Gunlord Speedrun Challenge!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I don´t know many people speedrunning this great game so let´s see if any of you guys would want to play Gunlord through as fast as you can.

Rules:

Dreamcast, AES or MVS version.
Arcade mode
Take a picture or video of the score and time screen after beating last boss.
1 CC
(We can check this by seeing your final score, it will be over 300 000 if you didn' t use continue)

Baseline run for you here, which has several minutes of room for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WpT-DTfj58&list=PLcULxLs0AjvST1q8malkUty5kj-JGb7xv

If someone does a better time than me by the end of the year, the fastest challenger will get a small reward in form of humble bundle gift url for some multiplatform (pc, mac os, linux) indie games, including sidescrolling puzzle physics shooter Rochard and modern vertizontal shmup wonder Jamestown. Runner up will have to make do with adventure games including certain zombie apocalypse. So get your ball rolling!

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Don't have teh Gunlord, but Jamestown is an amazing title and should make for a pretty damned fun prize if anyone can pull this off. Good luck!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Due to total lack of interest, I´ll relax the rules a little bit.

If nobody finishes arcade mode faster than me, the winner will be whoever finishes with 1 credit at all. (the faster, the better)

If nobody can even finish arcade mode with 1 credit at all, then the one who gets the game over in latest point in the game will win (so get a picture of your game over, top 10 score sheet, etc) If two best competitors game over´ed in same level, then one who posted the screenshot earlier will win. Remember, don´t use a continue! You lose points if you do so it is obvious if you did.

So there ought to be a winner if anyone at least gives it a shot.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Very impressive Mendel, that's was a beast of a run! I just started playing my copy last night. Heck I just want to be able to beat it for now lol. Your video cracked me up, I laughed my ass off when you yelled out in anger when dying the few times that you did. You kicked its ass that's for sure, the last boss looks like he could be a problem. Anyway I do the exact same thing its a wonder I haven't been kicked out of my apartment by now for yelling.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Mendel, can you please offer any advice beating the final boss?

I've got to the last boss a few times, but I can beat that fucker. Even with a few lives and continues stocked up.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
It is bit easier if you have saved up some of the special super waves to use if things get too rough. (so dont die in level 9 at least)
Early on in the battle you can concentrate on killing the green minions first and then killing the boss. Later on when the boss has less than half health left you should just try to ignore the minions while killing small green bullets with snake beam or super wave and firing up towards the boss with Phoenix weapon. Just be careful to fit yourself between the green and purple big ball projectiles. The medium sized green projectiles will be destroyed by the phoenix weapon so they are not much of a worry at all.

Still, it´s a tough motherfucker.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Mendel: your speed run is an incredible thing to watch, honestly. Nice job man!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Thanks. Gunlord is actually THE game that brought me to neo geo and dreamcast gaming.