Have I broken my MVS?

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
I've recently been trying out a new speaker for my MV1-FZ (mono).

When I turned the MVS on, no sound came out of the speaker - not even the 'pop' sound of the speaker getting any power.

I first thought it must be a wire that's come loose in my supergun but the continuity of both the + and - (pins 10 and L) are fine.

It's quite possible that the ends of the speaker cable may have been touching when I first turned it on though... :eek:

Now, no sound comes out of my MVS at all - what's happened - more to the point how can I fix it??

Have I damaged the sound chip or is there something obvious that I haven't checked?

And all this happens just one day before I take delivery of a brand new MVS game.:crying:

Any help is much appreciated.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Slid the volume adjust around to make sure its not all the way down(simple, but you never know).

Try out headphones to make sure the sound is still operating though.

It headphones work but speakers dont then you can replace the amplifier chip. It will probably cost around $10 and you will have to solder it in yourself.

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
Unfortunately the MV1-FZ does not have headphone out so I can't check which bit of the output is broken.

I've checked the volume control and it's not that.

Is there any other way of me checking whether I've bust the amplifier chip?

Where would I get a replacement chip from?

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
I've no idea how many ohms the speaker is.

It's exactly the same as the last one I was using.

I've tried connecting it up to my old speaker as well but I'm still getting no output at all.

I've just connected the speaker directly off the MVS board so I can confirm that it's not my supergun wiring that's the problem.

Any ideas?

What is that chip that's screwed down next to the volume knob, is that the sound amplifier chip?

DaemoN

Camel Slug
you need to know how much ohms.

using the wrong value for too long could overload the audio amp and have it burn...
turn volume up to the max and put your ear against the speaker

do you hear a very faint sound?

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
I've turned the volume up to max and I can hear nothing.

I've also hooked up the supergun audio output to an amplifier and not a sound.

I doubt it was my speaker as I've been using it for some time without problems. It's only when I was trying my second speaker (same make etc) it seems the speaker + and Speaker - terminals may have been touchjing. No loud pops or anything like that - just no sound.

What are my options?

If I can get another sound chip or whatever I'm happy to try and solder a new one in place. Otherwise it looks like a new board will be necessary :( ??

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
If you get no noise at all form the speaker when you turn it all the way it up it is probably the amp chip. The chip has several legs on it. On MV1 it has 2 screws holding it into the PCB.

If you can read the number off of it, try to find a replacement and install it.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Check the 12 volts from the psu to the audio output stage (HA13001) on the board, without that supply the board runs OK but with no sound.

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I have solved the problem :buttrock:

Well to be more precise, you guys have solved it for me.

First I had checked the continuity of the audio pins to the audio output on my supergun - no problem there.

I then measured the voltage on both the 5 and 12 volt pins. All fine and dandy, so I assume that it's the sound chip.

Take the supergun apart, waggle a few wires in the chance that something's come undone and is touching ground when it shouldn't.

Put it back together, measure the voltages again and the 12v line is measuring 2.5v.

Fast forward 2 hours after stripping everything down connecting speaker, getting sound, putting it back together to get nothing :mad:

Turns out that the din connector I use to supply power from the PSU to the supergun has a loose connection.

The idiot that made the connector did a dodgy soldering job on it :emb:

So how stupid do I feel? VERY!

I had no idea until you guys mentioned it that the 12v line was responsible only for audio. I assumed since I got graphics that the power was fine.

Your help is much appreciated.

(I'm going to hide now until my embarrasment fades)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I wouldn't feel ashamed one bit.

You had a problem you couldn't figure out...

Fellow members gave you advice and suggestions...

Out of all that, you found the problem and everything's back to normal...

Never hurts to ask if you can't figure something out ;)