Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
When I was a 15 year old metal meant one thing, that is was either true metal or it wasn't metal at all, that was then, I was naïve, "it's not brutal enough", I thought I knew it all...I thought I had it made!...lol I couldn't resist, anyway...yeah, metal was one thing and the rest can screw. I was so blind, robbed from musical freedom.

Metal now is just remnants of what it used to be. I really don't care who or what made this or made that, or all these new genres that keep popping ever since the re-inventing of the wheel in all things metal (in other words the 90's and so forth) but really who cares?! Metal is not a lifestyle, if it is for you then by all means more power to you but the way things are now where everything is full frontal cheese, nothing is sacred anymore, no one is safe, metal has been desecrated from it's inception, it was so strong that it took a decade or two to finally show signs of wear.

It's like Dimmu Borgir, I always saw them as posers, musically and presentation wise, but hell I might enjoy a song or two anyway 'cause they're rather catchy. Children of Bodom, never truly liked their style, I felt the guitarist was a primma donna, but hey, after listening to a few albums I rather like them more than dislike them, however they still suck in my opinion.

To me true metal was what I was listening when I was a kid, but then again anyone one else could say the same and name groups like Dragon Force, Cradle of Filth, Devil Driver and all that stuff people listen to these days, I dunno, I don't keep up with the times and truly I don't hold the metal banner high anymore, there's no need, I fought the good fight when I thought was needed to have a fight, I was all about metal and spreading it to those I saw worthy of holding the flame alight. Now, I don't really care. Now I just look back at all the stuff I missed out 'cause "it wasn't brutal enough".

For example; I'm exploring the true foundations of metal, metal before metal was made, before the NWOBHM, leaning towards the mid 70's, I'm finding things I should have been listening since I was a kid, I could tell you maybe things could have been different had I turn a different direction.

I just like music in general and if it's well made I can give three shits what genre it is or what gimmick do the musicians present themselves with.

Half of the shit I see in this thread is horrible, I mean really, I laugh when the word elitist comes across after seeing the musical taste this people have, but hey music is subjective and it's all about a personal prefecrence, we're too old to be fooled into a trend or a cult, leave that to the teens of today...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Seeing some of the "elitist" (for lack of a better word) comments always reminds me of the old Deathlike Silence logo...
tumblr_n9yjdt7NPC1tj0b1oo1_1280.jpg

Nothing wrong with enjoying some garbage tunes every now and then and having fun! :)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
A couple newer metal bands I like from my home state of NJ

Death-y:

Doom-ish:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Metallica

Megadeth

Exodus

Nuclear Assault

whiplash

Ip Man

15 Year Member
It always pissed me off when people bashed metallica by saying how slow and soft their newer stuff was "unlike the OLD HEAVY metallica".then i would ask them what their favourite band is,which in reply they would say something like green day,fucking hipsters.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
It always pissed me off when people bashed metallica by saying how slow and soft their newer stuff was "unlike the OLD HEAVY metallica".then i would ask them what their favourite band is,which in reply they would say something like green day,fucking hipsters.
They should be put to death.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Metallica

Megadeth

Sofie's choice: If you had to pick just one, which would it be? It's a question that can't definitively be answered, given the amazing scope of music both bands have put out.

I lost hope when St. Anger came out - that was such an abysmal album, especially after Load and ReLoad. Death Magnetic was like sex - everything about it just felt right. Faith restored.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Green Day is hip music?

PS Metallica sux

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Someone with a hardline stance may not care to examine this, or whether these groups have produced art, or simply manufactured a product for profit. It's all shit to them, and there's no incentive to discern beyond. Which is, fine/good. The preservation of a musical style is healthier with purists than without.

You make a really solid argument in breaking down my original comment. But this last statement has more of a resonance with me and my take on the genre as a whole; the rest of it (wannabe BM) is shit to me, because in my opinion, black metal is more than just extreme music. Does this mean I miss out on the vast array of music out there? Definitely not because of my opinion, but because there is just so much fucking music out there with artists creating new material, that I just don't have the time to hear it all.

EG, as with ASID, I respect your opinion, but I can't relate to it. I listen to all types of music, not just "extreme", so I don't feel as though I am missing out on anything. I don't turn my back on anything until I have at least listened to it. Do I turn my back on imitation black metal? Of course I do. Black metal is elite and there is no time to appreciate the fake offerings.

Last edited:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Sofie's choice: If you had to pick just one, which would it be? It's a question that can't definitively be answered, given the amazing scope of music both bands have put out.

Ten years ago,If I had to pick one it would have to of be Metallica. Love the over all feel of Metallica but Megadeth would of come in a very VERY close second. Metallica is and always will be my favourite band but now days I look more forward to Megadeth's new albums over Metallica's.

I lost hope when St. Anger came out - that was such an abysmal album, especially after Load and ReLoad. Death Magnetic was like sex - everything about it just felt right. Faith restored.

To be honest I never disliked any of Metallica's albums. Load was the album that got me into metal.I understand why some may dislike St anger but it was a big deal for at the time,I didn't even know people disliked it until I had internet access lol.But I completely agree with Death Magnetic,That album was a tribute to there early years,it felt very and justice for all and it is awesome.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Verbatum who got run off this site for some drama with TonK over a Castlevania 1CC video is the lead guitarist of this band. I'm not into death metal, but he's pretty good.

What do you consider Ministry? Speed Metal? Thrash? Industrial Metal?

I notice the punk rockers take a liking to Ministry.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To be honest I never disliked any of Metallica's albums. Load was the album that got me into metal.I understand why some may dislike St anger but it was a big deal for at the time,I didn't even know people disliked it until I had internet access lol.But I completely agree with Death Magnetic,That album was a tribute to there early years,it felt very and justice for all and it is awesome.
You're a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier, music is subjective, you're always gonna find people that swear by their first love with metal. I have to say, load, reload, etc...suck IMHO compared to their earlier efforts, in that same sense the Black Album is meh, however I can pick and choose a few tunes that I can enjoy from all that later stuff but to me Metallica's albums in order of preference.

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning

Kill 'em All

...and Justice for all

Black Album

Death Magnetic

Load/Reload & St. Anger

Hetfield's voice has changed for the worse and ironically he's trying to sing better...lol, he should have stopped at the progress he made with the Black Album, that was a pretty decent voice even though he spammed the bejesus out of that "He yah ha!" lol.

I honestly feel Metallica are extremely overated, 2 fantastic albums for sure, I mean 2 of my favorite albums ever but damn once Burton was gone it was a down hill spiral, not sure if it was Burton's guidance that kept them sharp or what but they never truly recovered.

Death Magnetic is laughable at parts, trying too god damn hard...

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I don't know... I can't seem to come around to liking all this newer metal stuff. All the band names stylized like a 5 year old with downs and tourettes drew the logo. As soon as I see that on an album cover, I dismiss the whole thing. I can't get behind the whole concept of cramming as much noise into a bar as possible. It just doesn't make any logical sense to me. How do the jam sessions for these bands go?

"Hey, Louis! I'm just gonna go off four whole notes before you come in on lead, banging every drum at the same time over and over with barbie dolls suspended from a marionette looking contraption! Sound good!?"

"Yeah, Juan! Totes magotes! Then I'm gonna take this violin bow that i use to give myself auto erotic asphyxiation and grind it up and down the fretboard kinda the same way i jacked off my dad last night! What are you thinking about, Evan?!"

"That sounds great guys! Then I'll come in with Juan's grandma's 3 day old used Depends crammed down my throat and make noises while I try to shove this lava lamp into my asshole!"

That being said, I am really digging Ghost right now.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
You're a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier, music is subjective, you're always gonna find people that swear by their first love with metal. I have to say, load, reload, etc...suck IMHO compared to their earlier efforts, in that same sense the Black Album is meh, however I can pick and choose a few tunes that I can enjoy from all that later stuff but to me Metallica's albums in order of preference.

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'em All
...and Justice for all
Black Album
Death Magnetic
Load/Reload & St. Anger

Hetfield's voice has changed for the worse and ironically he's trying to sing better...lol, he should have stopped at the progress he made with the Black Album, that was a pretty decent voice even though he spammed the bejesus out of that "He yah ha!" lol.

I honestly feel Metallica are extremely overated, 2 fantastic albums for sure, I mean 2 of my favorite albums ever but damn once Burton was gone it was a down hill spiral, not sure if it was Burton's guidance that kept them sharp or what but they never truly recovered.

Death Magnetic is laughable at parts, trying too god damn hard...

Kill 'Em All is one of my favorite albums - always will be - but i like the Black album too - its what got me to like the band and music in general. Their cover of "Last Caress" got me into The Misfits, and then into punk music itself.

Death magnetic has parts that remind me of their earlier albums, but it was all new stuff - nothing sounds like a rehash or like theyre trying to recreate a past success.

What pisses me off are the ones that say "they'll never be as good as when they made _______..." Fucking retards. They'll never make another ...Justice, or Master of Puppets, or Kill 'Em All. They're not supposed to and they dont have to. People change, people grow, musical styles should change and be explored. Just because you dont like what a band puts out now doesnt mean that it affects their previous output. Bands and musicians dont owe you a fucking thing. You dont like their new material? dont fucking listen to it. problem solved

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anyone who knows Metallica would list Master, Ride, Kill - in that order.

Can I just say though, that the first metal album I ever bought was Metallica's black album, it was the GOLD edition, way back in '91, I was 9 years old and in 4th grade. When I was 11 and in 6th grade I already owned all of Metallica's current discog on CD; I remember being pulled out of class to a grade below me, I thought I was in trouble... When I got to the class everyone stared at me as I stood in the door and the teacher asked me "which was Cliff Burton's last album with Metallica?"

I don't know why I was taken out of class to answer a Metallica question by a class below me, but that class knew I like metal, and they knew I liked Metallica.

I remember in the same year I got bullied by some guy in my year when I persisted that The Frayed Ends of Sanity sampled The Wizard of Oz.

I also remember in high school getting into a lot of trouble in year 7 or 8 for bringing Cannibal Corpse's The Bleeding and Cradle of Filth's Vempire (the tits cover art) to school. I used to set up shop and sell all my unwanted CD's and then go buy new ones that weekend.

Stick it in, rip the skin!

Still my fav CC album! Burns > Fisher

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I used to buy overpriced concert bootlegs when i was in high school and sell the copies of them for $5 a piece