"Hardware Self-Test Failed"

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I recently bought Cyber-Lip and Metal Slug X from somebody here. Cyber-Lip ran pretty well (that ending was quite unexpected!) but Metal Gear X, when inserted into my CMVS with UniBIOS, starts up with a garbled screen, can't really read what it says on the screen, but I could barely make out a "HARDWARE SELF-TEST FAILED".

Is there any hope for this cart, or should I contact the seller and ask for a refund?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's not the cart. The hardware test is for your CMVS. You can disable the hardware test in the Unibios menu.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I'll try that now, but how come the "test" failed only when I inserted the Metal Slug X into my CMVS and not for any other games I inserted into it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hard to say, try clearing your backup ram in the hardware test menu.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Hard to say, try clearing your backup ram in the hardware test menu.

I'll try this in a few minutes.

Something to add: I spent a few minutes scrunizing the garbled screen, trying to "read" it, there's "HARDWARE SELF-TEST FAILED" on top and bottom of screen, and in the middle, it seems to be saying "COMMUNICATION" in a big word. I can't read anything else on the screen, font too small.

Communication, what does it mean?

I'll try clearing the backup RAM and report back.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Okay, now I'm baffled.

I tested Metal Slug X again in my CMVS, and it still have a garbled graphic and hardware test error... so I decided to open it up and check the innard to see if there's anything wrong or missing. Nope, everything looks fine...

So I decided to test it in my The Irritating Maze cabinet, and what do you know? It works. Metal Slug X play perfectly on it (trackball VERY annoying to use in this game).

The only difference between The Irritating Maze and my CMVS is as following:

CMVS - MV-1FZ with UNIBIOS 2.0
IRMAZE - MV-1B with default BIOS

Do UNIBIOS simply not work with Metal Slug X or something? Do I need to upgrade my UNIBIOS?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The unibios bios does not have any problems you describe with that game. A screenshot of the error screen could be helpfull.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Im also wondering if this could be a PSU issue, can you try a different one.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Please tell me that your PSU isn't a +5v@2A one. Those things are iffy with certain "bigger" games.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Here's the picture of the garbled screen. Looking closer, it's something about C something CHIP, I think. Before that, it was something COMMUNICATION.

Keep in mind, this thing play just fine in IRMaze cabinet. I'll check on the external PSU that came with the CMVS and report back what it states on it.

Garbled.jpg

Last edited:

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Looking at PSU that Neotropolis CMVS came with...

"I.T.E. Power Supply Mode SC200"

"Output
+5 V - 4.0 A
+12 V - 1.0 A"

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Judging from the pic I'm guessing it could be failing video RAM? Does it do this with any other big meg games?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The Error being reported in 'THE CALENDAR CHIP'. That said however its clear that the error is actually something else thats causing all sorts of problems with the system. I'm still going to go with the power supply at this pount.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a 1 or 2 slot the PSU is fine but if it's a 4 or 6 slot then yes it could be the PSU.

Also as a work around put in the cyber lip and disable the hardware self test on boot.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I'll try that when I get home later today and report back.

Is there any way to diagnosis the issue and repair it? This thing was pretty pricey, and only a couple of months old (well, not literally, but I only got this a couple of months ago).

Edit: It's one-slot Neotropolis CMVS, MV-1FZ.

Here's the list of games I own, every single of them works except for Metal Slug X. Any of those games a "big" game?

- Cyber-Lip
- Fatal Fury Special
- Ghostlop
- League Bowling
- Metal Slug X
- Neo Bomberman
- Neo Turf Masters
- Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move
- Puzzle Bobble 2 / Bust-A-Move Again
- Samurai Shodown
- Samurai Shodown II
- Samurai Shodown V
- Super Baseball 2020
- The Irritating Maze
- World Heroes 2

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's only a couple months old doesn't it come with any kind of warranty? PM KPJ.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I'll do that very soon. I just looked up the Master List, and Samurai Shodown V has ~700 meg count.

I'll test that one before PMing him.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
After a very busy couple of weeks, I've finally gotten around to testing Metal Slug X and Samurai Shodown V in the MV-1FZ (CMVS), MV-1B (Irritating Maze cabinet), and MV-2F (Big Red cabinet)...

The result? Samurai Shodown V works well in all of three Neo Geo consoles.

Metal Slug X fails to work in MV-1FZ but works fine in The Irritating Maze cabinet and thg Big Red cabinet.

Samurai Shodown V is 708 megs, way higher than Metal Slug X.

I'm at loss. But just to be on the safe side, I'll just send out the CMVS for repair/replacement.