Had to put my cat down today

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
My cat Paula was 19 years old and we had a great life together but this is the worst feeling I have ever had.

She was fine when I left for work this morning and when I got home she wasn't able to stand on her right paws. She crawled over to me and I lost it. I knew right away that when I took her to Dr's she wouldn't be coming home.

They couldn't figure out why she couldn't move her right paws but they found a lump in her stomach that they were pretty sure was cancer. They advised me given her age treatment would only cause her suffering. It was so shocking that this morning she seemed so happy and fine and now 10 hours later there was nothing we could do for her.

I know I should feel lucky that we got 19 years and today was the only day she really suffered but I just can't believe she is gone. I stayed with her the whole time and just couldn't believe it was happening. I have spent the last 2 hours crying like a big baby and just can't help it. Even when i got back home it was like I still expected her to run around the corner to greet me. We have always been so close .

Just had to share as I needed to get it off my chest :crying:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
luckily i moved out before any of my old childhood pets died. since then i havent had a pet die on me.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
jesus. I'm sorry to hear that man.
19 years is a long time,
try to just be happy with the years you got.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear that.

19 is a long life for a cat, so atleast you got to have a alot of time with her.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Sorry about your kitty, Neco. The only cat I've ever had that needed to be put down was when I had already moved out, but it was still hard for me. I don't know that I'd react any different than yourself if I had to put down my current cats. They really are a part of the family.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I know as the weeks go by I will be able to look back and feel so fortunate for all the great time we had it was just so out of the blue it hit so hard.

I kept thinking I could be strong but the moment I talked to my mom to have her help me bring her down to the vet I couldn't even get it out on the phone.

I know not everyone feels close attachments to animals but for some of us they really are an equal member of the family

Thanks again for the responses

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that man. My sister and I had to put down our Cat who was 17 years old this year. I just turned 25 and my sister 23 and we've had the cat since it was less than a year a old. So you can see that our cat had been with us for a long time - so I definitely understand how sad it is to see your beloved pet (family member really) go. The pain eases in time.

:(

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Sorry to hear the news Neco. Things will get easier for you in time.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
That sucks man. I've had to put down a few off my cats in my time (I lived on a farm and we have the medicine around when animals are in their last moments suffering). The most tearjerking one was this sweet little gray & black tiger cat. When she was about 14 or 15, she started losing her hearing, then went slightly blind and in that same months she started going blind, she had a stroke. She could only walk in a circle, because she couldn't control her left side, so I put her down myself with the meds.

Still one of the saddest things I've ever experienced. but just remember the good times and it's much better :)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
My friend had to put his cat down recently. The girl was 21 years old. I am kind of sad thinking about it because she was an amazing pet. She put clean your hair like you were a kitten to her or something and then "threaten" you to pet her (she's show her claws) and if you stopped to early she'd keep reminding you she could scratch the shit out of you. She was a very nice cat and I didn't even know her as well as my friend did (he's had the cat since it was born), but it was kind of sad to see it go.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Sorry for your loss Neco. They really do become part of the family

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear that Neco. I know how you feel. Had to put my dog down a few years back and it's very tough.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
My condolences, Neco. While it was indeed sad to say goodbye to your friend of 19 years, you'll remember all the times, good and bad with your cat. God bless.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
You have my condolences. I had to put my kitty down back in 2002. It's one of the hardest things to do, but like the others said, remember all the good times you had with her. :(

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
That's too bad, Neco. I had to do the same with my dog who was 14 years old a few months ago, and it felt terrible.

But, in these situations, all you can really do is treasure the memories you've had together. It's a good feeling to know that you've helped to fill their lives with happiness, and that they were able to do the same for you.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
One thing's for sure about this place: you can always count on us for consoling and comfort during hard times when dealing w/a loved one's loss. Condolences to you on your cat, fellow member.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My cat Paula was 19 years old and we had a great life together but this is the worst feeling I have ever had.

She was fine when I left for work this morning and when I got home she wasn't able to stand on her right paws. She crawled over to me and I lost it. I knew right away that when I took her to Dr's she wouldn't be coming home.

They couldn't figure out why she couldn't move her right paws but they found a lump in her stomach that they were pretty sure was cancer. They advised me given her age treatment would only cause her suffering. It was so shocking that this morning she seemed so happy and fine and now 10 hours later there was nothing we could do for her.

I know I should feel lucky that we got 19 years and today was the only day she really suffered but I just can't believe she is gone. I stayed with her the whole time and just couldn't believe it was happening. I have spent the last 2 hours crying like a big baby and just can't help it. Even when i got back home it was like I still expected her to run around the corner to greet me. We have always been so close .

Just had to share as I needed to get it off my chest :crying:

reading this got me a little teary-eyed, because I too have an old cat that's been having trouble lately..

love the ones you love while you can, guys.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
My sincere condolences. I've only had to put down one animal in my adult life, and I had him a scant five weeks. He was a little cat named Gabriel, who was dying of FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis). I held him as he died, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Pets are family. Or at least, they should be treated as such.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
My girlfriends cat just passed away April 1st. She had her since kindergarden, the cat slept in here bed right next to her. I've never seen her act the way she did, but we all knew it was comming, she is slowly getting better, it will take time, but you will be able to get through it. I know I am going to lose it when my cat goes....I love him to death. Just give it some time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Having a pet put to sleep is almost always the most humane way to have an animal that you care about put to rest. They are out out so quickly you really shouldn't feel to bad.

It's for the best really.:(

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Thanks again for all the replies I really appreciate it. It was so weird last night, she had always slept with me :(

Even though it was the hardest thing I have ever done I knew I couldn't leave her like that not able to walk. It just suck so much as even when i came home and she was like that I picked her up and she started purring like crazy. I hope I was able to give her some comfort in her final hours.

Thanks again everyone it made me feel better to see everyone's posts.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Even though it was the hardest thing I have ever done I knew I couldn't leave her like that not able to walk. It just suck so much as even when i came home and she was like that I picked her up and she started purring like crazy. I hope I was able to give her some comfort in her final hours.

You did the right thing. Cats often purr to calm themselves when they are stressed or in pain. Letting go always sucks, but it's always best to let your old friend end her life peacefully, free of concern or hurt.

And in time, you might want to consider getting another cat. Very few things soothe the hurt of loss like the presence of a young and vital new household addition. Just remember, it's never a "replacement."

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Sorry for your loss of a family pet and I know what it's to lose a pet like my pet rat named Bonkers who passed away back in 1995 and I was really sad to see that she was gone. She lived for 3 years. :(

Be strong and always remember her. :)