Happy Birthday, Samurai Shodown III!!!1

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Samurai Spirits/Shodown III was released 21 years ago today!

Happy birthday to my favorite in the series.

(This showed up at the bottom of the page in Today's events and birthdays, and someone made a member page for it, so I'm thinking I'm not alone. :) )

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Happy Birthday Hisame Shizumaru! May your parasol always be savagely deployed.

I never really cared for SS until I realized the greatness of III and I was awakened.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
HBD SS3. My favorite in the series as well. Was actually playing it last night.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
now it's official!.

not my favourite, but still a gem. happy birthday samurai shodown 3.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Sorry for the Wiko calculator picture (???) quality.

Had to take that one before my AES Jap copy goes :)
Happy B-Day SSIII!
ss3.jpg

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Nice... My favorite as well. Over all great game. Happy birthday Samurai Spirits!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Samurai Spirits/Shodown III was released 21 years ago today!

Happy birthday to my favorite in the series.

Same here as I got highly addicted to it when they had a Neo-Geo at my college back in the later 90s and I could wreck it with Shizumaru and a few of the SS1 hold overs. My interest in it was even great enough to import the chibi looking JP only release for the Super Gameboy and it's surprisingly good.

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Back in the day IV was my favorite but as time has went on I've come to like III the most. Presentation wise its easily the best in series, the only thing it lacks is a bigger roster.

I thought I was the only person who liked it best in the series! I remember getting into it when I saw dudes playing it in the arcade and just having a stare down in game, since one miss would decide the round. It was just like the samurai movie duels, and made a great impression on me...

...so when I bought a PlayStation I bought the SS3 port with its 30 second load times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Presentation wise its easily the best in series, the only thing it lacks is a bigger roster.

i guess that's debatable. the entire series looks great. it's hard to just pick one imo.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
ive always been a Fan of 2 and 4, but 3 seems pretty legit, hopefully get a chance to play it

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
i guess that's debatable. the entire series looks great. it's hard to just pick one imo.
Yea that's fair to say Samurai Showdown in general has some of the best art I've seen in a video game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What a shame it got shit on by the press back in the day.

from wikipedia:

"Samurai Shodown III received moderately positive reviews. Reviewing the Neo Geo AES version, Electronic Gaming Monthly remarked that the graphics are not as good as the first two games in the series and that the Neo Geo controller makes it difficult to pull off some moves, but they greatly praised the large number of characters and the two different personas for each character, and in general rated the gameplay as superior to the first two Samurai Shodowns. They scored the game a 7.25/10.[1] Major Mike of GamePro commented that impressive innovations such as the multiple personas and the sidestep ability are to an extent countered by the omission on some of the best characters from the previous games and the less impressive backgrounds. He concluded that "While Shodown III won't disappoint fans of the series, it isn't the jump that Shodown II was over I."[2] Maximum assessed the Neo Geo CD version as "an excellently detailed and extremely playable beat 'em up, maintaining SNK's usual high standards." They particularly praised the fact that character alignment affects the gameplay instead of just cosmetic differences, the much improved balance of the characters, the constantly moving backgrounds, and the highly experimental soundtrack. Remarking that the game's one major problem is that it is irritatingly difficult, they gave it 4 out of 5 stars.[3]

Gamepro described the PlayStation version as "a lousy port of an equally bad NeoGeo game", citing missing frames of animation, slowdown, and overly drawn-out fights.[4] GameSpot also commented on the missing frames of animation and slowdown in the PlayStation version, and additionally criticized the "excruciatingly long" loading times, but nonetheless concluded that "Those who loved the arcade game version of Samurai Shodown III will be happy with this conversion." and gave it a 6.7/10.[5]

At Game Rankings, it holds a rating of 51% for the PS port[6] and 72% for the Neo Geo port.[7]"

I always liked it though. Even the PS1 port I had to put up with until I got it on MVS. What a cool game.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Love this game and the fact that a round can be over with 3 hits. Was playing it only a few days ago with the kids. It's really satisfying when you land a hard blow in a way that no other game can recreate.