Guys from Giant Bomb play a Consolized MVS

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
those guys are awful at those games lol. but it is cool to see people reping the neo geo even if they didnt have a clue what they were talking about.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It always surprises me when people claim to be into video games, and have some sort of platform of videos games as their profession, yet seem so out of touch with video games of the past. Like, what were they doing when we were all playing video games growing up? What were they into... because it surely wasn't living and breathing video games. ;) I watched about 20 minutes of that video, and just couldn't take anymore. At least the Omega got some props... Of course, they also said it costs $200... by looking on eBay at arcade boards.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It always surprises me when people claim to be into video games, and have some sort of platform of videos games as their profession, yet seem so out of touch with video games of the past. Like, what were they doing when we were all playing video games growing up? What were they into... because it surely wasn't living and breathing video games. ;) I watched about 20 minutes of that video, and just couldn't take anymore. At least the Omega got some props... Of course, they also said it costs $200... by looking on eBay at arcade boards.
I get not knowing everything about every game console, but christ they could have take 2 seconds to do a little research before they opened their mouths.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
They do this stuff just to have content for the site i have yet to see an actual gamer that can play video games on these big game sites and i just facepalm watching them at the conventions it seems like they have never used a pad or stick in their life they always mashing

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I try really hard to not give sites like Giant Bomb any traffic.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Rape and murder. It's always the tortured dark past of rape and murder.

You'd think so with how angry everyone is. YOU SLIGHTLY MISREPRESENTED MY NICHE VIDEO GAME SYSTEM AND ARE BAD AT GAMES TOO.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You'd think so with how angry everyone is. YOU SLIGHTLY MISREPRESENTED MY NICHE VIDEO GAME SYSTEM AND ARE BAD AT GAMES TOO.

For people who are the voice of gaming today, and this isn't directed specifically at Giant Bomb, but the gaming journalists as a whole, there are very few that actually understand gaming, or know how to do a seconds worth of research to figure out what they're about to talk about. Kotaku, and the ilk, perpetuate this top of the head writing on most everything they talk about. It causes anyone who actually loves games and played tons and tons and tons of them over the years to roll their eyes and wonder how these guys even get paid to do this.

I don't expect those guys to have even an ounce of the knowledge people who have been here ten plus years have on the Neo, but my God do they come off as people who've never even touched a game before. How can you get to that level and do this for a living and seem like such a boob when it comes to playing and talking games?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
For people who are the voice of gaming today, and this isn't directed specifically at Giant Bomb, but the gaming journalists as a whole, there are very few that actually understand gaming, or know how to do a seconds worth of research to figure out what they're about to talk about. Kotaku, and the ilk, perpetuate this top of the head writing on most everything they talk about. It causes anyone who actually loves games and played tons and tons and tons of them over the years to roll their eyes and wonder how these guys even get paid to do this.

I don't expect those guys to have even an ounce of the knowledge people who have been here ten plus years have on the Neo, but my God do they come off as people who've never even touched a game before. How can you get to that level and do this for a living and seem like such a boob when it comes to playing and talking games?

I dunno dude, this wasn't exactly supposed to be a hard core history of the neo geo. It was, "I have these games, dude dropped off this thing to play them, let's play them."

It's easy to talk mess about people not remembering old video game stuff well, but how much could you talk about anything new? Not much I'd suppose, I know I can't. Not to mention you're talking about a niche (fighting games) inside a niche (neo geo). If anyone has played or knows ANYTHING about a neo fighter that's not Sam Sho 2, I'm surprised.

Not to mention most of us here learned as much as we did about neo geo stuff well after the fact. Sure now I can spit off the top 10 neo games of 1996 or tell you every permutation of mvs cabinet and hardware, but back then it was, AT BEST, that neo geo was the big red one with all the games (puzzle bobble) in it or the really expensive one from the hotdog ad.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I dunno dude, this wasn't exactly supposed to be a hard core history of the neo geo. It was, "I have these games, dude dropped off this thing to play them, let's play them."

It's easy to talk mess about people not remembering old video game stuff well, but how much could you talk about anything new? Not much I'd suppose, I know I can't. Not to mention you're talking about a niche (fighting games) inside a niche (neo geo). If anyone has played or knows ANYTHING about a neo fighter that's not Sam Sho 2, I'm surprised.

Not to mention most of us here learned as much as we did about neo geo stuff well after the fact. Sure now I can spit off the top 10 neo games of 1996 or tell you every permutation of mvs cabinet and hardware, but back then it was, AT BEST, that neo geo was the big red one with all the games (puzzle bobble) in it or the really expensive one from the hotdog ad.

There's two problems with that line of thinking, though. One, we're not doing this professionally, and two we're not paid to be video game enthusiasts and the mouth piece of a gaming website. If your job is video games, not just your hobby... You better fucking know video games. I know it's a rare breed to find someone who knows this stuff and has a personality that won't chafe people raw, but comeon, man, they're getting paid to talk and write about games. I'll say I agree with your context, though. You're right. The Omega was dropped off and the guy went and grabbed a fist full of games to play. Still, that video is an hour and a half long... An hour and a half of people saying they don't know anything about something they're spending an hour and a half showing. I just kind of wonder... What's the point? This didn't have to be a hard expose, but would it have been so hard if cool guy number two or three was clicking away on that laptop to maybe sprinkle the convo with a few facts about the games or at least seemed interested? I don't know, I'm probably too close to this subject material, but it just irks me. If I did that shitty of a job at my daily, I'd be on a performance improvement plan or shown the door with little or no remorse.

Last edited:

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm with Not Sonic-

Giantbomb does a ton of random, unplanned streams. It's part of why they are my favorite modern gaming site. They love games, and it comes through on their wiki-style site/podcast/video content. It's cool to be unhappy with how inaccurate they were with some information/pricing, but they probably decided to put this thing on at the last minute. I love their video content, and their quick-look format has informed several buying decisions for me.

If you guys look a bit deeper into the site, I think you'll find that they are a pretty thoughtful bunch of dudes.

Also - Jeff actually responded to me on Twitter when I asked him about which CMVS they were using and he responded, so if you guys have corrections or feedback, then I'm sure they would love to hear it.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
They do this stuff just to have content for the site i have yet to see an actual gamer that can play video games on these big game sites and i just facepalm watching them at the conventions it seems like they have never used a pad or stick in their life they always mashing

Being as good as you perceive yourself at video games is not a prerequisite for writing about video games.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
i was pretty happy to see the MVS get some love... also happy to see them using an OMEGA :D

they did correct themselves very slightly on the pricing of the system... the guy with the laptop... whoever he was... said it was $500 a little after his initial stuff up

Jeff's opinion on the NeoGeo X made me laugh my arse off

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
well, as most of you have said, there is a lot wrong with that feature/stream and yeah it pretty much is a waste of time... but such is the net.

Sites like Giant Bomb have their own audience that enjoy the stuff they do, most of it likely way less informed on a lot of the topics they touch. So I guess you have to view the stream as a first introduction to the Neo, like you would get from meeting a buddy you haven't seen for some time that is introducing his latest find (that you never heard of) to you over a beer - and with such a setting in mind, for people that know nothing or only little about the Neo the stream might be fun/illuminating/relaxing to watch.

After all for the Giant Bomb crowd this stream might just be a comfortable way to check out if the Neo is worth investing more research/time for them when they don't have the energy or mood to do so themselves at that particular moment, which I find quite understandable.

Blue Mary Mania 8

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm with Not Sonic-

Giantbomb does a ton of random, unplanned streams. It's part of why they are my favorite modern gaming site. They love games, and it comes through on their wiki-style site/podcast/video content. It's cool to be unhappy with how inaccurate they were with some information/pricing, but they probably decided to put this thing on at the last minute. I love their video content, and their quick-look format has informed several buying decisions for me.

If you guys look a bit deeper into the site, I think you'll find that they are a pretty thoughtful bunch of dudes.

Also - Jeff actually responded to me on Twitter when I asked him about which CMVS they were using and he responded, so if you guys have corrections or feedback, then I'm sure they would love to hear it.

I'm with both of you guys, Giant Bomb is a fantastic website with some real stellar dudes. And Jeff is quite a collector, he owns an AES and a bunch of homecarts including a Garou he paid top dollar for, because he loves it and it was worth it, same way we feel right?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I recommend Game Sack as a slightly more educated alternative.