Headphones

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've been using Sony MDR V6's for the past 15 years. I like them a lot, and I'm so used to them that I don't really like the sound of other headphones. My most recent pair is from 2008. I've had to replace the ear pads and plug, but it is very durable and has withstood a lot of abuse.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
xsq said:
joe8 said:
All these awesome recommendations and this sped is going to end up buying these.
View attachment 34640
You don't have to like that I bought these, they are superior to blablablabla and they have halfassedwannabeknowledgeandconfusion!!!

Hahahaha, so true.

I'd totally buy those just because they look 1990-as-fuck.

I bought a pair of Koss Porta-Pros just to plug them into the headphone jack on my Genesis.

Those look freakin' awesome! What's the sound like?

Last edited:

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Porta-pros sound much better than they have any right to at the price point. They're open, so sound comes though and leaks, but they have a solid frequency response across the board without being too forward in any one area. The bass and sub-bass are very rich for something so cheap and open. Plus, lifetime warranty!

Probably my favorite casual-use headphones that I have ever owned.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Porta-pros sound much better than they have any right to at the price point. They're open, so sound comes though and leaks, but they have a solid frequency response across the board without being too forward in any one area. The bass and sub-bass are very rich for something so cheap and open. Plus, lifetime warranty!

Probably my favorite casual-use headphones that I have ever owned.

What he said. Amazon occasionally drops the price on the Porta-Pros to no-brainer levels (~$30). The look sweet, but they're also quite comfortable and as Andy said sound better than any other similarly-styled headphones around that price. They also fold up into a little ball and come with a pleather bag, so you can chuck them in a backpack without worrying about them being damaged. So they are an excellent alternative for someone looking for portable headphones who doesn't care for ear buds. But as Andy said, they just sit on your ear so they let a ton of noise through compared to either earbuds or full-on cans. So not a good option in noisy environments.

Like I said, I bought them purely to plug into the headphone jack on my Genesis. They've been making those headphones since like 1984, so you just plug these bitches into the Genesis and it's like "Welcome to 1989, mother fucker."

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yeah, thanks for the insight. I need a pair of headphones for when I go running, the Porta-Pros could be it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's good to keep some decent cheap headphones around, non-audiophile devices tend to work better with them than with the pimp headphones we all love. With my old Gameboys and such I usually just use a set of cheap Koss earbuds that I bought for $2 on clearance instead of lugging out the Sennheisers and headphone amp and shit.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's good to keep some decent cheap headphones around, non-audiophile devices tend to work better with them than with the pimp headphones we all love. With my old Gameboys and such I usually just use a set of cheap Koss earbuds that I bought for $2 on clearance instead of lugging out the Sennheisers and headphone amp and shit.

Yup, good point. I'm partial to JVC marshmallows, full isolation and excellent sound for < $20. I got all of mine for $8 clearance because they updated the line constantly, and I was shopping for buds at the right time. They sounded better than my $100 Shure e2c's because they fit my ear canals much better, fully isolating the sound.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
For Monitor Headphones
Sony -MDR7506
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-...27455&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+monitor+headphones

Audio Techinica ATH-M50(red)
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...UTF8&qid=1459527623&sr=8-6&keywords=m50+audio

Wireless Bluetooth music listening
Sony MDR-XB950BT(Blue) These are great for blocking off sound. I put these on when im cleaning the house, i haven't tried these when im mowing or yardwork yet, but these do have good range. The extra base isn't really needed.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950..._UL160_SR115,160_&refRID=0WQ5CJZDT0V5H6ZMQKHB

Its something i really didn't need, but i didn't want to offend my secret santa, so i kept it. Its pretty comfortable & sounded pretty good.
Sony MDRZX770BT
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX770...9554&sr=1-9&keywords=sony+wireless+headphones

My everyday use headphones i use the Sony MDR-XB950 wired. These are probably the most comfortable headphones i've tried on. Look nice too. These are just like the Bluetooth but are lighter & ear muffs just fits my big ears just right. The wires are tangle free too.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950...9529072&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+xb950+headphones

Gaming/TV

Sony Gold for PS4
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-G...1459527958&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+gold+wireless

Works great for a wireless gaming, gets louder then my Wireless H headphone but not as good in the 7.1 surround. I use this when i play SFV & working out while waiting for my matches.

Steelseries Wirelesss H
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-W...&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+steelseries+headset

These sounds great w/ no interference. I tried these on my PS4 & really has awesome surround sound. I mostly use this when im watching TV late at night but i have my PC/TV/Amazon fire/PS3 all hooked up to it to a multi hdmi switch. The best part is that it has an extra battery always charging as thats probably the bane of wireless gaming is having to recharge or hook it up to a stupid dock. Really love this idea. The microphone sounds like a pilot type sound, but its clear according to the peeps i talked with. My negatives is probably the price & sound doesn't get loud enough.

For you guys who have multiple headphones, what do you guys use for a holder/stand?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Neo Ash hooked me up with a set of Beyer Dynamic DT-770i cans for Secret Santa, and I think they're awesome. I don't think they make that exact model anymore, but they make something similar. The only thing I changed is to put velour earpads on them, but that's just a personal preference issue. They're (in my opinion) flat, which is important since I use them when editing my show. There was one episode I did a long time ago where I used my Klipsch in-ear headphones when editing, and I ended up reducing the bass and raising the treble way too much because those earphones are bass-heavy.

Anyway, they're great headphones because literally every part on them is replaceable.

Heck yeah, they are still available.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/beyerdynamic-dt-770-i-headphones

The Beyerdynamic headphone are flat, built well, and are repairable. So, my advice to OP is save up for the best set you can afford, then save a little longer, and go up to the next model. You'll be set for a long time, and will be able to delay the upgrade bug. This is especially true if you go with Beyerdynamic, as literally every part is repairable.

It's good to keep some decent cheap headphones around, non-audiophile devices tend to work better with them than with the pimp headphones we all love.

That's not always the case. The specs have a lot to do with it. That's why I sent Jibbs the "i" version of the 770. They are very easy to power and work well with a wide range of devices from cell phones to game consoles. They're a badass set of cans for the money spent.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's all about matching impedance ratings with device output, naturally, but I'm not buying yet another set of expensive headphones for my Gameboy Color.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's all about matching impedance ratings with device output, naturally, but I'm not buying yet another set of expensive headphones for my Gameboy Color.

I haven't tried the 770's with a Game Boy Color yet, but the 3DO sounds pretty badass through them. Plugged those bitches right into the headphone jack on the controller.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been playing Dragon Warrior 3 tonight, and it has pretty badass music. Perhaps I should reconsider.

mcjefe

n00b
I use a pair of Beyer DT770 Pro's and I love them. Once I picked those up I gave my old 7506's to my wife to use on her computer while studying.

I work for Guitar Center Professional and have been in the pro audio industry for going on 16 years. Let me know if you have any questions about gear like this.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
These last few posts are making me miss my DT770s. I lost them 8 years ago when I moved. They were really fun headphones.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
My cans:

70539ae1e0935d4d48fd1f30b36bbdb1.jpg

I've since replaced the headband. Will take new photos soon.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
For DJ'ing = Sennheiser HD25
For outdoor use = Sennheiser CX300
Home listening = b&O Form 2 (the originals, these are probably 20 years old)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
^those are my go-to headphones for the headphone-equipped arcade games I have. The do the games justice and if someone steps on them I won't lose much sleep.

I've heard better but these are impressive for the price. I have a friend who DJs who borrowed these from me for a while and thought they were a much more expensive product.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Don't laugh. These have high praise and are only $16. I have a pair and, though I'm no audophile, I think they sound

I'm not a snob. I can appreciate audio at all sorts of price points. It just has to sound good and be of passable build quality (unfortunately Dre's Beats is neither of these).

I have some 15 dollar Koss that I rock out to when I work out.