Help w/ Metal Slug 4

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
So I just got my US Slug 4 in today, popped it in and noticed that the violence warning screen was messed up.. screwed with it as far as seating and the problem didn't go away.. so I cleared the backup ram and turned on blood and all that, screen cleared up. NOW however, I have sound issues where sounds are garbled or the sounds just dont play, the game itself will go quiet after you get on the motorcycle.

At this point, I checked the boards, not a boot. Cleaned it with an eraser and looked for cracks in the traces.. nada. Hell, I even switched it into a different shell and it didn't work. At this point, I'm stumped and I don't really feel like sending it back to canada. Any help?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
reinsert the cart a couple of times, it may still have epoxy film on the contacts.

Yes..I agree..Mine had what seemed to be a load of it on it..I had to scotch brite.91% alcohol it off.

Mine came with the boards warping in the case/too tight.. and the case-shell was too fat to fit in my smaller 4 slot mobos top.
I had to mess with the inside of the case/shell to get it to close better/fully..Then it stopped bending the boards ..The boards just would slide into the mobo way too tight causing al kinds of issues especially sound issues.
When got them to hav some wobble in the case and after cleaning them it worked.

That game was a real pain in the butt to get going.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I did the scotch brite thing too, if anything it got WORSE :( i'll grind at it some more and see what happens..

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
bump, still has the same problems, garbled warning screen and faulty sound chip, maybe the audio rom is going out? :<

DSC01381.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure you check the traces around the holes with a multimeter as they get cut quite often on the CHA board from the plastic mounts in the cart. Use the multimeter because often times it looks good but it has a hairline cut.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I'll double check them when I get back in tonight. If it's the case of a reflow or a mask rom replacement, what would a repair cost run for that?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a cut trace it would be neither a reflow or mask replacement. It would be a jumper from point to point.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
If it's a cut trace it would be neither a reflow or mask replacement. It would be a jumper from point to point.

i'm talking on the basis that the trace is intact. For the sake of knowledge for the seller (who i'm going to rip a new one over this) what's the cost of all three repairs seperately

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In that case:

Reflow: You can do for free or get it done for free from someone.
Mask/Eprom Replacement: $10-15 depending on the cost of the chip.
Trace Repair: $5-10?