Help with MVS system and 161 MultiGame Cart.

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi people,

Ive been inactive for a very long time, had a brain accident a few years back and recovery has been extremely hard and long. Please forgive me If Ive posted this in the wrong place.
I can't believe in the time Ive been away how crazy the Neo scene price wise has got!
Ive just bought a Analogue Interactive CMVS, and what a beaut it is! Im going to buy the 161 Multi cart - http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-MVS-cartridge-p/1593.htm I have a few questions Im hoping some-body can help me with. Id like to box the cartridge up and put it into my collection, will the cart fit in a snap clam case - http://www.neostore.com/New-style-clasp-case-snap-lock-for-AES-cartridge-p/1361.htm and is the 161 inlay and cart sticker in the NeoStore http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-AES-alternate-art-p/1348.htm the relevant inlay and sticker for this cart?
I hope someone out there can help and I haven't miffed to many proper off if I've put this in the wrong place!
Tanks in advance!
Matt.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You realize we have a Neo flash cart called the NeoSd ? It plays all Neo Games.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hi people,

Ive been inactive for a very long time, had a brain accident a few years back and recovery has been extremely hard and long. Please forgive me If Ive posted this in the wrong place.
I can't believe in the time Ive been away how crazy the Neo scene price wise has got!
Ive just bought a Analogue Interactive CMVS, and what a beaut it is! Im going to buy the 161 Multi cart - http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-MVS-cartridge-p/1593.htm I have a few questions Im hoping some-body can help me with. Id like to box the cartridge up and put it into my collection, will the cart fit in a snap clam case - http://www.neostore.com/New-style-clasp-case-snap-lock-for-AES-cartridge-p/1361.htm and is the 161 inlay and cart sticker in the NeoStore http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-AES-alternate-art-p/1348.htm the relevant inlay and sticker for this cart?
I hope someone out there can help and I haven't miffed to many proper off if I've put this in the wrong place!
Tanks in advance!
Matt.

1.) I dont think it will fit in that particular snap case since its made for AES games and the 161 Multi cart is for MVS. You can however pick up a nice MVS shockbox from Southtown Homebrew. Their shockboxes are pretty much "THE" shockboxes for MVS carts.

2.) That inlay and cart sticker are for the AES version of the 161-n-1 multi cart. You can probably find a nice inlay for a shockbox at the Southtown Homebrew link from above.

If I can make a recommendation though, I'd highly suggest you skip the "multicart" and go straight for a NeoSD. The multicarts are known to have problems with certain games.

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You realize we have a Neo flash cart called the NeoSd ? It plays all Neo Games.

No I didn't. As I said I've been out of the loop for a few years now, so is the SD card thingy compatible with your standard AES console?

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
RAZ_HOE mention that as well, but again as I said Ive been totally out the loop for a few years. Where can I get one of those from?

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh my days! I didn't even no a thing like this existed! Thanks guys (or girls!) I forgot how much I love this community! going to order one now! :) Out of interest though have any of you had experience with these SD-Carts? And are they/do they work in a similar way to EverDrives? Has it a SD card slot on the top or side? Do I simple download the ROMs of the games I own "drag and drop" the files on to an SD, slot it in and play? Is that how it works?

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the info. As I say on the comment below didn't even know this existed, lost all interest in the multi cart now! :)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Oh my days! I didn't even no a thing like this existed! Thanks guys (or girls!) I forgot how much I love this community! going to order one now! :) Out of interest though have any of you had experience with these SD-Carts? And are they/do they work in a similar way to EverDrives? Has it a SD card slot on the top or side? Do I simple download the ROMs of the games I own "drag and drop" the files on to an SD, slot it in and play? Is that how it works?

Yea they are pretty awesome. Check out some of the reviews on youtube, they will show you how to add games and such aswell. But in a nutshell you have to use a tool provided by the "NeoSD" team to convert the MAME roms into a specific file and then copy that file to the SD card which goes into the side of the cart.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No I didn't. As I said I've been out of the loop for a few years now, so is the SD card thingy compatible with your standard AES console?

Glad we could help. I'm pretty sure you are aware by now since you went to the website but they have both the MVS and Aes version and both fit in the Aes Snap Lock cases that you could purchase from the NeoStore.

Stop in more often and ask more questions. Bunch of good guys on this board that are willing to help out.

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Defiantly will for sure, as I said I totally forgot how awesome this community is! And I haven't been away through choice, but Im back now and my passion for the Neo has exploded! Ive had to literally stare at my AES and CDZ for nearly three years and finally Im able to use it. Im amazed with this SD cart. Cant wait to get it! Thanks guys, appreciate the help! Big love!

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks Niko appreciate you bringing it to my attention I didn't even no such a thing existed! So excited to get one!

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sorry to bother you again RAZ just a quick question hopefully you or Niko can help. I going to buy one of the NeoAES/FlashCarts/EverDrive carts but was wondering and you'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge but just so Ive got it wright in my head, with this cart is it as simple as it seems? I mean as in I buy the Cart, buy an SD card, download the ROMs, drag and drop, SD in to Cart, Cart in to AES, turn on? Now I might seem a total goon but Im just checking it really is this simple because I can't believe it! I hope it is as Im so excited! Also to buy it is it direct from neosdstore or are they for sale on here or other places? Do different places sell them, so is it worth shopping round because prices fluctuate or is the price as is because only they sell them? Hope that makes sense.
Again please forgive my dumbness just making sure.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
I buy the Cart, buy an SD card, download the ROMs, drag and drop, SD in to Cart, Cart in to AES, turn on?
There's an extra step in there - there's a Windows utility the NeoSD creators provide on their site, for converting the zipped romsets to the .neo format that the NeoSD expects. It's a simple enough process if you have the proper MAME-recognized sets, though you can also try to manually convert unrecognized stuff (that's a bit more involved, though, and requires faffing about with a command prompt). Once you have the .neo files, copy those to the MicroSD card, and away you go.

also, note that it is specifically a MicroSD card, not regular SD.

Also to buy it is it direct from neosdstore or are they for sale on here or other places?
I believe there were talks about partnering with another distributer - Stone Age Gamer, I think? I don't know how that's coming along, though; I don't see it on their storefront at present.

Until then, the NeoSD Store is your main option.

Last edited:

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
WNivek - Thank you kindly for you help, I no I may sound dumb asking questions like this but I took a pretty big bump on the head, as a result of forgotten everything so for me, its like having to start from scratch, having to learn everything again so again thanks for the help.
While I have your attention though would like to ask you a few question if you don't mind?
My mistake with the SD/MicroSD thing, buying a MicroSD, say 128GB do you no just roughly how many games that would hold? Or do you recommend a 256GB?
Secondly, How new/in-demand are these carts? I only ask because payday for me is at the end of the month and I defiantly don't want to miss this cart.
Sorry for the questions and all.
Kind regards.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
My mistake with the SD/MicroSD thing, buying a MicroSD, say 128GB do you no just roughly how many games that would hold? Or do you recommend a 256GB?
I would actually recommend something smaller. Although I opted for a 32gb card, a 16gb card would be more than enough to hold all currently-available Neo Geo rom sets. Also, I'm unsure if a card >32gb would work, as from that point on the cards tend to use a different file system (exFAT instead of FAT32).

Secondly, How new/in-demand are these carts? I only ask because payday for me is at the end of the month and I defiantly don't want to miss this cart.
I believe the original round of pre-orders shipped back in November, or thereabouts. As such, I suspect most folks who wanted one would have ordered theirs by now.
The store currently lists them as 'in stock'. Personally, I think they'll still be in stock at the end of the month, but I have no concrete proof one way or the other.

Last edited: