Gundam Model -Kit & Toy Thread

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Gundam Model Kit & Toy Thread

Anyone into Gundam injection plastic kit building?

I just finished my one of longest gunplamo project - had to put it aside for quite a long time plus when I finally picked up could only work 10-20 minutes at night...

This is Bandai Master Grade (1/100 scale) Gundam RX-78-2 kit that I finished after starting eons ago - actually started before I got married...
along the way had to repaint in Max style though not quite happy with the result...
Also did little bit of customization - ditching the shield and putting extra nozzle where the beam sabers are used to be... and slightly different colour scheme...

what do you think? :D

also welcome if you have toy, especially chogokin toy as I also collect those as well...

Last edited:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
:buttrock: That's hot. I want that one, but first up for me is the Master Grade Strike Freedom Gundam whenever it comes out. I put a Master Grade God Gundam together about year or so ago and it was quite a learning experience. I got it done in one night as I didn't really take much care, nor am I skilled enough to paint. I hate thouse damn Gundam Markers as they didn't help me at all. I just managed to mess up my 1/144 Shining Gundam.

The only other models that are still holding up are my High Grade 1/144 RX-79 and my 1/100 Wing Gundam Zero Custom. All the others are wobbly pieces of plastics lying in a tuberware box.

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
one of my unfinished project is full scratch build s-gundam sentinel in 1/144 scale...
believe it or not i started back in high school but for one reason or another never got around to finish it...

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Weeee a thread made for me :)

1/100 Full Armour ZZ MG

MG%20Full%20Armour%20ZZ.JPG

1/100 HG Astray Blue

HG%20Astray%20Blue.jpg

1/100 EX-S Gundam MG ( biggest MG kit there is, apart from the Perfect Zeong )

EX-S%201.jpg

Heres one with a CD by him to show how big he really is!

EX-S%20Scale.jpg

These are the only individual Pics i have, i could do all of them but it would take too long and i cannot be bothered :)

RIMG0005.JPG

From Left to right:

MG MKII Gundam, MG Shining Gundam, HG Dragon Gundam, MG God Gundam, MG RX-78-5, HG Deathscythe Hell Custom, HG Heavy Arms Custom, MG FAZZ, MG Strike Gundam w/Aile Striker.

The Shelves going down from top to bottom from left to right:

MG Freedom Gundam, HG Astray Red, HG Astray Blue, HG Force Impulse Gundam, Buster Gundam & Finally Aegis Gundam.

Not Pictured, HG Double X Gundam, HG Leopard D & HG Airmaster Burst.

I have'nt bought any kits for a while, the guyver models range has been sucking me dry, but theres still a few MG kits i want :D

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
heh! not bad...

but you really need to do some spot painting and highliting if you can't be bothered with full painting...

I'm still mastering max style air brushing...
not quite happy with my RX-78-2... :crying:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Ive got the Shining Gundam that NeoD has.

These model kits arent the best thing in the world, no glue or anything. Plus they are pretty small.

Meh.

PS: I suck at model building. Ive got two fully put together models I did years ago (one is like a helicopter thing thats got a really long body like a hot dog and has wings and shit, the other is a Tie Interceptor) that are still blue gray from where I never painted the damn things.

Last edited:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
dj898 said:
heh! not bad...

but you really need to do some spot painting and highliting if you can't be bothered with full painting...

I'm still mastering max style air brushing...
not quite happy with my RX-78-2... :crying:

when i first started i was worried about painting them, but when i got my first couple of kits i was happy with how they were, and it dose'nt bother me at all now.

Plus i can't paint for shit!

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
here it shows the difference just lining plus bit of point painting can make. The rest are unpainted.:-D

m01n056wj.jpg

m01n067ka.jpg

and here's the shots what it would look like just assembling and bit of lining and spot painting can do.

h47006st.jpg

assembled out of box - just like plastic kit :mr_t:

h47026ls.jpg
h47030gb.jpg

bit of line and what a difference it can make :-D

*courtesy of dalong.net

Last edited:

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have brand new box of this thing.

1/60 Perfect Grade RX-78-2

one of my to do for 2006 is build this thing... :-D
kashi223img600x4501101104955ds.jpg

here's the picture of someone who did before me...

myweb120480067yx.jpg

myweb120480051nz.jpg

myweb120480033kv.jpg

myweb120490015ud.jpg

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
dj898 said:
I have brand new box of this thing.
one of my to do for 2006 is build this thing... :-D
kashi223img600x4501101104955ds.jpg

here's the picture of someone who did before me...

See now THATS a model worth doing.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
NeoDragoN said:
MG MKII Gundam, MG Shining Gundam, HG Dragon Gundam, MG God Gundam, MG RX-78-5, HG Deathscythe Hell Custom, HG Heavy Arms Custom, MG FAZZ, MG Strike Gundam w/Aile Striker.

The Shelves going down from top to bottom from left to right:

MG Freedom Gundam, HG Astray Red, HG Astray Blue, HG Force Impulse Gundam, Buster Gundam & Finally Aegis Gundam.

Not Pictured, HG Double X Gundam, HG Leopard D & HG Airmaster Burst.

I have'nt bought any kits for a while, the guyver models range has been sucking me dry, but theres still a few MG kits i want :D

Where do you order your kits from? I got my God Gundam from some place in Hawaii, but I can't remember the name. Looking at that MG Freedom I might go ahead and get one if I can, but hlj.com won't be restocked until October. :(

thundr51

Bead Banger
I've done about 3 models so far, MG HeavyArms Custom, MG Wing Zero, and RX-79 EZ8. I was fairly happy with the MG HeavyArms without paint but my Zero and RX-79 would really look good with some paint. I've tried to venture into this realm before but could never get the supplies I needed but now I have better resources. So, do you guys know of any tutorials for painting, maybe recommend some places to get paint,airbrushes, etc? I've got the "Gundam Weapons" mook and some the stuff in here is absolutely incredible but since it's all in japanese i'm lost as to how some of the techniques are applied.

Edit: Hey, what did you use to do the detail lines?

neo1087

Bead Banger
Oh man! I love these things, glad someone made a thread, I have about 12 of them,I love doing them,I'll try and take some pics.

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
thundr51 said:
So, do you guys know of any tutorials for painting, maybe recommend some places to get paint,airbrushes, etc? I've got the "Gundam Weapons" mook and some the stuff in here is absolutely incredible but since it's all in japanese i'm lost as to how some of the techniques are applied.

Have a look at these...
this is the infamous max style air brushing... (Still need a lot of practice to get it right though)

thundr51 said:
Edit: Hey, what did you use to do the detail lines?

you can use lining pen or use old brush-n-wipe trick... :p

Sundance

Sho's Rival
My 1st kit was teh Sazabi. I talked a dealer at our local anime con (Nan Desu Kan) down to $90 for it(this was back in 2000). I think it was one of the sweetest kits to put together. Since then i've built a few 1/144 Wing Gundams (which i gave to a friend), a Qubuley, RX-78 GP02A, & a MSA 0011 (EXT) EX-S. Next on my list is RX-93 NU Gundam, FA-010 Full Armor ZZ Gundam, & an MS-18E Kampfer that i got off of egay for cheap. I've generally buy 2 or 3 kits at the local anime con and then catch another 2 or 3 off of ebay.

Has anyone bought the 1/144 Dendrobium Kit? I want to pick one up but its quite expensive now.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
What online stores do you guys use? I'm going to look at eBay later on and hope I can find a Freedom for a good price. I think I may actually start painting. I'd really like to atleast try it once.

dj898

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
well it's been long while since this thread was discussed...
not so much as resurrect the thread but I've been trying to make time to repair my 1/100 full scratch built GunTank model that my old man found after years of storage at his place...

here are WIP pictures of full scratch 1/100 Guntank... It got damaged during its trip from my old man's place to Down Under... :(

p10506495op.jpg

hopefully I can fix this weekend... let's fingers crossed...

p10506503aa.jpg

here you can see the pieces of track that got broken/detached off... :(

p10506517oa.jpg

and the torso section which is intact :D

p10506522vf.jpg

nice shot of backpack...

p10506533gq.jpg

and in case anyone is wondering whether I'm pulling your leg and this is in fact 1/144 HG kit you can see the Tamiya cement bottle at here for comparison... he he

thundr51

Bead Banger
Looks good so far. I wish I had the guts to paint my models, too afraid i'll make too many mistakes...

Anyway, you can get some other stuff at Amazon for cheap. I picked up a GP02 (from stardust memory) and a Kampher(from War in the pocket) for just over $50 (including shipping) The GP02 alone retails for at least 75 so grabbing them both for under 50 was steal.

Now all I need is the supplies/skill to actually build them..

Sundance

Sho's Rival
thundr51 said:
Looks good so far. I wish I had the guts to paint my models, too afraid i'll make too many mistakes...

Anyway, you can get some other stuff at Amazon for cheap. I picked up a GP02 (from stardust memory) and a Kampher(from War in the pocket) for just over $50 (including shipping) The GP02 alone retails for at least 75 so grabbing them both for under 50 was steal.

Now all I need is the supplies/skill to actually build them..

I seem to remember there being some Japanese guides on how to paint Gundams but i don't know if they were ever translated/released over here. Might be worth looking into for pointers and whatnot.

I lucked out a couple of weeks ago and found a guy that owns his own japanese restaurant. Apparently he was getting married very soon and is selling all his video games and Gundam models. I got a FA-010-A FAZZ, an RGM-79[G] GM and an RX-79[G] all for $70. It was a better deal than i could of got anywhere else.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
wow i wish i had a camera two years ago to take pictures of all the models i had. the little high grades kits that cost like $6-$20 were my mainstay. i had at least 2 dozen different ones. from the zaku FZ, to the wing gundam, to a hong kong ripoff of the mobile sumo from turn-A. then i had a few master gradees. my MG char's gelgoog was my first model kit, my MG kaempfer was one of my favorites, my MG GP02A was fucking humongous, and the MG anavel gato's gelgoog was super rare. i had em all and had done line painting on all but anavel's gelgoog as it was this shiny metallic pink and didn't want to run the risk of messing it up. i learned how to do the line painting on a couple of models i sacrificed (high grade 1/000th scale deathscythe). and then i got my holy grail. my perfect grade char's zaku. i spent a week assembling it, and then another week painting it. and then they were all destroyed by an angry 10 year old sister who thought it would be fun to smash them. she got a goot punching. and i was left with no more motivation to build gundam models anymore. the love was gone, and the robots were destroyed. i wanna get another perfect grade kit or two and build them and paint them and just set em up somewhere safe, but not until i move out of my parents domain.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
NeoDragoN said:
1/100 EX-S Gundam MG ( biggest MG kit there is, apart from the Perfect Zeong )

EX-S%201.jpg

I just threw a kit for one of these away.
:oh_no:

I had about 6-8 kits just sitting in boxes that hadn't been touched. If I knew you guys liked them I would have given them to you for free.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Spike said:
I just threw a kit for one of these away.
:oh_no:

I had about 6-8 kits just sitting in boxes that hadn't been touched. If I knew you guys liked them I would have given them to you for free.
go dig em out of the trash man!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
It was like 2 months ago. :(