to. but, i think it would be more fun to mix the images of one game with another and see what happens.

jimc787

n00b
my thought of this whole thing is that if you can mess with something and make it do what you want or just to see if you can mess with it in a certain way to see what happens then do it. it's almost like how they mess with the genes of an animal but on the video games side of things. like playing video game god.:make_fac:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Dont forget that certain games need certain PCBs and put sockets.

jimc787

n00b
sorry for late response but, i'm only going to try with the older games so it really shouldn't be a problem just have to wait till i get my burner back at work from the bossman.

spanks_4

n00b
did it ever work? i have no clue how to burn eproms and all that stuff, but would be kool