Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Discharge I love as well, but I can't say I'm too interested in all of the Dis- clone bands. I live in Japan, which is the Dis- clone band capital of the world!
As true a thing as ever was spoken. When I was studying in Japan from 1996 onwards, there was an enormous crust knock-off scene with tons of Dis- bands. I wasn't really listening to much crust by that point though, so I didn't really care. By then I was listening to lots of extreme noise and experimental shit, and the Japanese scene was/is amazing. Merzbow, Hijou Kaidan, Gerogerigegege, Incapacitants, Fushitsusha, early Acid Mothers Temple, all that stuff.

I still listen to all the greats though - Discharge, Doom, Conflict, Crass, Nausea, etc. Speaking of Nausea, I love Neil's later group Final Warning - they were fucking nuts.

By the way, are you in Tokyo? Studying? Teaching?

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
Ahh, King Diamond. The picture-lp's "Them", "Conspiracy" and "The eye" will never leave my livingroom wall no matter how old i get or my tastes in music changes. Timeless classics.

Edge of sanity and Infestdead still kicks massive ass too, and y'all owe it to yourselves to check them out right now if youve missed them.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
SonGohan
Black Sabbath
Diamond Head
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Ozzy Osbourne
since when are sabbath and ozzy hardcore? well ... ok ... think, i'm a hardcore fan, too. :)

all time fav rock 'bands' :

him (not 'hardcore', but i can't get enough of their stuff)
ozzy osbourne
black sabbath
nightwish
hammerfall
iron maiden

h.m. :

wes s. wink
metallica (old stuff)
hardcore superstar
pyogenesis
meat loaf ('bat out of hell' got me into rock music, when i was 13.)
guns'n'roses
guano apes
apocalyptica
andrew wk
danzig (the first album is quite good)

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
tsukaesugi:
And, although not from NY, still part of the same era/ scene, Bad Brains.
First time I have heard the Bad Brains referred to as Metal.

I guess it's too bad, I guess it's too bad.
I guess it's too bad, too bad.
For you.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
gmw:
Discharge I love as well, but I can't say I'm too interested in all of the Dis- clone bands. I live in Japan, which is the Dis- clone band capital of the world!
As true a thing as ever was spoken. When I was studying in Japan from 1996 onwards, there was an enormous crust knock-off scene with tons of Dis- bands. I wasn't really listening to much crust by that point though, so I didn't really care. By then I was listening to lots of extreme noise and experimental shit, and the Japanese scene was/is amazing. Merzbow, Hijou Kaidan, Gerogerigegege, Incapacitants, Fushitsusha, early Acid Mothers Temple, all that stuff.

I still listen to all the greats though - Discharge, Doom, Conflict, Crass, Nausea, etc. Speaking of Nausea, I love Neil's later group Final Warning - they were fucking nuts.

By the way, are you in Tokyo? Studying? Teaching?
I've been here for about six and a half years now, the first six were teaching English conversation up north, now I'm at a couple of universities here in Tokyo.

I was in a band for awhile too, we were kinda like Motorhead plus Disorder minus talent.

One of the guys in my band went on to form a Dis- band called 'Discomfort', this is their site if you're interested:

<a href="http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Suzuran/8878/" target="_blank">Total Cheap D-Beat Attack</a>

I know I've heard Final Warning at some point, but I definitely don't own any. I don't listen to very much crust these days either, I'm more int Brian Eno, and ambient. I really like Corrupted though, ever heard of them? They're a side project of the drummer from the Boredoms and they play ambient grind!!

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: tsukaesugi ]</small>

tsukaesugi

Briggs:
tsukaesugi:
And, although not from NY, still part of the same era/ scene, Bad Brains.
First time I have heard the Bad Brains referred to as Metal.

I guess it's too bad, I guess it's too bad.
I guess it's too bad, too bad.
For you.
Oops, didn't mean to call the Bad Brains metal; this thread has kinda become the heavy metal/ hardcore thread!

neobuyer:
WTF GA?

No mention of GWAR?

GWAR rocks!
'Cause we are GWAR!

And we'll go FAR!

We've got gui-TARS!

We go to BARS!

GWARGWARGWARGWAR!'

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Mr. Tsukaesugi sir - You should absolutely, without a doubt, zettai ni, purchase the Final Warning 7" "Eyes of a Child," an amazing record. Even if you don't listen to crustilicious stuff anymore (neither do I, really), if you liked Nausea, I'm willing to bet that you'll get up on this record like a joshi kousei on Beckham. It's that good. Very metal-ly and fast with great vocals.

Checked out the site you posted. Is that the original Laughin' Nose that your bro's band played with a month or so ago? If so, when did they reform? That's like early 80's Cobra-era Japanese punk if it's the original folks. I also noticed that they played with Oi!Valcans - always found them pretty lame in the context of Japanese skin/Oi! stuff - despite my total hate of the absurd and reactionary politics, I have a soft spot for the nutters like Tettsui, Miburo, Gruesome, etc. Especially Gruesome cuz they're so fucking hardcore.

The Boredoms are amazing! Love the new(ish) record "Tsu Gi Ne Pu" - been listening to that constantly - fucks the head like very little else out there. Acid Mothers Temple played Philly this past Sunday - nothing like seeing Father Mu (Moo) and His Black Sheep live!

Are you by any chance ex-JET? After discovering my oku no hosomichi while over there, I came back stateside and am working on my PhD here in early 20th cent Japanese intellectual hist.

Man, this is pretty far off the metal track, but Oh Ma Gacho~n! Not too many folk listening to these tasty records out there period.

tsukaesugi

OMG! You know Tettsui, Miburo etc. One of my friends up north is a skin, he got me into Miburo, Gruesome, Sideburns, Raiya first, then later on Tettsui, Raise A Flag, Oi! Valcans etc.

I had a chance to see Miburo in Sendai, but I didn't go: I was warned away by one of my crusty friends. He suggested there was a small chance that someone in the audience might have taken offense to my being white. Seeing as how Miburo recently did a tour of Germany, I guess the colour of my skin wouldn't have mattered much!

I did get to see a few N.American bands when they toured here. I saw Assuck (great guys, not so great band) and Aus Rotten (great guys, phenomenal band). Both of these bands stayed at my friend's house for the night, so I got to hang out with them for a day or so before and after the show.

I don't know much about noise bands outside of the Boredoms, Merzbow, and Melt Banana (noise? band? I don't know what these guys are classified as!), but a few of my friends are into them.

Yes, that is the 'Laughing Nose', however, it's just the singer and the bassist these days. The guitarist and the drummer are these 20-something year olds. One band that is still going after all these years is Gauze. They never broke up, they just keep playing shows and putting out the very occasional record. Cobra are also still together I do believe.

GISM did a one off tour last year, three shows in three days or so to commemorate the recent death of Randy Uchida. Don't know if you heard about that. The shows were like a who's who of Japanese punk: GISM, Tetsu Are, Rocky and the Sweden, Assfort, Baki and Tatsu from Gastunk, Final Bombs plus about ten other bands.

Where can I get that Final Warning? Is it still in print?

And finally, not Jet, but Geos. Uggh, six years of eikaiwa has left me a bitter and angry punk!

How much longer til you graduate?

bloodhokuto

&#1052;&#1077;&#1085;&#1103; &#1079;&#1086;&#1074;
15 Year Member
Perhaps not in the right category (or any category) but The Mad Capsule Markets are pretty spiffing! -especially live of course!

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Tsukaesugi - Since our conversation has taken an extremely esoteric turn that most people will be completely bewildered by, I suppose we should take it outside this thread - check your PM.

GamersAbyss

Chin's Drinking Partner
supergoose79:
SonGohan
Black Sabbath
Diamond Head
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Ozzy Osbourne
since when are sabbath and ozzy hardcore? well ... ok ... think, i'm a hardcore fan, too. :)

all time fav rock 'bands' :

him (not 'hardcore', but i can't get enough of their stuff)
ozzy osbourne
black sabbath
nightwish
hammerfall
iron maiden

h.m. :

wes s. wink
metallica (old stuff)
hardcore superstar
pyogenesis
meat loaf ('bat out of hell' got me into rock music, when i was 13.)
guns'n'roses
guano apes
apocalyptica
andrew wk
danzig (the first album is quite good)
Since when are Ozzy and Sabbath hardcore!?! There would be no hardcore without Black Sabbath and Black Sabbath is not hardcore without Ozzy.

The masters of Metal and Metal Gods they are!!!

One big fucking question!!!

Why has no one mentioned fucking

PANTERA!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this god damned thread?

Shame on us all!!!

buttrock

iku

n00b
bloodhokuto:
Perhaps not in the right category (or any category) but The Mad Capsule Markets are pretty spiffing! -especially live of course!
MCM are indeed a fine band.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I love Metal but sadly I haven't been listening to much lately.

Favorite Bands:
Slayer
Stone Sour
Slipknot
Mudvayne
Pantera
Tool
System of a Down
Hatebreed
Napalm Death

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
i like Sludge, and DOOM metal.
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

and grind.

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
oh, and GMW and tsukaesugi.
i used to be into crust a year or two ago.
e.i. Nausea, Phobia, Dystopia(still like em.), His Hero is Gone, Plutocracy, Discordance Axis(still like em), ect ect, i could go on.

i still have an old spazz shirt....

and ive got Doom - Fuck Peaceville 2xLP if anyone is interested in buying it, i dont really listen to it anymore.

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: mookystains ]</small>

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
GamersAbyss Since when are Ozzy and Sabbath hardcore!?! There would be no hardcore without Black Sabbath and Black Sabbath is not hardcore without Ozzy.
i know. i just thought about songs like 'mama, i'm coming home'. wink
don't get me wrong ... there's a reason, why i own 3 ozzy t-shirts, one sabbath shirt, a sabbath wallscroll and some of their albums. drool

btw : yesterday, i listened to the latest album by manowar and liked it a lot.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
oh, and GMW and tsukaesugi.
i used to be into crust a year or two ago.
e.i. Nausea, Phobia, Dystopia(still like em.), His Hero is Gone, Plutocracy, Discordance Axis(still like em), ect ect, i could go on.
His Hero is Gone were really good - by the time they came out (97? 98?) I hadn't been listening to crust/hardcore/grindcore for a few years, but their first album (Fifteen Counts of Arson) really blew me away. Amazing weird overtones coming out of the noise on that one. Apparently Merzbow remixed a DA track recently, which I need to track down.

mookystains - if you like the mid-80's stuff like Nausea, you should definitely get the 7" I was mentioning to tsukaesugi - Final Warning's "Eyes of a Child." Neil from Nausea. Mindblowing ultra-heavy crust.

tsukaesugi

His Hero is Gone reformed as 'Tragedy'. They were totalluy into Japanese hardcore, and their sound really reflected it.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM metal rocks, and Doom the band rocks as well. Some of you younger kids out there oughtta buy Mooky's Doom 2xLP and find out what all the fuss is about.

GamersAbyss

Chin's Drinking Partner
supergoose79:
GamersAbyss Since when are Ozzy and Sabbath hardcore!?! There would be no hardcore without Black Sabbath and Black Sabbath is not hardcore without Ozzy.
i know. i just thought about songs like 'mama, i'm coming home'. wink
don't get me wrong ... there's a reason, why i own 3 ozzy t-shirts, one sabbath shirt, a sabbath wallscroll and some of their albums. drool

btw : yesterday, i listened to the latest album by manowar and liked it a lot.
Hey I hear ya Bro. Biggest Black Sabbath fan ever here man. I got to see the band in its original form back in the 70's and let me tell you!!! They just totally blew me away.

I know Ozzy has mellowed out quite a bit in his old age but I was an Ozzy fan when Ozzy wasnt cool and I am happy for him that after all these years and all the bad press he is finally being recognized as a human, a father and one hell of an inspiration to all things metal and not just the guy who bit the head off the bat.

Ozzy has done for heavy metal what Elvis and Chuck Berry have done for rock and roll. He is the king of metal no doubt at all.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
well, I ain't got no favourites anymore (no real reason why, I just don't), so here's a small list of who's currently floating my boat
Soil
Opeth
Gorgoroth
Solace Denied
Emperor
Paradise Lost

buttrock buttrock buttrock