Help with debate *next week Thursday*

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Yeah, so I have this class with ethics and whatnot. I have to do a debate about "violence in the media does NOT create violence in society"

I have to have 6-8 points to bring up but I don't really know where to start. So what are some serious issues that REALLY grind your gears when it comes to this topic.

Thanks in advance :)

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
You know what really grinds my gears?

When people blame violence in the media for violence in society when there was violence before TV, like during the crusades, or when the Roman empire killed people all for the sake of imperialism.

Hope that helps...

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Here's are some points you can make:

Correlation does NOT equal causation: The press often comes up with studies to show that some violent kids were also interested in playing a violent game or watching a violent show. The problem is that these studies never have a way to determine whether it was the kids' innate love of violence which caused them to want to watch violence, or whether watching the violence caused the kids to be violent. They just spin it to sound like the media was causing the problem when the problem may have already existed!

Another issue is how unrealistic a lot of the targetted violent media is. Congressmen will target games like Doom or GTA, but in these games you basically shoot a gun by pressing a single button on a controller. A person would have to do extensive research outside of the popular media to ever learn how to really use and obtain a gun.

Furthermore, anyone who was to actually kill someone or commit some crime based on the media would almost certainly get caught really easily a nd be unable to significantly increase the crime rate. The media rarely shows realistic methods of getting away with crime. The most violent shows are always WAY over the top. You'd probably learn more about how to escape capture watching a mostly non-violent film like Thelma And Louise or something like that than watching something like Kill Bill.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
WOW, those are some very good points...

Thanks a bunch...And to others, keep them heading this way:D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sucks to be you...

I try to argue the opposite of what I belive... It's just that much more fun.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
EMAGDNIM said:
Yeah, so I have this class with ethics and whatnot. I have to do a debate about "violence in the media does NOT create violence in society"
Well, good luck. Because it does.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
norton9478 said:
Sucks to be you...

I try to argue the opposite of what I belive... It's just that much more fun.

Yeah, its usually more fun that way. But I got a paper at random that had this topic in it.

What can ya do...

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
For starters, don't say things like "next week Thursday."