HDTV question/opinion

TrailerTrash

Overtop Pathfinder
Alright so my family tonight while I was at work decided to get a HDTV after I have been planning to get one for myself, they bought a 27" regular HDTV that supports 1080i and a few other things for $300. They mentioned that the store has another for $450 that is widescreen and I could pick it up. I have been doing some searching and reading forums but I just need someone to clarify a couple of things for me on this since I know there are a few people who may know.

My basic questions are this, will this TV lemme play my games (XBOX,PS2,GC) in the supported formats of 420p, 720p, and I know it says 1080i but is there a 1080p?? I know I will need to get the right componet cables to view these but thats not the problem. ( I figure this may be a stupid question since it clearly says 1080i but you never know.) Edit- Last I know 720 is almost standard for alot of things and 1080 is highest?

Since it looks and most likely is a wide screen, do all of them stretch things to fit the screen or do some come with built in options to fit regular??

Last, is this TV missing anything I might need since I only want to play video games that support HD (and old that may not), watch regular TV (not HD channels or anything), and watch movies in HD. (most likely have to get a new DVD player that supports that)

Any help will be appreciated. :D

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
That tv looks pretty good id go for it. I like how it has dvi with hdcp. For games youll use component :) it has that also looks like .
To get the most out of it one day id get a dvd player with dvi output best buy has them starting at $150 I think.
Xbox goes up to 1080i .
I dont think theres a 1080p for video games wouldnt i be betteranyway ?

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/

TrailerTrash

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks for posting, I made a topic already at that site. I'm just down to one question. I see 1080i is almost standard for all HDTV's but I wanna know if the one I might get will display 480p and 720p or will it upscale it to 1080i?? I think that is all that is left before I decide to make my choice. I probably can't tell the difference between any of those but it just seems like your missing out if you don't have those? :conf: :conf:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
:spock: Were did they buy that TV at for $300.00? Kmart's website sells it for $749.99.

TrailerTrash

Overtop Pathfinder
neo_X7 said:
:spock: Were did they buy that TV at for $300.00? Kmart's website sells it for $749.99.

Our K-mart near us is having some sort of sale, not sure how much but my folks were supprised at how much cheaper their TV came out.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
TrailerTrash said:
Our K-mart near us is having some sort of sale, not sure how much but my folks were supprised at how much cheaper their TV came out.
I am going to my local Kmart tomorrow to see if they have any for sale. $300.00 isn't a bad price for a gameing TV.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
TrailerTrash said:
My basic questions are this, will this TV lemme play my games (XBOX,PS2,GC) in the supported formats of 420p, 720p, and I know it says 1080i but is there a 1080p?? I know I will need to get the right componet cables to view these but thats not the problem. ( I figure this may be a stupid question since it clearly says 1080i but you never know.) Edit- Last I know 720 is almost standard for alot of things and 1080 is highest?

It'll work fine. If I recall correctly, there is no set that does true 720. All sets just convert.

Since it looks and most likely is a wide screen, do all of them stretch things to fit the screen or do some come with built in options to fit regular??

Different sets vary. But yes, there are usually different viewing modes accessibly through the menu. Best bet is to fiddle with it in-store if possible to see if it suits your needs.

Last, is this TV missing anything I might need since I only want to play video games that support HD (and old that may not), watch regular TV (not HD channels or anything), and watch movies in HD. (most likely have to get a new DVD player that supports that)

I'd make sure that it does indeed have a DVI input somewhere. It says it supports it, but doesn't list it with the rest of the inputs which is odd. You don't want to buy an HDTV without this option. Also, this TV doesn't come with an integrated tuner. Just something to think about down the line as you'll probably end up buying a seperate box for it in the end.

Plus, you get what you pay for. You can't argue the price, but it is an Advent. You'll probably end up with some geometry problems or a poor looking set in less time than say, a Samsung or Sony.

Good luck. I'd suggest looking at it in person. Nothing really tells you more than that alone.

scooby105

Kula's Candy
return that tv fast
advent tvs suck something fierce

go read up on some stuff at the avsforums
youll get some actual answers there
itd be a much better suited place to ask questions

also, all crts, as far as i know, do not do 720p natively
its upscaled to 1080i

subcons

scooby105 said:
go read up on some stuff at the avsforums
youll get some actual answers there
itd be a much better suited place to ask questions

I second this. AVS Forums.

They aren't going to tell you what you want to hear, but the members there know their shit. Plus, you could probably just do a search on that exact set and come up with opinions on it. I'd imagine they'd be pretty bad.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Can anybody tell me if this TV is any good?
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...S955&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_27"to32"TVs
KD30XS955.jpg

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
scooby105 said:
yep

sony crts are pretty much the best hdtvs you can buy period
:glee: Thanks, I am about to buy that model soon and I was wondering about the quality.

subcons

neo_X7 said:

That's an excellent set I'd imagine. It's got all the features you'd need and Sony makes superb CRTs.

Personally though, I'd go with this one and save yourself a chunk of change: Samsung 30" DynaFlat HDTV. All the same features (although, DVI instead of HDMI) and an excellent picture. This is the TV that's on my list to buy at the moment.

Search the AVS Forums if you're serious about buying one.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
See thats what I was trying to stay away from in this thread.
Hes not spending very much money here hes getting a very decent product for what hes spending no its not sony and yes that why its $400 or whatever and not $1200. Yes it has intergrated tuners and dvi/hdcp I found a .pdf manual for it.

Btw
My tv's>everybody elses here tv.